International Reciprocity

So I am very curious, what do all you know about international reciprocity? Is there any? At what level(EMT, Paramedic)? I know that there are programs for RNs and MDs but what about us?

Thanks

Eric

Very dependent upon what country you are talking about. Pretty much any country worth going to has standards so far ahead of ours that they'd laugh you out the door. Especially a US EMT-B, which is the joke of the EMS world. Some might let a paramedic challenge their exam. Most would require some additional training since protocols and procedures are VERY different for paramedics worldwide, unlike nursing, which is more standardised. It would take you time to learn local protocols and procedures, as well as laws and drug names before you could even think of passing their exam.

It can be done. But without a degree and proof of substantial 911 experience, it is extremely difficult, if not impossible in most places.

If you're serious about being a professional, you would be much better off simply going to another country and attending paramedic school there, then working there.

Thanks for the insight. I of course was talking about as a Medic. I have been a basic for 5 years and an Intermediate for 2. I'm starting Paramedic school is Sept. I work now in a high volume EMS role.

What type of degree? I currently have a BS in Nuclear Engineering. (yes i'm serious) Would that be of any help?

The US is my home and my first priority however I would love to go overseas (as a civ for a change) and work for a while. I was considering the UK, Austriala, Israel or to the north in Canada. What do you guys think

I would be interested in going to the UK from the list you made. I'm not 100% sure on their full operations but I believe they have MDs on the ambulances. I remember seeing a show about international EMS systems one time and there was a MD on board....also from the same show never work in South Africa :shock:

I would be interested in going to the UK from the list you made. I'm not 100% sure on their full operations but I believe they have MDs on the ambulances. I remember seeing a show about international EMS systems one time and there was a MD on board....also from the same show never work in South Africa :shock:

the UK does not have 'MDs on ambulances' , however London HEMS ( both Air and Ground units they run) and some of the other Air ambulances fly with Docs, and there are various systems in some localities to provide medical support to scene via ground Intercept... ( SEARCH for ATACC or West midlands CARE team as schemes with a good net presence) there are also some schemes which have individual , Docs (and Nurses and Paramedics) with a particular interest in prehospital emergency care providing additional assitanceo n a voluntary basis at the request of ambulance controls... (see www.basics.org.uk)

At present Paramedic education is service delivered but will be moving into Higher education over the next couple of years .

Any US American provider coming in will probably have to start again from the bottom, epsecially now 'grandfathering' onto the HPC Paramedic register has closed and the IHCD course may be stopping being recognised in the next year or so

Dust is correct that EMT- B will count for nothing , the uk voluntary sector has first aiders with more classroom time than EMT_Bs m, as do NHS Patient transport services who only do low dependency outpatients and interfacility work , UK NHS 'middle tier' and Voluntary sector crews often have 200 -300 hours of classroom time and variable locla supervised practice requirements ... with the IHCD qualified tech having a bit more clasroom time on top plus 1800 hours of 'supervised' clinical practice before becoming fully qualified.

traditionally Paramedic entry required IHCD technician plus further experience and then a further 6 wee classroom course + 4 -6 weeks of hospital placements , however the university courses tend to allow entry 'from the street' but include several thousand hours of properly structueed placements both on the road and in hospital

Welcome to the site! :lol:

The US is my home and my first priority however I would love to go overseas (as a civ for a change) and work for a while. I was considering the UK, Austriala, Israel or to the north in Canada.

For Israel, try asking for the list of professional requirements at the official MDA's site .

I will not ask as for your "non-civic existence" but be aware of the possibility that they probably will.

I would suspect that their first question however would be whether you have an Israeli citizenship, and speak Hebrew/Arabic.

Their site is not that updated or impressive, but they do have a very efficient "contact us" button.

If you do read the language, try at the Israeli paramedics association website. Many good people there who would gladly help you out.

I currently have a BS in Nuclear Engineering. (yes i'm serious) Would that be of any help?

hmmm... probably not in the EMS field :wink: .

Good luck.

Good info Asy.

Etfink if you are seriously considering Israel, I would suggest a program with MDA like this...

http://www.israelprograms.org/MagenDavidAdom.htm

It will give you time in Israel to feel the culture and experience EMS in whatever city you choose, Hebrew is a must though.

Peace,

Marty

:joker:

Volunteering in Israel is a lot easier then working...... would you want to volunteer. If so, then Israel will accept your EMT-b certificate, although they may want to test you, to make sure you actually know your stuff.

I believe Americans can transfer their US Paramedic licenses to Israeli paramedic licenses, although i think they have to do a test with the ministry of health.

To volunteer on a program like the Yocahi program, all you need is very very basic Hebrew, most people take Hebrew tutoring (Ulpan) for two weeks before, and pick the rest up as they go along.

Unlike the UK Israel does have MD's on some of our ICU's.

ASY i wouldn't use the official paramedics site, the forums on it are kind of dead.

For any more information, or for contact numbers/ emails, feel free to write me, AaronLudman@gmail.com

Aaron

• 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.