Inmate EMTs?

Excactly...it is a competitive market, therefore they are not guarenteed a job.

May the best canidate win and if it happens to be a reformed convict that was educated on my dime and for some reason he outshines all the law abiding canidates, then good for him.

We have much bigger issues than worrying about a few dollars being spent on inmates in a trial program that may be canned next year for an education that may do them no good. SUrprise, do you know how many inmates obtain HS education and college degrees on our dime? Its been going on for decades. While I struggle to pay for my higher education they get theirs provided. DO I care? Nope, not at all because I don't mind working for my stuff. In a free world, there is always going to be someone getting something for nothing. Sometimes its me, sometimes its not. I dont care...nothing will stop me from obtaining what I desire.

I was under the impression that they were given jobs upon release, if not that takes away some of my concerns. I'm sure the felony would hold them back from getting a job over a crimeless EMT.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For some reason, I am unable to read the file provided in the link. It is my thought that the type of inmates being given training might not be felons. I wonder if they are they same type of inmates who often get the "bootcamp" options in some systems. My mother lives in GA and when she volunteered for a clothing bank they had convicts working with them a lot. They were called "trustees" because they were trusted to be "unsupervised".

Does the info in the link say they Felons? Not all people i jail are murders and rapists.

Sarge

Here ya go Sarge, and anyone else who can't link to that page.

DHR Seeks Public Comment on Initial Licensing of Emergency Medical Services Personnel administrative RULE 290-5-30-.12

In a cooperative venture with the Department of Corrections, the DHR Division of Public Health, Office of Emergency Medical Services proposes a pilot program to grant a restricted EMS license to certain classes of inmates that complete an approved EMS education and examination course. Restricted licenses would enable a limited number of persons to work in communities on licensed first responder vehicles under the control and supervision of local community partners. Here you will find the Notice of Termination of Rulemaking Proceeding.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Mission

The mission of the Emergency Medical Services (EMS) and Trauma Section is to encourage, foster, and promote the continued development of an optimal system of emergency medical and trauma care which provides the best possible patient outcome.

Vision

By promoting excellence, providing uniform statewide regulation, and promoting healthy communities, we see to be valued by those we serve.

An important by product of regulation is value-added information for emergency preparedness, public health, EMS research, and strategic governance.

By managing knowledge, EMS can improve public health in Georgia .

Values

Excellence:

We promote excellence, achieve and maintain quality results.

Integrity:

We are committed to honest, fairness, and trustworthiness in the best interests of the citizens of Georgia and those that represent state government.

Teamwork:

We encourage active collaboration to solve problems, avoid conflict, make decisions, and achieve common goals.

The Emergency Medical Services Section provides services mandated by the Official Code of Georgia Annotated Title 31, Chapter 11, the Georgia Department of Human Resources Rules and Regulations Chapter 290-5-30, and Georgia Health Code 88-31 to license, re-license, and monitor Ambulance Services, Medical First Responders, and Neonatal Transport Services; approve training course curriculum and requirements for the certification and re-certification of Emergency Medical Technicians (EMT-:( and (EMT-I), Paramedics and the re-certification only of Cardiac Technicians (CT).

Program Objectives

To provide and maintain support for regional planning, development, expansion and improvement to each of the ten EMS regions;

To provide statewide coordination of training programs;

To provide technical support within each EMS region for the establishment of region-wide medical control of the EMS system;

To provide for annual assessment of regional planning and development in each EMS region;

To assure continued system development and quality improvement;

To incorporate the special needs of children in EMS system development;

To provide an integrated EMS Information System for local, regional and state planning and evaluation of system development.

Peace,

Marty

:joker:

I think the key in this is "certain classes of inmates" I do not think they are going to make rapists, murders and child molesters EMTs and send them out into the community. this may be for more of the "white collar" criminals and non-violent offenders.

OK here is KY we have inmates EMT-b that work in the prison they only work inside of the prison they drive the truck to the ER with a guard in the back or in the front and one with a follow car when the prisoner time it up and are about to get out of jail they lose there EMT number they are only good when in jail

i think that it has to be on a case to case basis. My wives cousin just got out of federal prison. He was a prison guard in the state of Texas,,transferred to work at a Federal prison in New Mexico,,,they had a violent prisoner that use of force was used on to control him,,,cousin said he was not involved in use of force but he was there and saw it happen..Inmate went to hospital to be checked out..returned back to prison 2 hrs later,He filed on guards and won case. Cousin charged with assault by association and failing to ''stop''the other guards from injuring the inmate.Cousin received 48 month sentence for his'' non involvement''....Now saying this and if all his stories to use were true about his involvement why shouldn't a case like this be able to go to school and learn a new skill as an EMT.

This was discussed last year, and it still stinks. The excuse of being there was not enough EMT's and this is a piss poor excuse of bumping the numbers.

Sorry, you got a record you should not be in health care business ....period. The public needs to know they can trust and have respect for us that are in it. Sorry, you made a mistake, that is the consequences. Train and educate them on another profession that does not require or demand such as dealing with peoples lives both physically and emotionally. Part of our responsibility is to make sure that the public can trust us.

How would you feel if you were to find out that your physician had prior felony conviction? Sorry, that breaks trust, even if it was fraud, or a bad check.. there has to be some integrity to the medical profession.

R/r 911

I work in the area where an EMT-B course was taught to inmates at a GA state prison facility. The inmates selected were all "non-violent, low risk inmates". The same qualificaions as the inmates serving on the prison fire units. There was a lot of controversy over the program and ultimately they were denied state certifications. It turned out to be a huge fire vs EMS issue.

Sure, having a violent, sexually based, or drug related crime on your record should preclude you from working in health care, but on the other hand, First aid and CPR are good things to know, so what's so bad about teaching them how to do it? I mean, its not like were teaching them lockpicking and computer security courses...

I agree with Rid on this one. These people are convicted felons. I'm all about rehabilitation but on some cases such as rape, murder, molestation and things of that nature, I say let them rot away. These people shouldn't be rehabilitated. For the "low risk" criminals as I've seen it put in here, ok, teach them a few things about how to take care of people in the most basic of ways....that's all fine and everything but these people will not be able to get a job once they are on the outside. I can't believe that any ems, fire or police service is going to hire a convicted felon, regardless of the crime they commited. Bottom line, this crap that Georgia is trying to do is stupid. In my opinion, it just adds to the stigma that southerners are a bunch of dumb-ass backwoods rednecks.

Thanks Georgia for making it that much more difficult for the rest of us in the south....we don't have enough going against us as it is already.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.