Personal Vehicle

Ahh to be young and ,, whatever,,,,, i'm 40 been in EMS-FD, public safety for 22 years,,,, and i'm jealous ... i drvie a 1995 chevy lumina with 90+ thousand miles on it and no AC... last week 100+ temps sucked driving to and from work...

as for equipment ....... 1 multi trauma, a few 8x10s, and a few kling wraps to stop exsanguinating bleeding ,,,, ohh and a pocket mask if im forced to do CPR or mouth to mouth... no lights no sirens.

I heard a saying once,,,,, "the bigger the light, the bigger the a--hole!!!"... and you know what it usually holds true.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By me the EMS service is all volly, with no one on in the station, just people coming in when a call goes out. So just about all the EMS workers have lights installed in their cars. Some have "bubble lights" that they stick on their roof when need be; however, those are not as effective and I know of a few people who have gotten into serious car accidents while trying to use "bubble lights" to get to a call.

One of my friends after getting back on her feet almost three months after her car was totaled while she was using a 'bubble light' to get to a call, bought a new car (her old one was beyond repair) and then spent money installing lights in her headlights and tail-lights, which she now uses to get to calls.

No sirens though, I think they might even be illegal. Mostly it's just flip the lights on, put one hand on the horn, and drive like that until at the station.

So not all people who install lights in their cars are wasting money, it just depends on where you are located.

As for equipment, I hate to say that most people around me carry more than the ambulance they work on. I've seen people that can't even put their groceries in the trunk of their car because they have all their equipment taking up the space. I, however (though I am VERY new [read: taking my state written next week] at this so the list might change a little), only carry a pair of gloves and a pocket face mask. Maybe when I'm in Israel, I'll carry a bit more, or if I need anything else and there is no ambulance there to take over by the time I need it (which is highly unlikely, given that no matter where I go I usually stick to urban areas) I'll get creative.

By me the EMS service is all volly, with no one on in the station, just people coming in when a call goes out. So just about all the EMS workers have lights installed in their cars. Some have "bubble lights" that they stick on their roof when need be; however, those are not as effective and I know of a few people who have gotten into serious car accidents while trying to use "bubble lights" to get to a call.

Could it be that part of the blame on the accident could be for the person driving their personal vehicle in an unsafe manner since they had lights? (rather than blaming the "bubble" light for not attracting enough attention)

Could it be that part of the blame on the accident could be for the person driving their personal vehicle in an unsafe manner since they had lights? (rather than blaming the "bubble" light for not attracting enough attention)

Yes, it's possible, but in this case, I happen to know the driver and know that she drives safely even when on the way to a call (I've been in the car) so I would doubt it. If it were some of my other friends, I would say that you are completely right, I just don't think so in this case. But then again, I wasn't there, and anything is possible.

Bingo! BEorP beat me to it. The only way that bubble contributed to the collision is by giving your friend an adrenaline rush and a sense of invincibility that caused him/her to drive like an idiot.

You are right. Without the bubble, he/she probably would not have wrecked.

But alas, I must admit... I have a gumball too! :oops:

Convoy1.jpg

But it's damn sure not on my personal vehicle!

personally, I have been in EMS for 3 years now. I drive a 94 Crown Vic Police interceptor, with quite a few lights installed. I have 4 radios, one for work and the volunteer FD I'm on, then just a plain old scanner, 1 for CAP and my CB. I also have a simple siren setup installed. Does that mean I'm dangerous when I drive? I think not. I drive a hell of a lot safer than a lot of my friends. My work requires that I have lights on my vehicle (I'm a public safety officer) so I have changeable lenses for my lights. I have been involved in 4 accidents in my life, none while heading to a call, none in my crown vic of any vehicle I have had lights on, and none have been my fault. I respond only to station unless dispatch tells me otherwise. We have a large county and there is a lot of traffic where I live. the lights help. and in response to the other person who said lights/siren on a POV does not make them an emergency vehicle in any state, I have to differ. In Tennessee, you have to go through a state inspection to legally run your lights/siren, and they require your vehicle have the following at a minimum for lighting. (1) 360-degree roof mounted warning light, (1) dash-mounted light, (1) auxiliary mounted warning light system, (1) rear warning light, and (1) siren of at least 100 watts of output. In addition, you have to go through no less than two driving courses a year (EVOC and Vanessa K. Free). So tell me, does having lights and siren make everyone reckless. No it doesn't. It depends on the person.

So tell me, does having lights and siren make everyone reckless. No it doesn't. It depends on the person.

You will always have the rule and the exception. Sometimes being the rule is good. Sometimes being the exception. Unfortunately, protocols and laws have to be geared towards the rule instead of the exception.

• 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.