If you are a Paramedic, will you work in an ALS service BLS

johnrsemtp

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I smell hungry attorneys that are scraping anything to settle out for...

Although, I agree, why couldn't they temporary stock?...But if the truck was "designated" as a BLS, then it is a BLS truck.. period.

It all comes down to policies, and level of care preformed. One cannot be prepared for everything and as long as care within the scope for that unit was given.. and ALS was either summoned or called for/ transferred to etc.. then no damage was done.

R/r 911

Does Boston EMS ring a bell. I believe most of their BLS trucks are staffed by medics, waiting to be promoted.

Man, that's gotta suck. What is Boston's problem? There is nothing worse than snootiness in EMS. Look, paramedicine is not brain surgery, despite what some of the emotionally disturbed members of this profession may try and make it out to be. How many nurses are working as ER techs waiting to get promoted, lol. Look, you have two medics, throw some syringes at them, toss 'em an EKG monitor and some narcotics and have 'em go save some lives. They'll be happier and your system will be better two.

Okay, now, as for me, so long as I get my paycheck, I'll mop the floors if they want me too. Anyone who thinks working a BLS bus is somehow below them needs to get a life and seriously reevaluate themselves.

sorry for the 1st post; It wasn't that they didn't have stocked ALS trucks; they didn't have enough narcotics to put another medic out on the street;

After talking to dispatch I would have been working on a medic truck, just with no narcotics, which we have had medics get in trouble with our medical director for that since they couldn't do what they are supposed to do in the ALS protocols, much less while calling a hospital to tell them what is coming in.

I find this interesting ... especially coming from Dust and Rid.

I'm coming from the same standpoint as Asys, heck, I DO mop the floors of my station on a weekly basis!

The point though, is that even though you may be classified as a BLS provider, you still have the education and ability to perform ALS assessments. Isn't that the whole point of Advnaced care? Just because you have fewer 'toys' to support your way of doing things, doesn't mean it still can't be done.

That being said, now that I think about it, I would LOVE for a US trained/certified EMT-P or CCEMT-P to come and practice ALS for a few days in Ontario. You guys would go NUTS. You know how many drugs we carry? On average, 18, 5 to 6 of them available for our BLS crews to use independently. ALCS meds? Let's see ... we only have 3 or 4 depending on the service. And, no choice to choose between Lidocaine or Amiordarone as it's prechosen for you by your service which one they want to carry. No access to RSI even .... and yet, in most cases, we have 3 to 4 years of education to attain our ALS level. Talk about having your hands tied behind your back ...

peace

Quoting: Asysin2leads

Okay, now, as for me, so long as I get my paycheck, I'll mop the floors if they want me too. Anyone who thinks working a BLS bus is somehow below them needs to get a life and seriously reevaluate themselves.

Asy Dood! Let me tell you a little story K?

Did that ONCE......"nothing will happen".....So a multiple stabbing victum , 30 min transport time, no ALS available (busy) No intubation gear, no big bores to decompress chest, (or caths long enough) limited IV fluids (at the time BLS was not permitted to start lines) no meds to deal with arrythmias and the eventual the arrest, that is positivley a T-shirt I will NOT wear...... period.

Here in Mooseville we have legislation that one MUST perform to ones ability and training otherwise you could be looking at a Criminal negligence suit. Frankly the time and 1/2 is not worth the paperwork, QA investigation, Court Time and the very real possibility of a "fatalities inquiry" (I guess I forgot to mention this occured in a federal penitentary?) So when asked 4 years later to do a standby @ a Forest Fire "OC" ....Out of Control, 40 miles from the closest ER and with the normal 2 bags of N/S on board the truck.

Please fill in the blanks: _ _ _ _ ...... _ _ _ !

But for time and 1/2 I will Mop floors, and I will even do windows.. :lol:

cheers

I find this interesting ... especially coming from Dust and Rid.

I'm coming from the same standpoint as Asys, heck, I DO mop the floors of my station on a weekly basis!

The point though, is that even though you may be classified as a BLS provider, you still have the education and ability to perform ALS assessments. Isn't that the whole point of Advnaced care? Just because you have fewer 'toys' to support your way of doing things, doesn't mean it still can't be done.

That being said, now that I think about it, I would LOVE for a US trained/certified EMT-P or CCEMT-P to come and practice ALS for a few days in Ontario. You guys would go NUTS. You know how many drugs we carry? On average, 18, 5 to 6 of them available for our BLS crews to use independently. ALCS meds? Let's see ... we only have 3 or 4 depending on the service. And, no choice to choose between Lidocaine or Amiordarone as it's prechosen for you by your service which one they want to carry. No access to RSI even .... and yet, in most cases, we have 3 to 4 years of education to attain our ALS level. Talk about having your hands tied behind your back ...

peace

Uh, welcome to most states protocols (at least in the southern states of the US I am familiar with) we carry 21 drugs...but hey...they are adding glucagon and thiamine this year! Who Hoo! And of course no RSI--even though we were 'trained' and 'tested' for it...hahah that was a joke.

Anytime I can come up and work in Canada? Would prefer the summer to escape the humidity down here!

Just tell me where and when to report and will show you a thing or two.

After talking to dispatch I would have been working on a medic truck, just with no narcotics, which we have had medics get in trouble with our medical director for that since they couldn't do what they are supposed to do in the ALS protocols, much less while calling a hospital to tell them what is coming in.

See, I just find this whole claim incredible. I honestly cannot believe it ever has or ever would happen. We don't determine truck stock. And we don't determine the level that our truck is licensed to operate at. This whole situation has ZERO to do with us as medics. Nothing. Zip. Nada. Zilch. That would be like faulting a paratrooper for not jumping out of a plane when you failed to provide him a parachute. Think about it; if a truck breaks down, are the individual medics personally liable for not responding to the run? Of course not. They don't own the truck. They are not contracted to deploy the truck. And they are not mechanics. This is the very same situation. And I would very much like to see anybody come up with a link or reference to verifiable case law -- or even legal statute -- that validates this theory. Such a law would essentially mandate that we all carry a full compliment of ALS equipment and supplies on our persons 24/7. Not likely.

I'm not saying it is impossible. I know the legal system is farked up. Especially up north. I'm just saying this is entirely improbable, and sounds more like an urban legend than anything else.

Late Entry:

For Time and 1/2 I change tires too. :lol:

Dust when you hit the border go West (Young man?) Go west....quoting somebody... :twisted:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.