Trick of the trade

I posted this on another site and it is advice I always give to my students and fellow co-workers. It is great advice for any newbies or even some old folks who just forgot about the simplicity of things.

Many times I have heard, "how do I protect or keep my certification cards from getting worn out or damaged/destroyed on the job?". I even had to replace some cards for people that lost them or had them get water damage while on a call.

The solution is simple.

Photocopy all your certifications. As long as you have a legible, preferably color copy on your person, you are meeting most state statutes regarding having proof of licensure on your person at all times. If it gets wet, damaged or lost...no big deal. Grab the next copy, all the while your originals are safe and sound at home.

When I am on shift, I do not even carry a drivers license. A color copy is legal and cleared through our service. SO all I carry is a debit card and a photocopy of my certs and license.

Just some friendly advice....

AK although it sounds like a good idea, unfortunately not all states allow photocopy, some will only get a print that says "Licensed".. or VOID nothing more. For some states it is illegal to even copy state medical license, some will not recognize a copy as the same as on the sate drivers license (OK does not). My suggestion is one needs to be very aware of local and state requirements. Some will require additional cert.'s & license, here we must also have an AHA- current CPR, and if a Paramedic an ACLS card as well. Our field investigators routinely will spot check you at local ER entries while getting your unit back into service.

Trick of the trade, keep 4 manila envelope, every time you attend a conference, copies of any cards, cert.'s place a copy into each on of the envelope, one is for a copy for you, one for State, one for NREMT (if applicable), one for your local service. Then when it is time to re-cert it is easier to gather, and you already have a copy of everything. So many procrastinate, and become frantic...

Here is a pet peeve of mine.... every time you need a strip of tape, you cannot get the end (especially with gloves on) fold one corner over and you have a start that is easy to get the tape off.

Good topic AK....

R/r 911

AK although it sounds like a good idea, unfortunately not all states allow photocopy, some will only get a print that says "Licensed".. or VOID nothing more. For some states it is illegal to even copy state medical license, some will not recognize a copy as the same as on the sate drivers license (OK does not).

Yep. We went through this where I was once employed. They wanted photocopies of everybody's licence, but several of us refused, citing State Board rules prohibiting photocopying your licence. It was a major hassle with threats of termination and such. Idiots. :roll:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.