EMT Clothing

mtnsldr

I too when I was just an emt noob had all my pockets full of the latest and greatest gizmos. I even had 7 different sized hemostats.

After 6 months at a very busy urban system, I took a look back at how many times I had used each of the said above and found that the only ones I used were trauma shears, pen light and pen.

I took all that stuff out of my pockets, felt 5 pounds lighter, stopped snagging on doors and such and my partner said something to me that rang very true

quoting as best I can "It's about time you got away from being a Wanker!!!" but he had a couple of other words that would get me suspended here.

I urge anyone who has all that extra crap on their belts and pockets, when was the last time you truly used each piece of what you carry?

Can you remember the last time you used the small hemostat? or the last time you used the ring cutter?

So to make a long post short - get rid of all the extra weight and concentrate on doing your job, no one whos been around for too long thinks you are cool with all the extra junk you have on your belt and pocket. And get rid of the cell phone and extra pager while you are at it. You know who I'm talking about.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I urge anyone who has all that extra crap on their belts and pockets, when was the last time you truly used each piece of what you carry?

Can you remember the last time you used the small hemostat? or the last time you used the ring cutter?

-now that's a professional, kind way to tell people to carry less crap. Thankyou for sharing your experience.

Hey, I used to be 11b. Forced in 42 series (Long Story). IF all this intersts you look in Combat Lifesaver Course before you deploy. I thought the standard was at least 1 per squad. A lot of the course is common sense and a lot will go against your EMT training. Going for a tourniquet early in some situations for example. PM me if you want more info. I can also tal to you about Volunteer departments.

I'm hoping to get CLS. I'm not deploying as part of a typical unit however, but as a training element, so a lot of O3's and some senior NCO's. We won't even have an integral medic... :shock: :x . I know that much of the training is an entirely different focus from the EMT world here in the States to the rushed trauma situations of the combat zones, but like I said, it will most likely get you thinking in the right frame of mind, and get me set up for a change of career when I return. If I ride a desk anymore, I'll become a freakin zombie.

As an Infantryman (and SSG G-man can attest) we constantly review and adjust our "load" to ensure that we are carrying to proper tools for whatever job we're doing, and drop whatever is unnecessary. I imagine this job will be no different, and I plan on organizing my equipment for my EMT life the same as my ruck and Load Bearing Gear for Army life. Thanks for all the responses.

MTN

I personally have gone to something of my own design which is a combination between an alice pack and a fanny pack that attaches to a web belt. The only things how in my pocket are small pt notebook, two pens, a sharpy and shears. Everything else goes on the belt. Also means less stuffed drop in toilets when you are running to pee when the tones set..i heard that happend to someone once :oops:

I have to agree with AnatomyChick about the Dickies pants from Wal-Mart. Tough fabric, comfortable fit, and still good looking enough to wear with a class A uniform. Inexpensive too. Our agency uses a uniform company that we can purchase clothing from, but the pants fall apart easily, and they have a gazillion pockets and velcro straps. Who needs all that stuff? And they're more expensive.

Anything we will need on scene will be in med bag or trauma box that goes in with us. Why carry it all over your clothing? Well...I will admit to having a penlight that is useful for navigating a dark bunkroom

This is what you need to have on you on the job...

- Stethoscope

- Pen

- Shears

- Pocket drug reference

- Gloves

- Pen light (admittedly I rarely carry one)

- Eye protection (especially if you are doing advanced airway management, but admittedly I don't carry this).

Optional that I carry...

- Cell phone (in pocket)

- Standing orders (Most carry this, you should have it memorized but sometimes you may need a quick ref. on more obscure orders)

That is it. Anyone who carries much more than this is carrying too much. Knife? Window punch? Hemostat? Nope, you don't need it. I work in a heavy urban area, one that is busier than 99.9% of the areas people here work and I have NEVER needed anything more than that. Nor have I thought - "Man, I really could have used a hemostat here".

Did someone here say they used their knife to puncture tires at an MCI? WOW...

yeah okay - im a whacker by the standards in here....generally i have what VS suggested but i do have a pair of hemostats, tweezers and a leatherman so if im a whacker now well, whatever man....

OOooo get this i also have it in a holseter, with my littman stethoscope!!!!

so when i feel i dont need it, i leave it on the dashboard of the truck, and when i feel i do need it, i put it on my belt!!!!!

OMG!!! im a whacker to the extreme now.....................next thing you know ill be thinking a window punch may not be a bad investment, sure beats hunting around for a rock or a tyre iron, especially for 10 bucks.....

I also have a trauma bag i used when doing volly first aid work, i MUST be a whacker.....

P.S. you take what you need to do the job, and ill take what i think i need to do the job and when you aske to borrow sumthing down the track, i'll tell you to bugger off:D

I actually use Kelly forceps quite frequently. When I draw from a glass ampule and need to change the needle, I will use the forceps to unscrew the needle and throw it in the sharps container.

Take care,

chbare.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.