What kind of money do EMT's make?

bub

I'm getting ready to start taking EMT classes, but before I do I thought I would get an idea of what EMT's make. I'm sure there is a wide variety but if you guys/gals could give me an estimate that would help. Do EMT's in ER's make more then EMT's working PT for the ambulance service? I'm in the midwest.

Sorry for the newb questions. Thank you :D

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As mentioned, it depends on whether you're urban, or rural. It also depends on whether your work for a private company, or a municipality...

Up here, a friend of mine wo works for a private makes $7.90/hr as a Basic, woirking in an urban environment, for a private company. Another firned of mine makes $30,000/yr working for a civli service municipality, in a suburban setting.

So not a whole lot I guess. My intentions are to take the EMT classes and then get on with the firefighters. I think they start out at 30k here, and work (3) 24 hour shifts. I make decent money now, but alot of hours. I'm looking for some additional time to spend with my wife and kids, so that's what has led me to this decision later in life. Guess I should have went a different way with my college degree...

Just askin you folks for your experienced opinions and then I'll try to come up with the "best" decision.

Thanks!!

Well, what do you want to do? Do you want to work in EMS? Or do you want to be a firefighter?

If you want to be a firefighter, then go do it. If the department wants you to be an EMT they'll provide the training. At the very least they'll help you get it.

If you go EMS as a foot in the door to becoming a firefighter, then you're doing yourself and any patient with whom you come into contact a disservice in that you're not really interested in what you're doing. And no patient deserves that.

I mean no disrespect with this post. But there are too many people out there who think this is nothing more than a foot in the door to becoming a FF. If you want to fight fire, go do it. If you want to work in EMS, go do that. But please, pick one or the other.

If you do a search in these forums of fire vs ems you'll find many long drawn out discussions. There are varying opinions. But in the end it'll provide you with more food for thought than you can digest in one sitting. I suggest you try that first.

Good luck to you in whichever career path you choose to follow.

-be safe.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.