Alcohol in EMS

Timmy

In opposing Prohibition, Bertrand Russell wrote that not everyone can get through life without an anesthetic.

When one manager received a questionnaire asking him to list all the employees in his department broken down by sex, he answered, "Drinking is more of a problem around here."

Personally, I'm with Woody Allen, who explained that "Jews don't drink, because it dulls the pain."

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my service you gotta be zero.

The volley FD is a different story… We had a callout to a grass n scrub threatening property. The poor people who decided to have a fire next to there house on Melbourne Cup day won’t do that again! :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :P:|:|:|

Personally I understand why some people drink. It's their way of destressing. We all have different methods, and I don't necessarily think alcohol is one of the best, but it surely isn't the worst either.

I don't drink much, and I don't drink often. I understand the kind of alcohol consumption that involves sitting around the poker table (or dartboard or billiards table etc etc) with some of your best mates, drinking a couple of whatever you like to drink the most.

I don't understand the reckless abandon that goes with slamming down as many shots as you can in a 30 minute time stretch, so you end up vomiting for 4 hours while your sober friends nurse you with water and wheat thins; I don't understand getting so drunk that you can't control most of your actions and/or bodily functions.

I can't understand getting drunk on every night off. Or slowly increasing your tolerance to include more and more of the deadly stuff. I also can't understand smoking.. I understand nicotine, believe me from the little I've tried, it makes perfect sense... but the act of smoking and inhaling carcinogens outweighs that by a ton.

But then again, my destress methods involve dry ice bombs, hiking, way too sugary coffee drinks, choral singing, zombie tag, sledding on cafeteria tra... I mean red oblong sleds, and just curling up in the arms of my significant other. I will freely admit there have been many days where had alcohol been available to me, I would have gone at it to try to escape a little bit of the pain I was feeling at the time... but I now am highly grateful that those days never presented that opportunity. I think you learn a lot more about what's important if you face your troubles head on instead of hiding from them in a bottle... but not everyone is willing to go through the utter hell that facing those is.

Anyway... enough philosophy and sad memories for the evening.

Stay safe, everyone, and if you do drink be smart- preload the water and some food, drink water as you're drinking and if you need a vehicle to get home, get a DD or a taxicab. And don't abandon your mates.

Wendy

CO EMT-B

MI EMT-B

I currently work with 3 alcoholics, they after a hard day make an effort to go to the pub and get smashed then the next day non stop whine about their hang over

I think you need to be careful about branding someone an alcoholic! If they 'make an effort' after a hard day; is every day a hard one? Do they drink on their off duty days? Do they have to drink every day?

As for you seeing your local medical contingent having a night out and being extremely inebriated; I don't think that is all that uncommon. When I have been part of a station night out (which isn't that often), we all party hard. Like the saying goes...'Work hard, party hard.' We all work in a fairly intense environment, and when we do get a chance to get together socially, we do let our hair down.

I don't think alcohol abuse is a problem in my area of EMS, I can't talk for others.

In one episode of 'Cheers', Cliff is seated at the bar describing the

'Buffalo Theory' to his buddy Norm. I don't think I've ever heard the

concept explained any better than this...

"Well you see, Norm, it's like this... A herd of buffalo can only move

as fast as the slowest buffalo and when the herd is hunted, it is the

slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural

selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and

health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the

weakest members. In much the same way, the human brain can only operate

as fast as the slowest brain cells. Now, as we know, excessive drinking

of alcohol kills brain cells. But naturally, it attacks the slowest and

weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer

eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more

efficient machine. And that, Norm, is why you always feel smarter after

you drink a few beers."

I have always had a problem with people who are in certain professions/occupations being held up as "shining examples" of what people should aspire to be. If one is a doctor, he/she is a doctor, and the example you should expect to follow is a medical one, not a personal or private life one.

Timmy - those people who have taught you so much are worthy or your respect, regardless of what they do in their personal lives. The things you learn are the things you need to know as an EMS practitioner. If you are looking for people who are good role models for your personal life, you would be just as likely to find them in so-called menial or non-public positions. Being in any medical profession does not necessarily mean that they are going to have their private lives completely under control to the point you might prefer.

The point is - they ARE their private and personal lives, and should be left that way. As long as extra-curricular activities don't interfere with job activities, why would it matter?

No No… Please re-read my first post. I really couldn’t give a rats what they did in their personal time even though I have a fair idea…

It’s when they come on duty with a hang over and whine and carry on about it.

When I stood back took a breath and observed what was going on, I found that people who don’t drink are excluded from the group, if you’re not getting drunk with us then what good are you, you can go stand in the corner and face the wall!

Even at regional training everyone has their own little groups and snigger and talk behind people’s backs.

Being underage I obviously can’t drink so when half the group decides to go to the pub and the other half stays back at the station or goes home. Now the next day the group that went to the pub pulled me aside and interrogated me asking what we did last night and what everyone said behind there back. I’m playing middle man… Volley services ay!?!

Do I have to look forward to this for the rest of my career??

(People are always shocked when they find out I used to strip for cash, as it made me less of a medical provider)

OMG! It would be so very, very easy to hijack this thread right now. :D I'll try stay focused...

It's true that certain professions are held to some higher standard than other professions. You never hear people gripe about seeing their garbage man at the corner bar last Saturday being completely toasted. But let that be their kids' teacher, their psychologist, etc...

I had a friend who taught high school in Wisconsin who came to Michigan when she wanted to cut loose. It was safer than running into a parent or student (at the time the legal age in WI was 18, I think).

This topic also keeps popping up on The City forums. Every time an EMS person gets nailed for something or other.

Surprise.

We're human.

SARgal

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.