No NR test??

Nice posts, Dust. =D> I agree!!! WHOOO HOOOOOOOOOOO!! They were long, but you hit a lot of good points. I feel a little guilty that you did all that typing and I'm just going..."Uh huh....I agree". LMAO!!

But...thanks!

xoxo :wink:

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dust, you word things so much better than I. Yes, practice is where we gain our understanding. Yes, our base knowledge must be gained in the classroom with our textbooks. I also agree that the classroom time needs lengthened. You cannot learn what you need to in 110 hours. NOT POSSIBLE. I have people who have been in the field for 25+ years and they will tell you that they are still uncomfortable on those types of calls that they may only see once a year or less. I encourage all of our members to go to as many trainings and classes as they possibly can. You have to do it and practice it to stay sharp. I think it would be great if you were able to continue ride alongs with busier departments, after you finish the class. What an asset and a help that would be.

I support a nationally recognized exam that tests everybody at a certain level. Like Dustdevil, I see schools or even individuals crank out EMT's that have little to no clinical competency, and at least testing every student to a nationally set competency level could help improve quality. I think the national registry has a process in place for testing. (psychomotor and written) The registry has it's flaws, but the NREMT has more experience in testing the NSC, so I think the NREMT is probable the best vehicle for delivering a nationally recognized exam. (after changing the testing process) In addition, I agree with increasing the course length. I have and still advocate learning in a college environment where students must take English, A&P, and science courses in addition to their core emergency medicine courses. Teaching would be done by qualified teachers with an appropriate education background. I also advocate a well developed clinical experience. I see EMT's with as little as 16-24 hours of standing around watching people work in an ER providing front line patient care in an ambulance. I am going a little off topic here but, you are in the back of an ambulance treating a patient. You do not have a doctor with you telling you what needs to be done. You may or may not have medical control available to help you. There are many times where EMT's are independent providers, you are making decisions based on your training, experience, and background. That is allot of responsibility and 110 hours followed by a cheesy test just does not cut it.

Take care everybody,

chbare.

Actually, Ohio was one of the later states to use the National Registry. I always found that ironic. The problem is you hear or even may see states that remove themselves only to find out nothing really changes, except they go more in debt. The State will now have to spend millions to develop and quantify a test, keep their standards, administer it and then it makes it harder for EMS personnel to enter the state and leave.

Although the NREMT definitely has its problems, from what I have seen most states try it for a few years only to return, again for because costs. Shame the State cannot funnel that monies into education and make sure that all programs are up to par, and increase educational programs. This would appear to be productive, than trying to change the minimal standard test, no matter what State it is, is what they can only test for.

Be safe,

R/r 911

Dust- -5 for making my eyes hurt...

Well said though...

The only two beefs I have with NR are that the test is poorly written, and that I don't like the CE setup. I'm finding that I'm taking more away from the online CE then most of the face to face CE I've attended at different services, conventions, etc.

Unfortunately there are always going to be schools who provide a crappy education to EMT students. I have experienced this in my own home department, where one school cranks out EMT's that are completely RETARDED when it comes to teching a call. This is the kind of school that signs off on students even when they miss classes. I opted to go to a real school (although granted, it was probably the 2nd best), where I actually had to show up to class and learn. I wanted to get my education so I wouldn't be a waste of space on the ambulance.

I did like that instructors from the school were not permitted to sit in on any of the tests. Outside evaluators were hired for the practical exams, and proctors (not EMT's) were hired for the written exams so that they could not assist us. However, the practicals were a little easy on us, which I thought might make us over-confident in our "skills."

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.