EMT-B vs. Medic wage UNFAIR

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey

You come onto a website where opinions and debate is what makes those forums great places to be, you expect to be called on an opinion and i would expect nothing less to towards any opinion i voice.

There are 2 things you can do, you can choose to nut things out in a constructive discussion, or you can take your bat and ball and go home which you have chosen to do - thats fine with us that your choice. If you feel this has been an attack you are either very easily offended, have misread the tone of the posts presented or have never truly been personally attacked before

I for one have seen no personal attacks carried out on any one in this thread, just discussion on opinion regarding the scenario at hand

Balls in your court................

Wow! That was an attack?..I must say for a supposed experienced field medic I would expect thicker skin.. I too did not see any attack .. rather a question, in which they still did not defend.

Like you said Bushy it is their choice, when one leaves two more enter...

R/r 911

I read NREMT-Basic's reply and I totally agree with him/her (cut me some slack, I'm new to this site lol). At my old company (i was there for almost 5 yrs) brand new EMT-I's would walk in making the same as I did and their ink wasn't even dry yet. Now keep in mind we didn't make much, heck our medics only made 10 an hr. But we mananged. It would make me sooo mad that they make the same as I did. After all the dedication I have given that company. So I think experience and dedication should be rewarded by a raise. And I agree with nremt-basic about the years of experience. I would much rather work with a basic that has been doing this for 25 years than work with a brand new medic. It seems to me that new medics haven't found their.........well own way of doing things. The new medic's I've worked with all to concerned about telling the pt. "I'm a paramedic" that actually treating the pt. They are so full of themselves. Maybe it's just the medics in Ohio, lol.

I just wanted to say that I agree with NREMT-Basic.

I never post as you can see, but I kinda got an inside view on some of this. I have been both sides of the fence here and (unfortunately) having worked at the same place Shira did, I agree with what she's talkin about. Starting salary vs. experienced employee. That horrible company paid every one the same. IE: EMTB's make 8/hr, EMTI's make 9/hr, EMTP's make10/hr. It doesn't matter if you have been there 1 day or 5 years. Raises came only twice in my 3 1/2 years there. Everyone got .25 and then everyone went to those rates I stated. And as a side note, if some one on the truck screwed up (in that companies eyes, both the medic and the basic got canned)

To hit on what emtpsaveu911 said, technically the "rule" was, no one discussed their pay. Of course not, cause it isn't right at any level. Apples to apples, if you and I are both medics, and you have been at the company 5 years to my 1, you should make more. Taking apples to oranges, a basic and a medic at the same company, both for 5 years shouldn't make the same, the medic should start out making more and continue to do so. However when you talk about raises are these performance based? Many aren't and they should be. In a little defense of basics (which I currently still am), I know every medic can think of a basic that they thought was dumber than a box of rocks and in turn think of one they would love to have as a permanent partner. Why? Because we all know the saying, "Good medics save patients and good basics save medics." Some basic are worth more than the average basic pay (whatever that may be).

It boils down to degrees really. Should a good basic(based on performance raises) with 15 years at a department or company make more than a new medic? Possibly. Should the basic pay top out at the same as the medic pay? Absolutely not. I think that part of her statement was missed a bit.

On a separate note. I'm trying to get out of Ohio due to the over abundance of Basics, Medic, Fire everything. I was looking at VA, NC and SC cause I heard there's alot of work down there. It's close enough to family, but what's the deal with having to reside there to get reciprocity? I'll take this to another topic, but asrnj77 mentioned something about Fairfax...ideas?

I can't, however, condone the childishness of the latest response.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.