Alcohol in EMS

Timmy

It has come to my attention that a LOT of EMS personal consume alcohol.

Both from hearing this from people on this forum and whilst working with other members in EMS.

I currently work with 3 alcoholics, they after a hard day make an effort to go to the pub and get smashed then the next day non stop whine about their hang over… And think that if other members don’t wana come have a drink with them then their seen as an outcast.

Is it because people find it easier to deal with their problems by wasting them away down a bottle or having a drink will make you forget about that bad patient for the night…. I don’t know???

There’s a division up the road from mine who really only have younger members, they every Friday night without fail go clubbing. Even the nurses from some hospitals around here get together for that big night.

Main reason I ask is; Whilst cruising the street at 2am one Friday night with some mates I was shocked to see our local medical contingent (nurses, medics, junior MDs, med students, nursing students, oncologist and even the friggen orderly) extremely inebriated out the front of one of our night clubs, most couldn’t walk.

While I understand that letting lose once in a while can be extremely beneficial, to be doing this on a regular basics does concern me.

I would like anyone to comment on this and maybe shed some light as to why I’m thinking this. Is this a normal practice in EMS? Do people on this site do they same?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Main reason I ask is; Whilst cruising the street at 2am one Friday night with some mates I was shocked to see our local medical contingent (nurses, medics, junior MDs, med students, nursing students, oncologist and even the friggen orderly) extremely inebriated out the front of one of our night clubs, most couldn’t walk.

If it wasn't for your seriouos question in your post this bit here would be hilarious.

I cant answer your question mate, but i can tell you its fairly normal behaviour for a uni student :shock:

It’s not so much that I care about them getting drunk but the fact that the people who I look up to and have taught me so much hide behind a bottle of spirits, it just seems so petty and weak!

I shall quote some anonymous paramedics and health care professionals from another forum:

there are many of us that are functioning alchies..and its all good, I am actually currently drunkish, and quite happy about it...I love the boozeness, as it makes me go home and look at the man I love whilist sleeping in our bed and NOT want to hold a pillow over his head till he stops kicking”

“Hey, I resent that statement. I'm a drunk, not an alcoholic. Alcoholics go to meetings.”

Comments like this are being made to kids who aspire to be paramedics one day.

I have also had comments like this directed at me in real life situations.

It’s not so much that I care about them getting drunk but the fact that the people who I look up to and have taught me so much hide behind a bottle of spirits, it just seems so petty and weak

Shutup you little do-gooder weasel, I bet I can drink more beer and shag more nurses than you before I puke! :occasion5: :bootyshake:

I have to admit, I am with Oz on this one.

Most of us in EMS have our lives run by the clock, on call commitments etc.

That means that when the opportunity presents itself, we drink. Sh*t Happens. We are not alone.

In many ways this is the tradional debrief for many & the best way of leaving the uniform behind & returning to a 'normal' life, whatever that may be. Alcoholism is a problem & needs to be addressed & mostly we, as a fraternity look after our own.

The rules of tour apply here.

"What happens on tour, stays on tour"

Which nurses do you wanna shag Oz?

Phil

What are the rules your services have for alcohol consumption? We're not supposed to drink at least 8 hours before our shift. We have random drug testing as well. If they find any in your system while you're on shift, you're gone.

When we are on duty we have to register a Zero.

On call we can blow 0.02%, so about 1 beer.

Phil

Unfortunately I wish the same could be said about some of the volunteer fire departments we respond with on calls. For the most part I haven't ran into many problems on scene, but I'm sure it's only a matter of time with the exploding call volume. No matter how small the department, I think they should all take drinking seriously, especially since they are our first responders and rescue crews.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.