Pager 6th sense?

akroeze

Wendy- Your theory amazes me. I think it delves into our very psyches. I like that and I don't think you're crazy.

I also think part of it is that every person is intuitive and if they choose to develop that ability it becomes a real gift. Many times I have heard the phrase "womens intuition" but I firmly believe men have it too. It's just that most men choose not to allow themselves to follow it. In the EMS field they can't help but to follow their intuition because it helps to save the lives of many. While we have skills that tell us what we should be doing next, it's our intuition that guides us. I say this because have you ever been on a call, your pt is stable. BP, pulse, SAT, and RR are all within normal range. As you're transporting you start to prep everything you'll need for when he/she will crash. You step back and wonder to yourself why? Two minutes later for no reason at all the patient crashes but guess what? You're ready. It's intuition. You don't know why you had every thing ready because as stated your patient was stable. No signs or symptoms to tell you other wise.

I think as EMS personnel we become more intuitive and that is why we are able to wake up before the pager tones or are able to say what the call is going to be, although some people may say it is from previous experience and trends.

I think it would be awesome for one of the Universities to do a study on this in the EMS field.

Well, at least you're not alone in the crazy wagon. I guess I'm sitting right next to you. Who knows, maybe I'm the driver

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, I'm big on finding out explanations for the seemingly "weird" or crazy coincidences. Often it has to do with the subconcious recognizing patterns that we don't conciously keep track of or notice.

So far I've got the reason I perk up like the radio's about to put out a call is because when dispatch clicks their mic, there's a second or two of an electronic buzz...it's even subtler than that...almost like a little charge on the radio...I didn't even realize it did that until I started studying my responses.

As far as waking up in the middle of the night for a call...the best I can think of is that we have patterns to when calls happen. There seems to always be a 3:05 to 3:15 call...I don't know why. But I've come out of sleep for this one, think about how we're going to get a call, and then hear the phone ring. Stuff like that.

I wouldn't be surprised if, over time, our brains adapt to sudden rushes of epi/norepi and physical activity after the pager goes off- realize also that an electronic signal has to activate that pager.

Who's to say our brain, like an antenna, doesn't pick up the signal just before it reaches the pager, recognized it as an "Action Signal," and start dumping the chemicals thus waking us up?

I've had similar experiences, especially with the waking up before the call (and this was to a camp radio that wasn't linked in to a scanner system. No chatter beforehand- just waking up and grabbing the radio and my glasses and having it go off before I realized what I was doing) You don't talk about these kinds of things much to other people, because most people go A: you're nuts B: it's coincidence or C: Really? Can you talk to my dead grandmother?

Does it help you? Does it hinder you? Depends on how you react to it. Personally I've kind of started to treat it like a patient's history... unless there's enough other pieces for it to make sense or until I discover something else that corresponds with it, it's just another possible piece of information. Might be completely bogus for all I know.

So, who thinks I need to head for the padded room? Remember, it's just a theory.... it's actually an interesting blend between philosophy and physics (the boys and gals in the physics labs are starting to play with the idea of fluid time a little bit, which is why I find it fascinating).

Who's next? More theories? Ready to stuff my theory in my ears?

Wendy

CO EMT-B

MI EMT-B

================================================================================

I dream of future events, sometimes they will occur now, tomorrow or in the near future.

I had a dream that grey ash would fall, this sets forth a volcanic eruption and wipes out a town. People are dead and some have jumped into the sea to avoid being burned. (You are there, you see this, yet it turns out to be a fire out of control).

I had another dream, this time I watched a plane crash on top of the ocean. I watched it hit the water 3 times, this playing over and over again. (You are there, by now you are just a bystander watching as if it were a movie in reverse).

Wednesday I fell asleep in the afternoon and again I had this eery dream of walking down the road and meeting these ppl, apparently I know them very well. (You start a conversation with them, you dont know what the conversation is).

You can call me crazy, you might be able to explain it or it was just a dream, but I will tell you this, whether you are imagining this or are wide awake, it will be the worst nightmare you will wish was only a dream.

6th Sense beyond our imaginations

I believe that time is fluid. That is, that time is kind of like water- it can move forwards, backwards, in different branches, it can loop around on itself and it can move at different speeds.

First off, Einstein would b**ch slap you if he was still alive. Second, your "theory" completely ignores decades of validated research on the subject. I realize that this is your theory and that you are entitled to your opinion but even theories have to have some research that supports them, no matter how trivial. Before you say there is no research and that is why it is called a theory let me just say that most of these theories that everyone speaks of are only called theories because they can't be proven correct in 100% of instances. So they are never stated to be a law of physics. Every researcher would insist on some type of plausible evidence to support your idea before they would grant the title of even being a theory. If you would like to do some research on this subject then I would be very interested in the results so please post them. You mentioned elsewhere in your post that there might be researchers working on this currently. If you have links to that info then please post those as well. I try to stay up to date on the latest physics research that they are always coming up with, so this would be of interest to me.

When it happens multiple times with multiple people and events, then it's not so likely to be coincidence anymore.

Have you ever stopped to consider that maybe you don't wake up before a call because you know it was coming. Maybe it only seems like this happens. I find it much more likely that you probably wake up numerous times a night and don't ever think anything of it when you don't get a call. Your mind rememebers the times that you wake up and then get a call more than when you don't. It only remembers when something out of the ordinary happens. Occam's Razor states that the simplest answer is most likely the correct one. Is it more likely that it seems like you wake up before calls due to some type of time paradox in which a future reality channels back through a time loop into your brain so that you know to wake up, or that your brain just places more importance on times you get calls after you wake up creating the illusion that you have some kind of combination between precognition and some weird time loop that its meir presence would negate a century of research.

So, Nick, was that tact, sarcasm, or something completely different there? :?

How long have you been having these little outbursts?

Are you capable of posting without them, or is it a compulsion that you lack the ability to control?

Have you thought of getting this checked out by a professional?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.