Personal Vehicle

[i live two blocks from the ambulance garage. When I get paged out, I hop into my 2003 Specialized Expedition SE and race to the station! I usually just have to peddle for a bit to get started. Then it's a downhill coast the rest of the way. The hard work is in peddling back home, uphill.

Brother, I don't even know you and you are my hero today! My sides hurt. :laughing3:

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brother, I don't even know you and you are my hero today! My sides hurt. :laughing3:

Makes for a good story when you get some new guys on the squad with less experience than you have.

"Back in the day, I can remember riding 4 miles uphill both ways, just so we could get in a horse-drawn wagon to respond" :(

Wait, maybe Rid actually did that. :shock:

I believe we scared this guy off. NO responses from him from this thread.

Actually he drives a Yugo to the scenes but with his title HVAC and EMT I think he uses his flashy POV to get to his HVAC appointments.

Damn, I must be lucky. I have two rides.

First is a 2005 Chevy Silverado, dark blue 4 door. It is pimped out with AM FM CD tape AC, a tool box in the back, heavy duty hitch and transmission cooler. I never counted the lights on it, but it's whack. Headlights, fog lights, DRLs. The turn signal blink on and off when I change directions. I love it, especially when I can afford to drive it.

I mostly use a 1996 Toyota Camry, which has really great mileage. The back seat is full of health care text books, uniform shirts, and turnout gear. It only has a cassette deck, and it's pretty lame, but it gets twice the mileage of the pickup.

We like enthusiasm, when used wisely. I was young once, but a long time ago, I can understand the energy and excitement.

I do believe all of those lights in NJ are illegal, they were when I did EMS there. I think you need squad approval, along with Mayor/Police Chief. I'd check on that. Welcome to The City.

hey, wasn't that other Whacker from New Jersey too? Youknow the one, with 300 rotating lights and a 8 minute response time anywhere in the county? Wasn't he a whacker too?

Holy crapola batman, where did you get that picture at

Dad teaching his son the family business. He must be upper management as he's still alive. Pull the trigger kid, get rid of some of those zealots.

On our volunteer dept, we are allowed to respond in our personal vehicle. I only do so IF our squad responds limited OR need more people. Our Volunteer dept. covers our vehicles when operating as an emergency vehicle. I don't have any lights on my truck. I will soon be carrying my own basic bag with everything needed exept for O2. Atleast I know I'm prepared if anything happens out on the road till EMS arrives.

I work on a paid department and work a 12 hour shift a week for the local volly department. On the volly department we can respond in personal vehicles, and I have on many occasions. There's nothing wrong with good ol 4-way flashers and a horn if needed. There are guys on our department that drive freakin bat mobiles and mobile command centers (bat mobiles being vehicles with 10,000 lights; mobile command center being the guys with 10 radios and antenas on their trucks). In all honesty, if you're putting those things on your vehicle, you generally think thats a license to drive fast ans wrecklessly. Out here we have some rural roads that may see 4-5 cars an hour, therefore why would you need lights. If I'm responding emergency to a call I can do 65-70 MPH without alerting the whole world. There's no need for 4 interiors lights, a light bar and 3 different kinds of siren and god knows what... Keep it simple. I do however carry a first response kit with the essentials if you will...BP Cuff, CPR mask, Stethescope, 4x4's, a couple ice packs, some band aids, 2 pairs of gloves, and a pen and paper. That's because a lot of times I can get on scene faster than getting to the ambulance...either way...be careful out there and check out the photo gallery of aperatus crashes. It makes you realize how "uninvincible" you are.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.