Alcohol in EMS

Timmy

No No… Please re-read my first post. I really couldn’t give a rats what they did in their personal time even though I have a fair idea…

It’s when they come on duty with a hang over and whine and carry on about it.

When I stood back took a breath and observed what was going on, I found that people who don’t drink are excluded from the group, if you’re not getting drunk with us then what good are you, you can go stand in the corner and face the wall!

Even at regional training everyone has their own little groups and snigger and talk behind people’s backs.

Being underage I obviously can’t drink so when half the group decides to go to the pub and the other half stays back at the station or goes home. Now the next day the group that went to the pub pulled me aside and interrogated me asking what we did last night and what everyone said behind there back. I’m playing middle man… Volley services ay!?!

Do I have to look forward to this for the rest of my career??

In my book that just makes them asses, not alcoholics. Two different issues and there is help for one!

Don't fall for their crap, don't get caught in the middle.

SARgal

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I found that people who don’t drink are excluded from the group, if you’re not getting drunk with us then what good are you, you can go stand in the corner and face the wall

All the colleagues I have been involved with who don't drink are treated like gods because they can drive! It has never been my experience that they are excluded by the drinkers rather that they exclude themselves because who wants to be around a group of drunk people? I'm the same, I hate being around drunk people when I'm sober. We used to have an unwritten law when I worked out west for NSWAS that one of the people that was on-call went out with all the ambo's, coppers, nurses/Dr's etc in the "big white taxi" driving them from pub to pub. It's great fun early on when every one is just tipsy but later I used to dread it and wish for a case so I could escape, lol. Here's a quiz: How many drunk ambos/nurses/coppers etc fit in the back of an ambulance? Answer: you probably would not believe me if I told you :D

Here's a quiz: How many drunk ambos/nurses/coppers etc fit in the back of an ambulance? Answer: you probably would not believe me if I told you :D

Indeed I do...

In one episode of 'Cheers', Cliff is seated at the bar describing the

'Buffalo Theory' to his buddy Norm. I don't think I've ever heard the

concept explained any better than this...

"Well you see, Norm, it's like this... A herd of buffalo can only move

as fast as the slowest buffalo and when the herd is hunted, it is the

slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural

selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and

health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the

weakest members. In much the same way, the human brain can only operate (Quoted by EMTigger)

as fast as the slowest brain cells. Now, as we know, excessive drinking

of alcohol kills brain cells. But naturally, it attacks the slowest and

weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer

eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more

efficient machine. And that, Norm, is why you always feel smarter after

you drink a few beers."

________________________________________________________________________________

:D:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I think you need to be careful about branding someone an alcoholic!

I don't think that Timmy threw the term around unreasonably. Drinking with consequences is, by definition, alcoholism.

Yes, I see a lot of drinking in the medical community. When I worked nights at the Dallas County hospital ER, about half of the staff would go straight to a "morning happy hour" at a club that was open just for night-shifters every morning. Fifty doctors, nurses, respiratory therapists, cops, firemen, and medics stumbling out, completely blotto, into the noon sun and driving home. Popularity doesn't make something right. I have had two paramedic friends kill themselves with alcohol over the years. Face down in your own vomit is no way to be remembered as a medical professional.

The "weakest of the herd" analogy is interesting and applicable. You see, it is the weak ones who feel the need to follow the crowd. And losing them occasionally only makes the herd stronger.

Personally, I have a very strict rule about drinking. I won't touch the stuff if there is even the slightest chance that, within the next eight hours, I will have to drive, fight, or fornicate. And, because I remain eternally optimistic about my chances of getting lucky, I basically don't drink. :wink:

I won't touch the stuff if there is even the slightest chance that, within the next eight hours, I will have to drive, fight, or fornicate. And, because I remain eternally optimistic about my chances of getting lucky, I basically don't drink. :wink:

MUWaahahahaaha! and the big fella passes the post! :lol:

Drinking with consequences is, by definition, alcoholism.

I think it would be more accurately stated that drinking despite the consequences is, by definition, alcoholism.

SARgal

I think it would be more accurately stated that drinking despite the consequences is, by definition, alcoholism.

Ah... good point. But really, all drinking is despite the consequences.

The consequences of alcohol intoxication are universally known, and nobody drinks not knowing them.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.