where to turn for grants?

i did talk to the army about me joining. the other down side to that is paramedics in the army are not able to carry the certification into the civilian life.

You are misinformed.

Both EMT's and Paramedics in the Army are Nationally Registered and can carry their certs into civilian life. There are several on this board.

And what "other down side?"

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are misinformed.

Both EMT's and Paramedics in the Army are Nationally Registered and can carry their certs into civilian life. There are several on this board.

The only thing an Army medic can carry back to civilian life is NREMT-B. When they have completed their training at Ft Sam Houston, TX, they take the NREMT-B. While they (91B or whatever they are called these days) can do more than a civilian EMT-B, it doesn't translate to EMT-P. However, it will translate the other direction - civilian EMT-P can CAS into military medic.

The only thing an Army medic can carry back to civilian life is NREMT-B. When they have completed their training at Ft Sam Houston, TX, they take the NREMT-B. While they (91B or whatever they are called these days) can do more than a civilian EMT-B, it doesn't translate to EMT-P.

He wasn't talking about EMT-B's. He was talking about Paramedics. Military Paramedics are Nationally Registered EMT-P's.

Things have changed that much in the last 10 years??? :shock: I tried years ago to CAS 91B (old nomenclature) with EMT-B and they wouldn't. As of 20 yers ago, they said I could CAS with EMT-P only (which I eventually did). Last I knew no state will not accept a 91B as a civilian medic.

BTW......What is the new MOS nomenclature these days for an Army basic and paramedic??

(91B or whatever they are called these days) can do more than a civilian EMT-B, it doesn't translate to EMT-P. However, it will translate the other direction - civilian EMT-P can CAS into military medic.
Oh, 91B...I remember that. I was this close to joining under that MOS...then switched to 97B then 31B. But then they screwed me :) Recruiter lied about other perks, so after months of calling all over the place, they let me go. Just in time to escape all that 9/11 stuff. :)

Have you looked into federal financial aide? FAFSA form, state grants, school financial aide and non-interest loans. Some schools also have lists of grants available for students in different fields.

You are misinformed.

And what "other down side?"

As of one year ago, 91B could only transfer to a universal EMT-B, and EMT-I in several states. The scopes of practice were so different, that the EMT-B was apparently the only completely coorelating scope.

Show me where this changed. Im dialing the barracks now....

Again, we're not talking about 91-B's (which no longer exist). Those are standard line medics, which indeed are usually only certified to the EMT-B level.

The question is about Paramedics. The military has it's own Paramedic school and the graduates are NR certified EMT-P's.

The question is about Paramedics. The military has it's own Paramedic school and the graduates are NR certified EMT-P's.

This is very new. Do you have any other information about this?

Again, we're not talking about 91-B's (which no longer exist). Those are standard line medics, which indeed are usually only certified to the EMT-B level.

In what form do these graduates operate within the military? Seems 91-B's expanded scope would better serve in the combat setting...

It's part of the SOCOM Medical Operator course at Fort Bragg. It includes the NR paramedic curriculum as part of a much broader (close to PA) curriculum. They do their ambo time in Miami, I think. Haven't looked in awhile. SF medics and Air Force Pararescue medics all attend, although they are not the only ones. The classes stay full with non-special ops guys from all units, but especially flight medics.

91-B no longer exists, and has not in several years. And the current 91-W is being restructured again. Regardless, I would hardly call their scope "expanded" in the EMS sense. A lot of the curriculum is preventative medicine, military doctrine and tactics, and routine health assessment. It's a great course that gives an impressive foundation. But, it doesn't cover ET intubation or any cardiology, so it falls short of both the US and Canadian Intermediate level scopes of practise. It's designed for guys who will be dealing almost exclusively with young, healthy men whose biggest concern is trauma, not medical conditions.