Just how much does your friend mean to you?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally, I would have given up the job as soon as they told me that I would have to watch closely while people peed. :?

It's a moot point. After a week, it won't show in his system anyhow.

I've been a supervisor before and had to administer the drug tests post accidents. I've been asked several times to let them go in by themselves to pee. I never let them.

When you take on the responsiblity of drug testing and carrying out the tests then you effectively cannot have any friends because you are now the bad guy. Many people will ask special favors for the testing and you cannot selectively choose who you give those favors to.

If you are not able to do the job and do it right in an impartial way then you should not be doing that job.

I was told many times that they liked me better before I became the supervisor as I did things by the book. I feel that I was fair and balanced(to take a quote from somewhere) and treated everyone the same.

But you took on this job so you have to do it with impartiality.

But to answer your question I would not have tipped him off.

When I was on the camping trip with him why didn't I say "dude what are you doing, you know we do random drug tests at work."

I might be crazy but I thought doing drugs, which is the technically term for smoking a joint while camping, is illegal. We seem to be treating this like doing 75 in a 55mph.

1) Yes I give him a heads up, what is he going to do... drink a bottle of canola oil (to get the thc out of his system)?

2) I didn't pick his name out I just hand out the cups.

Then again I might be the kind of person who didn't know how to do things "recreationally" only"daily" :oops:

We have random drug testing as well as testing any time an accident occurs while on duty. Everyone is made aware of the policy when hired. I've had to take into consideration cutting short the partying the day before my shift and I don't do drugs, because I love my job and want to keep it. You have to consider the safety and well-being of yourself, your partner, and your patients. I wouldn't give your friend any special treatment. He shouldn't have to worry much anyways if he smoked a week ago-unless, of course, he's lying. I don't think it stays in the system that long.

Actually most of the drug and urine samples products that will produce "negative" results are bogus. If the urine test is specific and if the laboratory is up to most of the national levels for being reputable, will detect all the B.S. to neutralize etc.. as well levels are caught way after a couple of weeks and as well detect second versus from sole service.

Court mandated tests are very specific..

R/r 911

What is this about drug testing "post-accident" on the job? Car accident? Drug error? Treatment error?

I'll assume it is post car accident. So regardless of the nature of the accident you have bought yourself a drug test? HUH? You're kidding right? Do police in the US/your county do breathalizers on every driver who is involved in an accident? Regardless of how the driver presents/incident history? I will assume not, they do it on subjective/objective criteria based on scene events. Not blindly on every person.

And if it isn't done for drug/treatment errors, why not? It would seem just as reasonable.

http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=606409

I know little about urinalysis, drug screening, THC metabolism, etc... But the thread at least gives evidence supported by research. If it is incorrect or mistaken, please support your assertion.

I especially like "...correct interpretation of the test results is much more important than the results themselves." Very true, and goes back to observing patterns of potentially detrimental behavior before approaching the employee with drug testing/EAP/etc...

According to the google thread a positive test can happen with some patients months after last ingestion. Sorry, automatic termination based a single tests without correct interpretation, history taking, observing behavior, etc.... Is wrong, and probably why it isn't done here.