I missed this lesson in paramedic school & the fire acad

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I noticed the same thing as Anthony. That guy came strutting through there with a swagger and his chest all puffed out, obviously looking for confrontation. I could tell that much in the very beginning, when it looked as if he were just some guy headed out the door. Went right up into the face of the firefighter in the IN doorway instead of out the out doorway. This arsehole was looking for the $hit, and he got more than he bargained for. Once a threat is made, he who strikes first then wins. Look who won. Nuff said.

I don't think he can justify that, the guy wasn't going anywhere at that point.

You watching a different video from the rest of us? How can you tell? I sure couldn't tell from that video. Besides, he doesn't have to "go anywhere" in order to continue his fight and cause injury. A couple of nice rib kicks took the fight out of him real fast, didn't it? The struggle stopped immediately after that. I'd say that is great justification, right there. Beats the hell out of a choke hold, positional asphyxia, beating his face in, or worse yet, the struggle continuing long enough to allow him to hurt somebody else. And ending the fight right there allowed the medic to immediately return to the patient. There is another justification for you.

The bald guy took charge and let it be known that anybody else who thought they could strut in and start some $hit was in for the exact same treatment, and rightly so. You can't show weakness to a building full of dirtballs. They'll eat you for lunch.

The best part of the video was the cop waltzing in and dragging the scrote out of there on his face without any hesitation. Kudos to the cops for coming in and immediately rectifying the situation and cleaning up the scene without a bunch of pansy arse formalities.

The question is what was said, or what was the body language, that caused the firefighter to go after the guy? There is someone else standing in the line of the sight between the camera and the skell, so there is no clear shot.

Either way, there is NO justification for kicking the guy when he's already down.

I'm no opposed to taking someone down if he's a danger to me, my partner, himself or anyone else.

I have done it before, as I'm sure some of you have. A 78yo male hypoglycemic who we couldn't approach d/t violence, so while we were waiting for police he decides he's going to attack my partner by running at him and grabbing him around the neck. We took him down on the front lawn infront of 10 neighbours. Mind you, we didn't kick him once down. No complaints from him or any of the bystanders. Even if there had been, I wouldn't care because my partner and I are okay because we did it.

If these firefighters perceived that this person was a danger to them based on his words, demeanor and actions, then I am okay with them 'taking him down.'

I don't think the kicks were necessary, but none of us were there and there were firemen blocking our view of the guy when the kicks happened, so we don't know what he was doing at the time - maybe he was biting one of the guys or something.

I think an investigation should take place to determine what happened. I also think the findings will be that the firefighters were right to protect themselves.

I think an investigation should take place to determine what happened. I also think the findings will be that the firefighters were right to protect themselves.

Roger that.

We are not required to fight a certain amount of time, or sustain injury before we can take measures to end the fight. That's what these guys did, and I'm behind them one hundred percent.

I hope they took his wallet too! :lol:

• 3 months later...
A Portland fire lieutenant who was caught on videotape last January kicking a man while other firefighters pinned the man to the floor won't be charged with a crime.

http://www.jems.com/news/286001/

Nice to see being a member of the Union has it's advantages...... shame the defenseless and those of low social are not able to have one. Sorry, the camera did not lie. Remember ....what comes around... goes around.

Well, there goes my respect to Portland FD .. p.s. amazing the link JEMS has does not mention the lawsuit...hmmm.

R/r 911

Oh Rid you don't know the half of it. I lost respect for the Portland Fire Bureau when Bush 1 was in office. Keep in mind this is the FD that decided on their own to take over the 911 ambulance service without a public vote. When a public outcry led to a vote they lost to AMR. They had gone as far as to buy ambulances and hire paramedics, when they lost the vote they cut the medics pay and made them firefighters. Real fair.

Both the Portland Police and Fire Bureaus get away with murder (literally) all the time. Portland politics are as dirty as anything that ever came out of Tammany Hall, maybe worse.

Peace,

Marty

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.