What kind of money do EMT's make?

bub

If you want to fight fire, go do it. If you want to work in EMS, go do that. But please, pick one or the other.

If only it were broken down that way in every county of every state. I am moving to Florida, where every ems system in the southeast part of the state is fire-rescue based. This requires me to complete a firefighters minimum standard training course (FF1 and FF2) before being able to find work as a emt-b or paramedic. I understand cities and towns require greater use of their well paid firemen since structures are being built more fireproof.... but just because i want to work in emergency MEDICAL services, does not mean i want to put out fires. I'm not sure how that association was made, but it was. Now what am i supposed to do if i remain in that region?

I could make 9 bucks an hour, with a college degree, working for AMR, or i could complete a year of FF training, and make upwards of 60,000. Am i doing a disservice to my patients because i haven't decided whether I am fire or ems?? well the disservice has been committed by politicians who have outfitted the fire departments as the primary EMS system, so unfortunately for me, I really have no other option, besides moving, than to complete fire training and ems training...work, gain experience, get into management and policy, and change the situation from the top down.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

^

Or you could get a college degree, have much more doors open to you down the road, and still take those FF courses. If the choice is between 60k now, or a college degree, then take the college degree. That degree will take you much further then any EMT or FF course ever will.

^

Or you could get a college degree, have much more doors open to you down the road, and still take those FF courses. If the choice is between 60k now, or a college degree, then take the college degree. That degree will take you much further then any EMT or FF course ever will.

I just completed my undergrad degree, so i already have that under my belt....but unfortunately, EMS services don't really care if you have a college degree. but this is what i really want to do. So, like you said, I'll take these FF and paramedic courses, along with my B.S. degree, and be all the better, gain experience and reputation before I am able to change anything...of course, by then, you'll really need a graduate degree to get anywhere far....neverending studies, oh well.

Not bad money in comparrison of training. (Please refer to beauty school hours and pay comparrison). Yes, EMT salary sucks!.. so does the trainig of them as well. Hopefullly, someday both will increase, and we will no longer see EMT's having 3 -4 jobs to make end meet.

I agree with Paramedic Mike, you want to be hose dragger, sure get your EMT, but don't expect a lot of assistance from most medics. We see hundreds of wanna be F/F ..

R/r 911

here in the great northwest i work for a private company. I'm a EMT I and i make 8.70 an hour after 4 years It really does suck that goes without saying. I think i have it ok as far as the shift i work, I work 10 days a month 24/48 with more OT if i want it so lot's of time at home. I made a little over 36000 last year. I'd have to earn 18-19 bucks an hour at a 40 hour job to make the same but you can't find those jobs around here.

It would be nice if we made as much as an RN or a FF but most of us don't so you either deal with it or beat your head against a wall. Maybe someday we'll make the big bucks, but it isn't all about the money.

my two cents :lol:

It would be nice if we made as much as an RN or a FF but most of us don't so you either deal with it or beat your head against a wall.

It would be nice if we all had as much education as an RN too.

Once that happens, our prospects will be much better. Problem is, the vast majority of EMTs and medics don't want that.

It would be nice if we all had as much education as an RN too.

Once that happens, our prospects will be much better. Problem is, the vast majority of EMTs and medics don't want that.

Where's that mysterious and cold place where medics actually get a bit of education? And that other place where they actually get more the pay of a health professional than a technician?

Hmmmm or was it the same place...

The fact that EMTs are so far underpaid is beyond question. But, I just wanted to add something here to think about... If you don't like what you are doing and get paid a lot of money for it, sooner or later your discontent will take its toll on you and your family. You will grow resentful. Perhaps more important is the fact that your children will be affected by your unhappiness and frustration. On the other hand, if you WANT to be an EMT, and you really ENJOY being an EMT, then be an example to your kids by showing them that its ok to pursue a dream; that its great to be able to help someone who really needs it; and that its better to be happy in life than miserable. Good luck to you, and be safe.

Before going into EMS, I spent 5 years as a Quality Control Inspector at a manufacturing plant. I took an almost 33% pay cut when I quit. I come home happier than I did for several years at the plant. That counts a lot more to my wife and two children than my pay.

Before going into EMS, I spent 5 years as a Quality Control Inspector at a manufacturing plant. I took an almost 33% pay cut when I quit. I come home happier than I did for several years at the plant. That counts a lot more to my wife and two children than my pay.

How long you been in the biz?

That feeling doesn't last forever, you know.

What are you going to do after the honeymoon is over? Change careers again in your thirties?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.