where to turn for grants?

Dustdevil is correct. As you guys are aware, I just returned from a location where I worked alongside representatives from many different branches of the military and US govt. I worked and trained alongside some SEALS and 18Deltas. The ones that I was able to hang with and make conversation did indeed have their National Registry status. I provided a couple of them with the requirements to maintain it as they were planning/preparing for a civilian role in the near future. They informed me that they were provided their NR status through the military, pretty standard route. In case you didn't know, all SEALS are medics as well( at least that is what they told me, may be varying levels but they claim that).

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd just like to get hold of the syllabus and curriculum.

I could do some damage with that! :twisted:

That raises a good point. In the areas where there is an actual critical need, there are indeed grants and scholarship opportunities available. Rural frontier areas, Indian reservations, the military. All will pay to train you in return for an agreement to work for them for a nominal amount of time.

If you can't find grants, take that as a really clear clue. It means there is no critical need for EMT's in the area you are looking. And, of course, that is a really clear clue that even if you pay for your own school, you aren't likely to find a decent job very quickly. Continuing to pursue such a thing after learning that does not speak well of a persons intelligence!

Funny how, with all the pointless crap they teach in high schools these days, they still don't bother to teach kids how to intelligently choose a career field, do job market research, or to apply for and land a job.

DISCLAIMER: The above is not aimed at anyone in particular. Just a general observation.

Funny how, with all the pointless crap they teach in high schools these days, they still don't bother to teach kids how to intelligently choose a career field, do job market research, or to apply for and land a job.

DISCLAIMER: The above is not aimed at anyone in particular. Just a general observation.

That's what colleges do...except students hardly visit the career office no matter how hard they try to bring people in.

That's what colleges do...except students hardly visit the career office no matter how hard they try to bring people in.

I'd think by college, it'd be a bit too late? I mean, spending so much money not knowing at least where you'd almost like to go?

I think high school would be a better place to start that off.

It's too bad most students aren't ready to be grown up in high school.

• 3 weeks later...
I worked and trained alongside some SEALS and 18Deltas. The ones that I was able to hang with and make conversation did indeed have their National Registry status. I provided a couple of them with the requirements to maintain it as they were planning/preparing for a civilian role in the near future. They informed me that they were provided their NR status through the military, pretty standard route. In case you didn't know, all SEALS are medics as well( at least that is what they told me, may be varying levels but they claim that).

Yes, I too work with many military medics/personnel. The 91W (combat medic) will soon change again to 68W (I think in October). TC3 (Tactical Combat Casualty Care has also changed and is now CMAST - Combat Medic Advanced Skills Training). Either way a combat medic is only NR as an EMT-B. The 18D (Special Forces Medics) get NREMT-P plus they do a lot of PA type stuff and even veterinary medicine (all this and more in 52 weeks! :lol: I was under the impression that the SEALS use IDC from the Navy. The only service that I know of that has everybody certified as a paramedic is Air Force PJ's, but then again their main job is CSAR.I guess all the Special Forces Medics from the various services are NREMT-P with additional training that wouldn't always transfer to the civilian world. Still would be cool to know, though...

This started about training right? If you scrap and dig you can find money for nearly anything. They have grants for children of Fire/EMS employees, if you are a minority, or if you just happen to be at the right place at the right time. :wink: