Ever Wonder why your Med Con takes the position he does???

Ace844

Hello Everyone,

For those of us who like to 'learn' and want to understand the rationale as to why some things are percieved certain ways by our Medical directors or Medical Control docs. Here is some updated insight with some evidence to support the conclusions made. Here is a 'link' to the 2006 ACEP POLICY COMPENDIUM Here is where you'll find all kinds of information on most of the subjects we encounter in the course of our careers.

Hope this Helps,

ACE844

http://www.acep.org/NR/rdonlyres/337CD670-...6polcompend.pdf

Come on, man! PLEASE just post the link!!! We will get it!!! PLEASE do NOT embed the document into the body of your message!!! It loads the document each and every time the thread is opened...even when attempting to post a reply. Never mind that it's been loaded/downloaded from previous readings of the thread.

Not only that but for our friends still using a dial up connection this has the potential to clog their page loading capabilities and/or freeze their connection.

I understand that you're trying to share information. I appreciate and applaud all the work and research you do to help out all of us out here. It does not go unnoticed!

But please, for the love all things holy and sacred in the EMS world, just post the URL. I'm not sure you're aware just quite how aggravating this is for many of us out here.

Again, thanks for all the info. Including this from ACEP.

Respectfully submitted:

-be safe.

Come on, man! PLEASE just post the link!!! We will get it!!! PLEASE do NOT embed the document into the body of your message!!! It loads the document each and every time the thread is opened...even when attempting to post a reply. Never mind that it's been loaded/downloaded from previous readings of the thread.

Not only that but for our friends still using a dial up connection this has the potential to clog their page loading capabilities and/or freeze their connection.

I understand that you're trying to share information. I appreciate and applaud all the work and research you do to help out all of us out here. It does not go unnoticed!

But please, for the love all things holy and sacred in the EMS world, just post the URL. I'm not sure you're aware just quite how aggravating this is for many of us out here.

Again, thanks for all the info. Including this from ACEP.

Respectfully submitted:

-be safe.

Fixed, and changed to a URL link, thanks for the advisement.

ACE844

When did we lose Reagan??????

Seriously, want to know why Medical Control thinks the way they do? Check out this thread. I have many more stories. To be fair I also have many stories of things going the right way and field crews performing above and beyond.

http://www.emtcity.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4723

When did we lose Reagan??????

Seriously, want to know why Medical Control thinks the way they do? Check out this thread. I have many more stories. To be fair I also have many stories of things going the right way and field crews performing above and beyond.

http://www.emtcity.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4723

"ERDoc,"

I'd like to try to help some of the people here who may be new, and have never utilized medical control before. Do you have any advice for Basics who maybe requesting-recieving Medical control for the first time? Any hints, do's, don't etc... Next for the Paramedics, step it up a notch, what are your minimum expectations with a 'presentation' from a medic? What may or may not dictate sucess (menaing approval and ultimately agreement with their request)?

Thanks,

ACE844

I find the biggest issue when using medical control is to paint a clear picture. In my experience, if you give the doc a good enough report that he can close his eyes and see the patient in his head, you will rarely be denied what you are asking for.

I find most of the denied requests are by medics that don't give a good report. The Docs will not attach their name to something they are unsure of.

Also, be specific as to what you want. ie... Instead of asking how much mrophine to give say "I would like to give 2.5mg morphine q10 mins PRN".

This will be interesting. We are getting a new EMS Medical Director, whom will also be the new chief of ER as well. He is just finished his residency last year and has been in a administration residency program. We had a very qualified and at first active EMS director ...but with time she became busy and changed locations which interfered with her participation with us.... and this has held us back.

The new Doc. is young and appears aggressive, and wants to be active and ride with us a lest twice a month, as well as him observing the Paramedics maybe in ER as well. I have worked with him for the past 2 years in ER and he's okay. At least he is still young enough to read studies.. good and bad thoughts!..

I have steered him to EMSP and hopefully he will start coordinating with active members.

I agree, it is not easy to be a good EMS Med. Control.. If one notices, a great EMS program has a great EMS physician...

R/r 911

Contacting telemetry is kind of a Catch-22. In the most emergent situations, you'll want to get the minimum information necessary to begin a critical intervention (I.e. calling for RSI), as soon as possible, while in these situations, a really detailed presentation is what's needed for consideration due to the patien'ts condition. If I call a doctor and give a beautiful, well thought out, spot on detailed history and physical, and then at the end ask for sedation orders so I can intubate because the patient is seizing and has not stopped since his head injury, the doctor would probably be angry with me. However, if I call up and say "DOC I NEED MEDS FOR AN AIRWAY! NOW!" He won't be too pleased either. Its a balance, I guess.

"ERDoc,"

I'd like to try to help some of the people here who may be new, and have never utilized medical control before. Do you have any advice for Basics who maybe requesting-recieving Medical control for the first time? Any hints, do's, don't etc... Next for the Paramedics, step it up a notch, what are your minimum expectations with a 'presentation' from a medic? What may or may not dictate sucess (menaing approval and ultimately agreement with their request)?

Thanks,

ACE844

A great deal is how organized you are. If you sound like you are stumbling to get the story across it does not instill the gratest confidence. I think I discussed this a long time ago about giving hospital presentations. Try going something like this, "65 y/o male with h/o CAD, MIX2, 3VCABG c/o substernal chest pain going to left arm for 1 hr. Started while shoveling snow." Give pertinent PE info or say PE unremarkable. Give any pertinent EKG/rhythm strip info. Tell what you've done and the response to it. Finally give ETA to hospital. Obviously there are exceptions. If you have a trauma that needs to be RSI'd, keep it quick. "Unrestrained driver in head on MVA. GCS=3, would like to RSI." Keep it simple and too the point. As long as you sound competent, you will be treated as competent and usually get what you want (just be prepared to justify it if needed). Obviously this is just my opinion and everyone is different.

Hope this helps.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.