Checking Posts

NREMT-Basic

I'm not one for meaningless rules, but I was thinking that it might be a good idea if we all started, at least some of the time and in longer posts, checking them for spelling and some sense of grammar. I don't want to play school marm, and the spelling doesn't really bother me except when it and the grammar combined make a post virtually impossible to understand.

I am sure that I will get flamed for this post, but I know that there are so many of you out there with great things to add and contribute to our field that I would like to be able to get it all.

Thanks and stay safe.

I agree NREMT-Basic, start with this post right here...

I cant really imagine what caused this to degenerate into a screaming match. In my area we respond hot to all calls other than for standby and sometimes then. But from scene to hospital...we evaluate such things as distance to facility, stableness of patient and honestly, whether or not the presence of L and S and 65 mph is going to further destablize the patient. If your medic couldnt provide a reason why this should have been a hot transport, then he just likes the sound of lights(???) and sirens and the adreline rush he gets from it. To me wekk and dizzy without extraordinary s and sx is not a hot call. Out here, usually the medic will make that decision but it sounds as though he might be a little challenged in that regard. Seems like maybe he should receive the aforementioned career counselling.

:wink:

If someone is going to appoint themselves grammar police they better have excellent grammar. I belong to a number of forums and there is always a half dozen people on those forums who appoint themselves as grammar police. When you read their posts you can't understand why they are critiquing others grammar and spelling when theirs is just as bad.

I reviewed run reports for my previous job and was appalled at the lack of good writing and was told to drop it since most of the medics writing the reports had been writing reports longer than I had been alive(whatever). So I did. No-one got taken to court but it is only a matter of time.

My opinion is that if you are critiquing grammar and spelling then yours must be better than average.

It seems like if you go back four or five months people used to be a little scared of posting nonsense or grammar and punctuation at a fourth grade level. Somewhere we've become much more politically correct...

For every "please post as an intelligent person" post there are now three or five or maybe ten "leave him alone, he's (young, having a bad day, sleepy, from another country) posts....

Yeah, I know this isn't very scientific, it's just my impression. In the same time period it seems we've lost a lot of the "smart" people that were staples here...Doczilla, chbare, ErDoc etc...etc. Of course we still have a bunch of smart people, but I wonder if we lost the others while dumbing down.

And it seems many of the smart people we have now (Dust, Rid, asys, scara, Becksdad, Michael and many others) spend their time defending their expectation that people represent themselves in at least a slightly intelligent manner instead of educating. Which is what they do best. (Besides being funny as hell I might add)

And yes, I do see the irony of me posting in a thread against people being boneheads.

Let's go back to being a little bit scared to post without thinking. It will raise the intelligence bar back up a bit I think.

Dwayne

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.