No NR test??

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ridryder 911, I agree that credibility and reciprocity are two very strong advantages of the registry. I do not advocate doing away with the registry. I believe that they are probably the best organization to issue a national exam. I just think that every state should require everybody to take the same national exam. That way, at least everybody has been tested to a known minimal competency level regardless of where you took your course. Some day I would like to see Paramedics as licensed professionals and EMS officially recognized as a profession.

Take care,

chbare.

They should be the best agency to issue a national exam since that is their main function. :wink: :D

A question for Ridryder, Dustdevil and other nurses here, What was the required passing grade for the NCLEX? I really have no idea, and since that is what we would like to see in our profession I was curious. Obliviously it is on different material, but what is the difference between NCLEX and NR as far as testing goes?

Just curious.

If it weren't for the constant discussion on this board, I wouldn't even remember what the minimum score on NR was, and I took it only a few months ago. :?

I definitely can't remember what the required score was on NCLEX. And the whole test format has changed from when Rid and I took it. Hopefully he has more current info on this than I do. I believe it is still as it was before, which is an almost completely scenario based exam, just like NR, that requires you to assess a patient and choose the appropriate course of action for him or her. That is what NR is trying to emulate. Unfortunately, they have retards writing the questions.

Why should I pay to take an exam that's not going to challenge me? What do I get out of it? An ugly gold patch, woohoo! :roll: I'm all about improving the continuity of care and learning, but the NR is far from the answer to our problems. It's not going to get any better unless we find something better...

Why should I pay to take an exam that's not going to challenge me? What do I get out of it? An ugly gold patch, woohoo! :roll: I'm all about improving the continuity of care and learning, but the NR is far from the answer to our problems. It's not going to get any better unless we find something better...

That's a given. The question is, what is better? Has NC found something "better," or is it just different? Are you saying I would find NC's exam significantly more challenging than NR? Have you taken NR in order to objectively compare them? Tell us what the rest of the country can learn from NC.

In my experience, the majority of those who don't want to take NR are afraid of the challenge. Afraid of finding out they aren't as good as they think they are. Afraid of finding out they don't know as much as they think they know. It's easier to just continue to believe that "I passed my state test, and that's good enough."

So what is "the answer to our problems?"

That's a given. The question is, what is better? Has NC found something "better," or is it just different? Are you saying I would find NC's exam significantly more challenging than NR? Have you taken NR in order to objectively compare them? Tell us what the rest of the country can learn from NC.

In my experience, the majority of those who don't want to take NR are afraid of the challenge. Afraid of finding out they aren't as good as they think they are. Afraid of finding out they don't know as much as they think they know. It's easier to just continue to believe that "I passed my state test, and that's good enough."

So what is "the answer to our problems?"

Where did you get out of my post that I was comparing the North Carolina exam to the NR? Or did you just assume that I was comparing the two? You know what they say about assumptions... :roll:

The only thing I will give the NR is the quanity of skill stations that are required vs the NC state exam, but any monkey can remember enough material after studying the skill sheets that are provided before the exam to pass the practical stations, where's the challenge in that?

Where did you get out of my post that I was comparing the North Carolina exam to the NR? Or did you just assume that I was comparing the two?

I did neither. I asked you if you were comparing the two so I could know for sure.

Sorry you misunderstood me.

The NCLEX is set up a little differently that the NREMT exams. Like the NREMT the goal of the NCLEX is to test someone to a minimum competency level. As you take the exam the questions get more complex and head toward the set minimum competency. If you start answering incorrectly, the questions become less complex. This game of getting more complex as you answer correctly and less complex as you answer incorrectly goes on until it is determined that you can consistently answer questions correctly in the minimum competency level or you cannot answer questions in the minimum competency level. One that is determined the computer will stop spitting out questions and you are done. This can be as little as 75 questions or over 200 questions. You are not graded on a percent correct, but solely on you ability to achieve the minimum standard for competency. It is a little complicated, but I hope that helps.

Take care,

chbare.

The NCLEX is set up a little differently that the NREMT exams. Like the NREMT the goal of the NCLEX is to test someone to a minimum competency level. As you take the exam the questions get more complex and head toward the set minimum competency. If you start answering incorrectly, the questions become less complex. This game of getting more complex as you answer correctly and less complex as you answer incorrectly goes on until it is determined that you can consistently answer questions correctly in the minimum competency level or you cannot answer questions in the minimum competency level. One that is determined the computer will stop spitting out questions and you are done. This can be as little as 75 questions or over 200 questions. You are not graded on a percent correct, but solely on you ability to achieve the minimum standard for competency. It is a little complicated, but I hope that helps.

Take care,

chbare.

During my recent refresher we had a National Reg representative speak to us about the new Computerized Adaptive Testing the NREMT is starting in 2007. It sounds about the same as what you said chbare. Here's a link if anybody wants to read about it.

http://www.nremt.org/about/article_00028_A...ng_Valuable.asp

Peace,

Marty

:thumbleft:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.