BlackSheep's EMT-J, must equal EMT-Joke...

EMT-J's are EMT-B's with capabilities of giving certain medications without medical command.

Albuterol

Diphenhydramine

Epinephrine

Glucagon

Ipratropium

Naxolone HCL

Nitroglycerin

Nitropaste[/font:25fd400a1d]

That was taken from the volley thread.

Discuss...Wait I already know what is going to be said by everyone except for BlackSheep...

I say it's 200 hours didactic with 100 clinical/preceptorship.

Nitropaste????? Jesus...

What are these DOCTOR'S thinking????

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I say it's 200 hours didactic with 100 clinical/preceptorship.

I think that is probably giving them way too much credit.

Chances are, they probably don't have 200 hours total, including clinicals.

Most probably are vollies who don't even have 200 hours, including didactic, clinicals, and time on ambulance runs.

Including non-emergency transfers.

Handing over the responsibility of these drugs is a much bigger deal than many may realize. I am sure it is exciting to say "hey I can do this and give that!". Though unfortunately without a paramedic level of training or higher seeing the big picture is very difficult.

Cookie cutter medicine without understanding is like putting a gun in someones hand and saying go out and hunt bad guys. You've seen it on tv and have maybe read up on it a little but have no professional training and clinical experience with it's use and the expertise required to determine it's use.

We recently had a paramedic student overstep his authority and placed a pt in danger. Not because he was wrong in his evaluation but because he had not yet had the training or practice with a seasoned paramedic to make that decision on his own. Everything turned out fine thank God. Though he made a crucial mistake in the process in handling the delivery of the drug. He did not take a BP before giving nitro in an almost unconscious pt. If it had been too low we all know he could have dropped the BP right out the the bottom. If it was a right heart MI the preload could have all but disappeared.

Fact is these meds are (even in a simple setting with classic findings) too much to deal with only having an extra 1/4 in a college setting. The picture the instructor would have to paint would be limited due to time constraints.

Dustdevil's passion for knowing your own education before attempting someone elses is going to prove prophetic with these EMT-J's.

Be careful if you are a "J". The education itself may be setting you up for failure and disaster in the field.

The Hook

Cookie cutter medicine without understanding is like putting a gun in someones hand and saying go out and hunt bad guys.

Of course, their counter argument will be that they have been trained on said drugs. :roll:

Trying to explain the difference between training and education to these people is futile. And if they can't understand that simple concept, it's hard to figure why anybody thinks they can understand complex pharmacological concepts.

By the way, I don't know about everywhere else, but the police academy is as long as paramedic school here. Time on the firing range alone is almost as long as most EMT courses. And EMT's wonder why they get no trust or respect.

Narcan without even calling medical control... Don't ACPs even need to call for it?

Really? So, someone is unconscious/unresponsive due to an obvious narcotic OD, you need to call for orders first before narcan administration? I'm just curious, I figured it'd be standing as we do, as Canada is so progressive.

Best that my google skills can come up with is "EMT-Johnson" (not joking, either...)

http://www.tjems.org/skillsdelineation.pdf

Once again JPINFV beat me to the Google button :x. So then EMT-Johnson is a basic with a penis extension, making up for their educational shortcomings. It's not their fault really. The Medical Director must be out of their mind to even jeopardize his/her license in such a way by even considering this lunacy. :roll: