Personal Vehicle

I have an AM/FM radio and a cell phone (cell phone=my primary phone). If my work needs me, they can call. If it is a disaster, I'll find out on my AM/FM radio [assuming I'm not using the CD player].

For responding to my station, I have two forward white lights with a high and low setting. I have 4 amber lights, one on each corner of my vehicle. The amber lights can either be activated all 4 at once or one side at a time. I have 3 red rear facing red lights (again, dual settings, but seperate control mechanism then the forward facing lights). I will admit that my car has a forward facing auditory alert system. It is activated by pressure and should only be used to emit a short blast. The one finger salute is a valid, if rude, alternative to its use. I carry a personal first aid kit and an ambulance bag that has my steth, BP cuff, DVD player, and an assortment of movies (bag=standard backpack=in car for storage between shifts)

Of course down here I don't have such FANCY things as winders---just have an ol' hefty bag taped over the passenger side. The front lights are 2 big D cell Maglights and the rear is of dem there railroad lanterns that sometimes works....just have to excuse the gun rack and the 30-06 for gettin them varmits.

Musn't mess with the stars and bars on the front bumper either!

WHACKERS UNITE!

Welcome to the City...

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got me 1 o dem cryosuperprecipitators startek 5000 polypharmacy modulators, a roll cage, brushbars, 2 roatating light bars 10 LED strobes, 6 flashers, a pack of gum, 4 M tanks, a trauma or, all the koolaid i can drink, and 250-6gpm pumpms and tanks to cover all the bases....no bambulance is got dem dings.. oh and i forget me YAHOO MODEL 300 TYPE2 SIREEN...

SOUNDS LIK YAHOOOOOOO.......YYYYYYAAAAHHHHHOOOOOOO.....WHACKER....WHACKER...WOOP...WHOOP...

YAHOOO..............

I got me 1 o dem cryosuperprecipitators startek 5000 polypharmacy modulators, a roll cage, brushbars, 2 roatating light bars 10 LED strobes, 6 flashers, a pack of gum, 4 M tanks, a trauma or, all the koolaid i can drink, and 250-6gpm pumpms and tanks to cover all the bases....no bambulance is got dem dings.. oh and i forget me YAHOO MODEL 300 TYPE2 SIREEN...

SOUNDS LIK YAHOOOOOOO.......YYYYYYAAAAHHHHHOOOOOOO.....WHACKER....WHACKER...WOOP...WHOOP...

YAHOOO..............

Last night, while driving through a rather rural county that shall remain nameless, I witnessed a vehicle that can only be described as the ultimate whackermobile. Rusty old pickup truck with what appeared to be busted springs, a red "bubble" light on the roof with cigarette cord dangling into the cabin through the driver's side window, a "star of life" license plate jammed inside the windshield, at least 5 antennae on the roof (magnetic mount, too!), and papers all over the dashboard. YEAH...

i have checked with my insurance company/corps/local PD and i am covered for responding to an emergency. I dont drive like an ass with the lights on (or with them off). Maybe I am a "wacker" but that is your oppinion. There is nothing in my jump-kit that i am not certified to use. I have never used my lights when not responding to a call. I spend more on education than I do on lights but most of it is covered by the corps. And finally I want to ask why everyone was being such a dick about me asking what you drive, what is on it, and what you carry as a personal med kit...

I thought about getting a light and siren for my vehicle because it is so hard trying to get across the highway to get to the ambulance building...I never go POV to an emergency because I don't want to have to leave my precious truck anywhere. But one of those lights that you can put on and take off would work great for me. I wouldn't want anything stuck on the top of my truck permanently

i have checked with my insurance company/corps/local PD and i am covered for responding to an emergency. I dont drive like an ass with the lights on (or with them off). Maybe I am a "wacker" but that is your oppinion. There is nothing in my jump-kit that i am not certified to use. I have never used my lights when not responding to a call. I spend more on education than I do on lights but most of it is covered by the corps. And finally I want to ask why everyone was being such a dick about me asking what you drive, what is on it, and what you carry as a personal med kit...

Honestly, it was probably directed at wanting to see what kind of response we got out of you. You are not the first, and you won't be the last. Keep in mind that not all share your enthusiasm, and judging from the age you posted, you will grow out of most of it.

Probably shortly after you get asked to help someone you don't know at a most inopportune moment. Anytime the public can identify that you are a medical provider, they will ask you for free advice that you shouldn't be giving, or help for something you aren't ready for. Get a job with a professional organization that doesn't rely on volunteer responses in private vehicles, so you can learn more.

dru,

If we hurt your feelings, well, all I can say is, Toughen up Buttercup.

First of all, you led off by telling all of us working stiffs with families and mortgages and bills out the ying-yang about how your 17 yr old butt rides around in a brand-spanking new 2006 Saturn VUE (the saturn SUV) with 2 Whelen Dual Talons out the windshield (blue/clear clear/blue), 2 Whelen Single Talons facing out the rear windshield (blue, red) which rotate so they still face outward when the trunk is opened, and a magnetic mount Sho-Me dual rotator mini-lightbar (blue/blue).

How many freaking lights do you need???

Most of us are happy if the junkheap we drive starts and runs when we need it to and we don't get killed with a bill come inspection time.

People cautioned you about insurance concerns as to responding in your pov, asked you if you were required to use your pov and what type of squad you run with.

You say you don't drive like an ass. Then you are the first 17 yr old in the entire world history of all forms of transportation never to do so. But I will take your word for it.

Then you ask about hero-kits which has only been discussed on about 73 different topics if only you took time to look.

You describe how you carry a personal jumpkit with basically everything except a tank of O2.

"Everything" covers a pretty broad range.

So I said I hoped you were legally allowed to use what you carried, and cautioned you as to the consequences of exceeding your scope of practice.

You say there is nothing in your jump-kit that you are not certified to use. I'm glad to hear that. At this point, if you are gonna tote all the other crap, then why not get the O2 as it falls under B for breathing, right after A for airway, and before C for circulation and its the one thing that most pts actually can use.

Several people complimented your enthusiasm for EMS, myself included. Several people also questioned your judgement, again, myself included.

Still, I believe you to be of good intent, just a little overeager.

I wish you always the best of luck,

neal

As an interesting side note to the first aid kit, I have a trauma fanny pack. Don't laugh, it's required at the water pack with stocked with at least a thing of 4/4's, gloves, and a CPR mask. All of the life guards and EMTs [1 EMT on duty when ever the park is open] is required to have one. The EMTs just get a room full of goodies to stock ours with.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.