Coverage area

I am just curious what size of an area that some of the rural EMS providers cover.

Our county is 900 square miles and we cover slightly less than half that. There are four other services in our county that split up the remaining portion. We also do mutual aid for each other when necessary.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have 928 square miles to cover. 3 trucks are on duty at a time. One at Dardanelle, one at Danville, and one at Ola, along with call backs for each station. The Ola station usually has to cover the Danville staton if there is a long transport. We desperately need at least two more stations to cut down on response times in the far reaches of this county. There have been a few times when all 3 trucks were out and the county was left open!

-Dix

The county I work in is 852 sq miles. We have 2 stations in the county. One in the Southeast Corner and one in the middle. We have 24 hour call backs for both stations and the ability to move trucks around from station to station if the need arises.

Dan

The area my "house" covers is about 11 miles long, by a mile wide at it's widest, but the patch on my arm says the "City of New York," which is a much larger area. Either BKone or FDNYEMT will take this one if I can't find out the geographic size of NYC.

Here in the Hilltowns we cover 6 towns, its somewhere over 300sq miles of coverage area. Easy was to think about it is thats its about 3 times the size of Boston. Our station is centeraly located we have 2 ambulances. 1 fully staffed from 8-4 weekdays one EMT on during the 8-4 weekends. All other hours are our volunteers. They do a great job slamming out the calls. Last night was a good example. 5 calls between 1300-2300 and one ambulance was on a fire standy by with the fulltime crew. Without our volunteers 4 calls would have been missed.

We cover about 100 sq. miles of hills and valleys with a population of about 26,000. Our coverage area overlaps four townships and a bunch of villages. The dividing lines between districts have been worked out over the years to cut response time rather than distance. Around here it's faster to go 10 miles on a main road than go 5 "over the hill." We have two ambulances and a "fly car" at Central Station, our ca. 1911 firehouse. There is a third ambulance at Station Four across the river. All of the rigs are ALS equipped.

Weekdays 5 AM to 6 PM is covered by two paid Paramedics with volunteer drivers and sometimes volunteer EMTs for crew. The rest of the time it's all volunteer. 30 EMTs with about a third being EMT-CC or -P. The heaviest call rate I've seen was five in about 30 minutes Xmas eve. We had to call for mutual aid for ambulances but we answered all of them. The Wed. before we had 13 calls during a rain & ice storm. The "normal" day is more like 4 to 5.

The county I work in is about 20 miles by 25 miles, so that is about 500 square miles. There are 5 stations in our county and we are one of only two ILS services, which means we normally are the "medics" for any critical call in our county (the other ILS service only has 2 EMT-I's so they have a hard time maintaining full time ILS staffing for their one ILS ambulance).

The ambulance service I work for covers 1870sqmi. If you include the three mutual response zones (both counties respond and whoever gets there first...) it's well in excess of 2000sqmi. There are 4 stations, one of which covers more than half of that area (1100sqmi)!

SAR covers 650sqmi (75% is national forest) and responds for mutual aid regularly to all surounding counties and statewide.

Dive Rescue officially covers 650sqmi, but because there are no other dive teams nearby, all the other counties call us so we actually cover something like 5000sqmi.

Our county is 3600 sq. miles, we respond to about 1600 of that automatically and frequently assist on the remainder. We are surrounded by reservation and help them out quite a bit. Sometimes our response times are up to 1 hour maybe more.

We went 70 miles on Sat for an unresponsive assault victim.

My county is about 420 The main part of the county population size about 20,000 and then there are quite a few small towns that have about 500-1000 We have 3 trucks on at all time and we average about 6,000 calls a year, We have 1 transfer truck.... Glad we are 24 on 72 off we need that

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.