Mandatory lunch break a good idea?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It all depends on your systems resources. If you have enough squads to handle the call volume, or more then necessary you probaby wouldn't need a "set" meal break.

Where is this utopian service you speak of? Do they have good equipment, aggressive protocols and CE program and professional rates of pay ;)

The point is that it should be a mandated set of minimum employment conditions that are based on principles of fair and safe workplace practices, and a part of this mandate should be fatigue management of which a guaranteed rest break of 30 mins is a part of.

Much like kiwi, we have a minimum set of employment conditions set out in our award, breaches of it by our employer are able to be prosecuted through the national legislated industrial authority of Fairwork Australia. A part of this is rest breaks, between shifts, maximum number of shifts in a row, and lunch breaks. We have a "window" of opportunity between 4 and 5.5 hours into our shift in which lunch should occur. If, for operational needs we work through that window, we are then placed on lunch and are only available to respond to priority 1 and 0 cases for a period of 1 hour. If your unable to get your break in during the second window, you are then are only able to respond to priority 0, the most urgent of cases until you complete an uninterrupted break. As priority 0 are fairly uncommon its very likely you will get a meal break in. in a 10 hour shift from 0800-1800 you will get your meal in at about 1430 if you over run all the windows of opportunity.

I know this is a "guaranteed break" as it should be, but we are working on it.

• 2 weeks later...

To the manager who thinks UK Ambo's have time to sit around and use facebook etc, then you are wrong! I've worked the UK system for the last 7 years and have been working in Aus for the last year.

You just cannot comprehend the sort of workload UK services see on a daily basis. London Ambulance Service covers 620 square miles and a population of over 7 million (over 12,000 people per square mile). There is 70 Ambulance Stations, 400 Ambulances and 100 Rapid Response vehicles. LAS CAD figures are 5-5,500 per 24hr period....yes 5,500 Emergency calls in 24hrs! Turn around times at hospital are monitored and you get a job dropped on you as soon as you clear...it's a full shift of work with NO downtime except for the mandatory 30min break.

As far as I am concerned, it is up to the service to ensure that there is adequate resources to meet demand. This is not my job as a Paramedic...managers are meant to ensure this therefore any deaths attributed to poor cover is NOT our fault.

Edited by theotherphil

Richard B will tell you, in NYC 911 you can request a 10-100 or "facilities", for two ten minute breaks on eight hours. My understanding is that on a 100 you're less recommended but can still be given a job in certain circumstances. For facilities, they'll call you, and you must answer, but can refuse the job by saying "My partner is still using facilities." Richard B could give us the most accurate info.

Don't have to. You did quite well without me, grasshopper.

Really? So what do they expect the staff to do for food? If you're not allowed to bring food then how exactly are you supposed to eat during your shift?

The bosses would say, "Not MY problem", while mid level management would say "I wish I could help you, but..."

And why would they prohibit food in the vehicle?

Think of all the "nasties" you are trying to eliminate when you do a Blood Borne Pathogen Decontamination of the vehicle. While I try to keep the window between the cab and the cabin closed, this can be a concern, even when "brown bagging" it.

By the way, not sitting in the cab when eating is nice when the weather cooperates, but try doing that during heavily inclement weather.

It all depends on your systems resources. If you have enough squads to handle the call volume, or more then necessary you probaby wouldn't need a "set" meal break.

If that were the case, then one could argue that having a mandatory, out of service meal break shouldn't be an issue since there's adequate coverage otherwise. It's desireable to work that into the contract earlier on, in case they fail to expand coverage and staffing in the future to keep pace with population/business growth.

Don't have to. You did quite well without me, grasshopper.

The bosses would say, "Not MY problem", while mid level management would say "I wish I could help you, but..."

Think of all the "nasties" you are trying to eliminate when you do a Blood Borne Pathogen Decontamination of the vehicle. While I try to keep the window between the cab and the cabin closed, this can be a concern, even when "brown bagging" it.

By the way, not sitting in the cab when eating is nice when the weather cooperates, but try doing that during heavily inclement weather.

Yeah the nasties are a concern, but it's somethting we deal with. One thing I hate about my services' older Crestline trucks is that they don't have a separate outside compartment for personal belongings.

I try not to eat in the truck, but sometimes I will snack on a banana or something. It's unavoidable. Thankfully my service has bases throughout it's catchment area so (in theory) we are sent to a base between calls.

I really dislike having to buy food when working. The food is generally crap, it's bad for you, and it's expensive, and there are probably just many nasties in the back of a McDonalds as there are in the back of your truck lol.

I really dislike having to buy food when working. The food is generally crap, it's bad for you, and it's expensive, and there are probably just many nasties in the back of a McDonalds as there are in the back of your truck lol.

I think I can confirm. I worked at a Micky D's summer of 1970.

I think I can confirm. I worked at a Micky D's summer of 1970.

Its was probably better for you then than it is now.

Rotten ronnies is hardly a substitute for anything else that's legally deemed fit for human consumption.

Yeah the nasties are a concern, but it's somethting we deal with. One thing I hate about my services' older Crestline trucks is that they don't have a separate outside compartment for personal belongings.

That's why I love the new Demers trucks and their side compartments. Less unsecured baggage in the back and my lunch, PPE and pillow and blanket have a convenient spot to stay.

I think the key with lunch breaks is to create an obligation on the service's part. During our breaks we're only immune from standby's, routine transfers and non-emerg (Code 3) calls. If an emerg (Code 4) call comes in, you still have to go, but then you're supposed to get another meal break right after. Failure to have a meal break in your designated window (3-5th hour and 7-9th hours) allows you to claim an extra $15.00 per missed break. The service has financial incentive to provide adequate coverage for crews to get downtime, but the public's safety isn't compromises by having calls ignored.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.