Menorrhagia

About 30% of women are bothered by heavy menstrual bleeding. For some women, it's a temporary condition that clears on its own. For others, the heavy bleeding is chronic and presents a real disruption to daily life.

If you experience any of the following symptoms, you may have a condition called menorrhagia, which is the medical term for excessive menstrual blood flow or prolonged menstrual bleeding.

Soaking through pads or tampons every hour or two, or overnight

Needing double protection (two pads, two tampons, or pad plus tampon)

Having prolonged periods (lasting more than 7 days)

Passing large blood clots during menstruation

Experiencing constant cramping during periods

Experiencing symptoms of anemia

However, the symptoms of menorrhagia can vary greatly from person to person -- so speak with your healthcare provider if your menstrual cycle is disrupting your daily life.

__________________________ _________________________ __________________ _________________

Back in 1995 I met a lady who had this problem but the strange thing about it was-that it was so bad I had to call the medics to come because it was as if she was overflowing (bleeding profusedly).

When the medics came they said what the heck did you do to her, and I'm like what?? so I got mad and said I didnt do a dam thing to her. What she has is Menorrhagia and the medic said is that so and I said yeah and he said what makes you think she has that because I said I have the exact thing.

In the hospital it turns out yes that was exactly what she had.

I'm not right all of the time, just some of the time. lol

Well. . .gentlemen its a topic to understand women and if you sir the one stationed in Iraq see a lot of them but you cant touch maybe be friendly and all, then it's a rare topic to be discussed.

I know EMT's really dont have or ever experienced in most cases somethings that are rare in this case and so to understand the anatomy of woman vs. man perse this was one I think that needs to be.

I'm curious if a woman is suffering with this and has no clue and she calls you, so??

I'm an EMR preschooler I'm learning, yes I'm female but I think some women out there in the EMS field probably have never had it or know someone who does.

I'm wondering in these cases is it life threatening, probably not, could it be she was pregnant and tried to abort the fetus on her own. These are cases to which yes it could happen, so which is the worst case scenario you can think of, gentlemen??

I wait with abated breath. . .

As described by the Mayo Clinic, this is a rare and unusual situation. More than likely medics will be treating symptomatically rather than knowing the exact syndrome, it is described as very rare and infrequent, usually associated with pre-menopause. As well, I would doubt that EMS would be notified unless there is large amount of hemorrhage, most vag bleeds tend to arrive by car.

There is nothing more to do except give some volume expander's and treat for shock.. even in the ER. more than likely Vitamin k will be administered, & possibility of administration of blood if H & H is low enough. Consult with a gyno, for a possible D & C after ultrasound. Although it sounds serious, usually it is easily controlled and not considered that emergent of a situation for majority of the patients.

R/r 911

If everyone is curious - please read the Johns Hopkins University website on gynecology. More women experience this than what you may think. There are several new procedures that are alternatives to the "old hysterectomy cure". I encourage anyone with this to seek the JHU website for alternative therapies.

Well. . .gentlemen its a topic to understand women and if you sir the one stationed in Iraq see a lot of them but you cant touch maybe be friendly and all, then it's a rare topic to be discussed.

Actually, there are many, many women here and, being the medical officer here, I am the only one who IS allowed to touch. :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.