Medic's Assistant...

Found this interesting. I will call tomorrow to find out more, but what the heck is a medic's assistant???

Are these glorified First Responders to help with the shortage??

If any of you LA guys have answers, give us a clue.

http://www.klfy.com/Global/story.asp?S=4962278

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey AK, if you cross reference the dates in the story...

The three-month assistant medic class begins June 20th and is being offered in seven cities in Louisiana, including Lafayette, Baton Rouge, Lake Charles and Alexandria.

With the dates from Acadian's site for the "National EMS Academy" EMT-Basic Class....

EMT – Basic Classes

June 20: Alexandria, Baton Rouge, Covington, Houma, Lafayette, Lake Charles

...it looks to me like it's just another name for a Basic.

Peace,

Marty

:joker:

So what do they do when they are a BLS truck? Who are they assisting????LOL

I dunno if I want one. I prefer a EMT PARTNER, not an assistant, but...if they insist I have one..

In New jersey they offer this to EMT's as an additional title so that they can add a rocker patch over their emt patch that says... Paramedic assistant. They get some hands on practice with the lifepack 12, how to run through IV's, some fyi ekg and phamacology info and that is it. It does not allow them to do anything beyond their scope as emt b's. I think this in total is 16 hours long.

-

Maybe there is something to it. Like previously stated nothing that increases their scope, however some more education and the ability to be more useful to our medics would be great. Like most of us basics I learned how to strip a bag, set up a 12 lead and hand my medic requested drugs and the such by my medic partners.

In urban settings where there are ALS rides there would be a great advantage to standardizing this level of education. Further for EMTs who want to go to medic school it would let us learn more on the job.

As stated before lets look at these things without raging EGOS.

Like most of us basics I learned how to strip a bag, set up a 12 lead and hand my medic requested drugs and the such by my medic partners.

That's great if you have a bunch of firemen standing around to take care of the other EMT duties. If not, the EMT has a lot more to be concerned with.

In urban settings where there are ALS rides there would be a great advantage to standardizing this level of education.

It's not education. It's training. Just like a dog, a horse, or a monkey. It takes all of two shifts to learn. Let's not make this into something it isn't.

Further for EMTs who want to go to medic school it would let us learn more on the job.

Uhhh... medic school is the very reason you don't need to learn this stuff on the job. Again, if you really want to learn it, it takes about two shifts to master it all. You don't need a training class for it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.