EMT Clothing

mtnsldr

I apologize if this is the wrong place, or an irrelevent question, or if I should have searched better to find the answer.

My question has to do with clothing for EMT's. I know there are all kinds of specialty pants out there, crazy stuff with scissor pockets and etc. Can somebody hook me in on the intel of what is good and what is junk out there? What kind of clothing is used? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BDU (military battle dress uniform) pants are relatively cheep so if you get blood or vomit all over them it's no big deal. You can find them at your local military surplus store or on cheeperthandirt.com, they come in a variety of colors that may fit your department's uniform. They have on big cargo pocket on each leg and the standard side and butt pockets. It really depends on what you carry. In my R back pocket I keep my protocol manual, RF pocket keeps my keys and tissues, R cargo keeps gloves, pens and a good size notebook. My L cargo pocket holds my wallet and cell phone and anything else personal.

I have a pair of BDUs that I paid $18 for, and a pair of "tactical pants" that I paid $54. The tactical pants are a little thicker material and they have a special pocket for my cell phone. The BDU pants don't have velcrow on the cargo pockets, but that's easy to get used to. If you want more storage you can always invest in a "geek belt" from Galls or something. I asked for one for Christmas.

That last post was probably the best info. Proppers, in my opinion, makes the best tactical/ems pants available in terms of durability, comfort and space for all your stuff. My service says, where these pants, that width belt, etc. If your department doesnt do this, get what works for you from any uniform supplier. And I too have also found that a geek belt works with the addition of a fanny pack works better than trying to get your sheers and ears out of those nifty little snapped loops on emt pants. Galls has a great pack that slides the shears in from the side, instead of straight up and down so that you can actually grab them the way you would use them (can be put in from left or right side) and not get splats on your pants trying to pry them out of the side pockets. BDU pants work great. I have several pairs. A recommendation about shears...I carry trauma shears and bandage shears for more delicate stuff. I save the trauma shears for flip and strips.

Hope this helps.

PS-

Most decent agencies will pay for one or two full uniforms minus gizmos and toys. If they provide one, get two more . If they provide two, get one more and stash it in your locker. If I have to tell you why...well you will see. I have lost uniforms to everything from barf to blood to prankster paramedics.

Yeah, I can understand the need for excess uniforms.

Luckily I have access to TONS of BDU's since the Army has changed uniforms. Unfortunately, they are all Woodland Camoflauge.

I figured BDU's were probably the way to go, but I will admit, all of 5.11 Tactical's stuff is nice too... But I'm not an undercover cop...

duh, you're an infantryman, I guess i should have looked a little closer at your stats before I went on trying to describe in detail what BDU pants are and where to find them- ha! I don't carry trauma scissors, mainly because mine got lost and I haven't bought new ones yet, and becuase by the time we strip the pt they're in the back of the rig where we have scissors stashed anyway. I keep a army ranger knife (yes, I'm a huge poser) in my R pocket for different cutting nesescitites that scissors won't do. My husband's in the military and has aquired some pretty cool stuff. He's tried to outfit me with a geek belt before but his particular stuff didn't work for me. Dig through your gear and see what could be useful, a lot of the stuff you use is the same as what Blackhawk charges a fortune for. If you're really new to ambulance work I'd suggest working a shift or two so you know what you wish you'd had and don't overpack.

"Be a professional, your service should have a standard or guideline to follow. Keep the gizmo's, knifes, and weapons to the whackers...

R/r 911"

Because you are set in your ways doesnt mean that what doesnt work or seem necessary follows suit for everyone else. Lets keep the insults to a minimum and realize that there are ways of doing things besides yours.

"Be a professional, your service should have a standard or guideline to follow. Keep the gizmo's, knifes, and weapons to the whackers...

R/r 911"

Because you are set in your ways doesnt mean that what doesnt work or seem necessary follows suit for everyone else. Lets keep the insults to a minimum and realize that there are ways of doing things besides yours.

Help me here NREMT-Basic are you saying that its OK to carry knives and weapons? Any type of weapon should be forbidden for a Medic to carry, it is dangerous for us and our patients. When you carry a weapon, even a knife, you up the ante to anyone who is going to attack you. The whole escalation of force thing is not an equation I want to be part of. Let the Police carry the weapons they have the training & authority to do so.

As far as gizmo's, just exactly does the average Basic need to carry nowadays? The term whacker is synonymous with someone who carries equipment he really doesn't need but looked really cool in the Galls catalog. Hemostats, Ring-cutters, Paratrooper folding knives are all equipment not necessary in day to day EMS. When I work in the field I carry a penlight and pen in my shirt pocket & pager, cellphone and Stinger flashlight on my belt. I also carry a set of ears around my neck. This is the equipment I will use on every shift, I see no reason to carry all the accessories so popular amongst the whacker set.

Why do I have these opinions? Experience. I have learned that having too much crap hanging off my belt or in my cargo pants is bulky, noisy and generally a pain in the ass. Rid is giving the posters the benefit of his experience I suggest you listen and learn rather than trying to stir up fights.

Peace,

Marty

:joker:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.