Paramedic's tell me a what a new EMT should not do to......

BEWARE of Paragod syndrome. . .this incurable illness afflicts many in our profession. . .just read 75% of the above comments. The symptoms of this disease are arrogance, intolerance, and forgetfullness. We All started @ the basic level. Some of us may now think we are gods, but we're not. We seem to have forgotten that , yes, we too were once the FNG. (Phucking New Guy). Anyway, some of the medics you will work with will be really laid back, helpful, and all around nice people. Others will just be dics. Remember that you are part of a team, and although the paramedic may be in charge, he/she does need your help. It may be "my" ambulance, "my" scene, "my" cot, "my" everything to quote a fellow medic, but its also "his" power trip, "his" arrogance, and "his" obsessive compulsive disorder or whatever.

You are correct. There are a lot of a-holes in EMS, at all levels. Mostly at the management level, but I digress. 8)

I call it my ambulance and my cot and my scene and my patient because I take personal responsibility for all of the above. Personal responsibility is a good thing, and it is encouraged by true professionals. Before you go throwing names around, you should know what you are talking about. Your first paragraph indicated that you did know what you were talking about. Then you went and blew a great deal of your credibility with a petty snap judgement.

Nice ending statement though! :D

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

JON_E, some p!ssing matches are fun to read, but I gotta tell you, I think you're way off base on this one. You had some valid points, but really you chose the wrong individual. I know Dustdevil can come off a little on the hard side, but here's how I read this:

Dust has been doing this for a long time. He seems passionate about excellence in medical care. He has seen, I am sure, thousands of wannabes, glory seekers, and lazy idiots. None of them would want to stick around Dust for very long. I do believe he adopts an attitude that immediately weeds through all the b*llshit because he just doesn't have time for stupidity. I would be willing to bet, that if some BLS provider demonstrated a degree of intelligence, drive, knowledge, skill, and passion for medicine, that he would be a staunch mentor. Dust has more experience than I ever will, and as such, he is an extremely valuable resource. I have grown to have immense respect for Dustdevil, as I'm sure have many others.

And if that doesn't at least give you pause for some reflection, remember this: when you and I go off duty, we get to go home to our nice beds and Barc-a-Loungers. I don't think they stop throwing rockets and blowing up trucks when Dusts day is over.

I call it my ambulance and my cot and my scene and my patient because I take personal responsibility for all of the above. Personal responsibility is a good thing, and it is encouraged by true professionals. Before you go throwing names around, you should know what you are talking about. Your first paragraph indicated that you did know what you were talking about. Then you went and blew a great deal of your credibility with a petty snap judgement.

Nice ending statement though! :|

Since it's your ambulace, why don't you take personal responsibility in getting out there and cleaning it. A couple extra semesters of part time night classes never glossed over an overblown sense of superiority.

You are the basic. The paramedic is the basic with advanced skills. Both of you are emergency medical technicians. Got it? Basics often receive better treatment from non-ems providers than their own. It's a real shame. There are paramedics who decry the basic's education. These same paramedics precept basic students regularly. They have a chance to be the best mentor they can be. So they piss that opportunity away, being evasive and creating intimidating atmospheres by exploiting the clinical student as their housekeeper. Then run to places like emtcity to spit more venom at the basics. You can't complain about the problem when you're either a big part of it, or take a idle approach torwards fixing it when given a real chance to make a measureable difference.

You have to be familiar with DustDevil's postings to really understand them. Statements like EMTs don't belong in ambulances aren't because he hates EMTs (notice how he gave me genuine useful help in the "Call Review" thread), but rather he thinks the whole EMS system should be different...Trying to get the true underlying messages in posts can be useful. Just some thoughts from me.

Since it's your ambulace, why don't you take personal responsibility in getting out there and cleaning it.

What makes you think I don't? If that is your ASSumption, you are sadly mistaken. But if I am taking care of the patient and all the subsequent paperwork, I am not also going to go make the cot and clean and stock the back of the ambo while my driver sits on his arse and does nothing but flirt with nurses. Are you?

A couple extra semesters of part time night classes never glossed over an overblown sense of superiority.

Only those who lack that education seem to begrudge it. Interesting phenomenon. I can assure you that my degrees took more than a couple of extra semesters of part-time night classes. But that is an irrelevant point since it is experience and not education that is the issue here. Your failure to recognise that is troubling.

Well I think restocking, cleaning, washing, whatever should be a joint effort. It is in my service, even the doctor get his hand dirty after a long day at MX. It’s a good debrief session and you learn more about the people you work with, in a more relaxed environment. There seems to be a lot of ‘whatever’ going on between EMT’s and Medics. Some good advice that is was told: You don’t have to socials with your partner, just work as a team when it’s needed.

I’m not familiar with EMT and Paramedics in the US but normally in my service the officer in charge calls the shots, they listen to the experienced medics, people trust there decisions, and it all works well. Most of the time decisions are made as a team with everyone putting in there 2cents worth and coming to one decision that everyone agrees with, it works better this way.

Why is it people are always power hungry??? I can’t see why we all just can’t work as a team!

Since it's your ambulace, why don't you take personal responsibility in getting out there and cleaning it. A couple extra semesters of part time night classes never glossed over an overblown sense of superiority.

You are the basic. The paramedic is the basic with advanced skills. Both of you are emergency medical technicians. Got it? Basics often receive better treatment from non-ems providers than their own. It's a real shame. There are paramedics who decry the basic's education. These same paramedics precept basic students regularly. They have a chance to be the best mentor they can be. So they piss that opportunity away, being evasive and creating intimidating atmospheres by exploiting the clinical student as their housekeeper. Then run to places like emtcity to spit more venom at the basics. You can't complain about the problem when you're either a big part of it, or take a idle approach torwards fixing it when given a real chance to make a measureable difference.

Salty,I agree with what Anthony wrote.

Anyway, where I work,if the call is ALS,I will clean the bus,make the litter,and help my partner ( who is a paramedic)restock.

If the call is BLS,he does the same for me.