Scene times....

When I worked for XYZ Company, we were gigged for scene times > 10 minutes for traumas and > 15 minutes for medicals (>20 minutes for codes). If we had prolonged scene times, we'd better have very good explanation (acceptable = extrication from location; unacceptable = IV attempts > 1, extremely short transport time). Transport times (6 facilities to chose from) ranged from 2 minutes to > 45 minutes depending on where in the response area you were and where the patient wanted to go. We also had hospital turn-around times to meet (20 minutes to have the unit response ready and paperwork completed and hospital copy left with the patients chart). The only exception was clean up from codes and level I traumas. All these numbers (plus several others) figured into your evaluation and shift-bid ranking.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we are going local our transports are only like a few miles (usually under 6 or so). We will stay on scene because of the rough roads and usually get a line, EKG, blood, etc. (depending on the call) to help make it easier on the patient and the staff at the local ER.

However, if I'm going to the medical center we will usually just start transporting because we have a 20 mile trip in rush hour traffic (more then enough time to get everything done).

Interesting responses...

Keep in mind I work for a municipal service, and the only service that does 911 for the city...That and our health care systems are obviously different...

Scene times (from arriving on scene to departing scene) for your standard call are probably around 20mins (ALS or BLS). There is no "standard" that has to be met, if you are longer, you are longer. We do get an automatic "well being" page after 30mins I think...

Longer calls (cardiac arrest for example) you could be on scene for well over an hour (following a pronouncement). Doing paper work, talking to the family, restocking, etc...They don't bother you too much...

Turn around times at hospital vary from 30mins to ummmm, well over 6+ hours. I'm not joking...Being bothered because you aren't ready to do another call after being at the hospital for 20mins would be impossible here, litterally, it just couldn't happen.

I would say on average, total call time (from dispatched to clearing the hospital and available) runs around 2 hours. Sometimes less, usually more. And these are with heavy urban response areas and hospitals. If you needed to get to a hospital, you are never more than 10 mins away, maximum.

Our department has no standard for this. I like to feel comfortable with patient before moving, some like to get to ambulance quick and work there. The county dispatch will check on you every ten minutes unless you cancel the "duration check." IF you do not respond the cavalry will be sent.

I would say for a department average on scene time is about 15 minutes. We do have some calls to a Veterans home that scene time is longer because of getting through the building and dealing with the staff.

Hi everybody,

I think that the race to meet set times is detrimental to patient care, especially in a medical call. I concur with my Canadian colleague. It takes as long as it takes. As far as an adult code is concerned, the idea of transporting whilst still doing BLS is completely alien to me. Why would you? What does the hospital have to offer in the short-term that you don't? Work the code, get ROSC or pronounce. Much simpler, much less dangerous and it doesn't offer false hope to the family either.

We're a funny lot, us Europeans, aren't we?

Carl.

Hi everybody,

I think that the race to meet set times is detrimental to patient care, especially in a medical call. I concur with my Canadian colleague. It takes as long as it takes. As far as an adult code is concerned, the idea of transporting whilst still doing BLS is completely alien to me. Why would you? What does the hospital have to offer in the short-term that you don't? Work the code, get ROSC or pronounce. Much simpler, much less dangerous and it doesn't offer false hope to the family either.

Carl.

I'll say your a 'funny lot,' alright. What with the need to differetiate 'Still' water from 'gas' and all...ALIEN even!!... :wink: ;) 8)

ACE

Hi everybody,

Carl.

If you are only able to provide BLS level care on a cardiac arrest, then wouldn't you get going as quickly as the situation will allow? If you have ALS interventions being performed, then it is less critical to transport.

I'll say your a 'funny lot,' alright. What with the need to differetiate 'Still' water from 'gas' and all...ALIEN even!!... :wink: :P 8)

ACE

You've lost me, mate! I think it's meant as a joke, so I'm probably just being a bit thick. Please explain (sorry for ruining the pun)

If you are only able to provide BLS level care on a cardiac arrest, then wouldn't you get going as quickly as the situation will allow? If you have ALS interventions being performed, then it is less critical to transport.

Yes, then you would want to get the pt as soon as possible to ALS. All of EMS here in Holland is ALS so it's not really an issue

Carl.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.