Short Transport times

Using local codes is generally not a good idea. I'm betting pretty much nobody here knows what a 5150 is.

A 5150 is a 72 hour hold for evaluation and initial treatment for patients that are suffering from a psychiatric disorder causing them to be a danger to self, danger to others, or gravely disabled. The term itself comes from the section of California code (law) that covers

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

During medic school I precepted in a urban setting where the max transport time was probaby 10min. Outside of trauma, in the medical setting I found that stabilizing the patient on scene, making the move to the unit, setting up for transport and going worked the best.

When you have a sick CHF'er for example if you scoop and run and arrive in 10min but have little acomplished its not worth you being there. If you take 5-10min on scene to get your IV, put the patient on CPAP, give nitro and get going. En route giving Lasix, follow up Nitro and then making a good call to the hospital with time for them to set up you and the patient should be alot better off.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

In my system we have an assisted living facility that the people living there can look at the Level I trauma center from there living room. My feeling is what does the pt need? If it's something I can help with right away. Then I do, if not I transport. Remember just because they can get to the ed if five minutes how long till there registered and actually get to see a doc? For a non-critical anyway.

Had a pt a few weeks ago, s/sx of CHF. SOB, tachypnea, bilateral rales, pedal edema, diaphoresis, tachycardia, hypertension...

My partner decided that since we were about 6 mins from the ED, we would just screw. No IV (one failed attempt), no ASA, no NTG, no MSO4, no Lasix, no 12-Lead... just a NRB. We got to the ER, and watched the pt sit in triage for 20 minutes on our stretcher (while the "triage" nurse took a hx on a stable pt who wanted an Rx refill... with 3 rescues waiting, 1 SOB, 1 OD, and one ankle sprain), then sit on a stretcher for another 20 minutes, while the nurses chatted about stupid, non patient care related, CRAP. I went back in to check on the pt before clearing the ER after deconing and restocking, still no tx, they just kicked his O2 down to 2 LPM via NC.

I think from now on I'll stay and play. At least we can treat these people. What's better, being treated in an ambulance, or waiting in an ER?

There are some ERs I know I can rely on to treat my patients, but there are some others...

I had another call upwards of a year ago, also a CHF pt--could hear her gurgling fro down the hall. The SNF we were t/p from is on the hospital campus for our trauma center. We took her in there with just O2, and respiratory was waiting for her in a critical care room, and had her on BiPAP within 2 minutes of t/f off our stretcher. It was beautiful. That's the only hospital in the state that knows the definition of triage.

...they just kicked his O2 down to 2 LPM via NC.

Give them credit.

At least they didn't leave the NRB mask on her! :lol:

My partner decided that since we were about 6 mins from the ED, we would just screw.

If your agency did not, after reviewing that PCR, decide to "just screw" your partner, then your agency sucks.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.