Noloxone...should EMT-I's be able to administer?

Should EMT-I's be able to administer Narcan?  

63 members have voted

1. 1.

• yes
    • no, it's should be a paramedic drug only
    • undecided

I already worked with enough losers from Oregon to know I wouldn't like it, lol. :D

So they can't do the Polo shirt or t-shirt thing there, I guess?

If your wearing a t-shirt or polo it must have your level on it.

They had to make that exception for the fire boys.

Peace,

Marty

:thumbleft:

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I was honestly trying to be sarcastic, but as I've learnt once again, emotion doesn't transfer well over the internet.

And, just for clarification, I'm a practicing ACP for the past 8 years now, and use to to work as a critical care flight paramedic.

peace

NP.. I can take a ribbing like anyone else. The problem is the vote is tied and as of yet.. there still has been no medical justification of allowing such. Again, we want to do stuff without paying hte educational dues. No, not a class that is based upon clock hours...

Please, if your going to vote at least be able to defend your action...

R/r 911

Medically defend what issue? Overinflated egos and delusions of superiority are personality dysfunctions.

I'm quite content that it's stated at the beginning of each protocol book that "any patient receiving symptom relief medication is expected to have high flow oxygen, continuous cardiac monitoring and a complete set of vitals pre and post administration" or something similar. This allows for justification of the cause and following trends.

If I may sidestep however ... when I made the move DOWN the ladder from being a critical care flight medic to advanced care land medic, there was a huge difference in the way staff at receiving facilities reacted. The higher level of certification, the higher level of expectations and more importantly, trust, is extended to that provider.

peace

Usually, it the flight crew I have found that has overinflated egos.. A nurse that doesn't think they can do no wrong, a paramedic that does not know if they did wrong, and a Pilot that does not know what wrong is..... :wink:

After flying in both fix and rotor for several years.. I soon realized, that the jobs are the same. There was no difference except I can move around a hell lot easier and not have to keep watch for "heavies" and LZ's. Although I love flying, it is a wide misconception anything is "special" up there. Yes, you have to have more education on flight medicine but that can be easily learned. Emergency care is emergency care, no matter where, locality, or time of day.

It does not matter which flight/jump suit I wear.. I am the same.

R/r 911

Oh Mr. Rid ... flight medicine is a huge upwards jump from land based EMS here in Ontario. It's such a different world, it really is unbelievable. For instance, I went from having 60+ of the most common medications available to me in the air to a little under 20, with only 4 being true ACLS meds ... Not trying to puff up my own ego, but I do appreciate the occasional pat on the back once in a while :wink:

peace

And maybe we could cover some paramedic patches from this thread with an "MD" sticker and overinflate their egos more....Wait is that possible?

Inflate our egos? I don't see any medics here asking for more skills than what they have. Especially out of this thread. In fact, I've seen medics explain repeatedly and clearly why we don't feel that EMT-I's should be giving medications. What I have not seen yet, and doubt I will see, is a logical explanation of why an EMT-I would need to give narcan (or other meds)? The only rationale so far is that it might save a medic a few seconds. That reasoning is hardly worth while in my opinion. I also tend to be of the opinion that if someone's giving a medication on my scene, I want them to have the same level of care (and responsibility) that I carry. I'm not going to explain why some EMT or EMT-I screwed up a medication dose based on my order. I'd rather draw up and give the medication. If there's a problem, it falls on me and noone else. There's very few calls (if any) that I can recall being on that I would have found it greatly beneficial to have someone else handing me medications already drawn up.

So the question remains, explain why an EMT-I should be giving Narcan or other medications? And my additional question is where did this topic turn into a discussion of paramedic ego? If being able to explain logically why you feel the way you do about something is having an ego, then I'm happy to have mine. My opinion on the matter still stands.

Shane

NREMT-P

Okay, time to put your money were your mouth is.. medically defend the issue.

Would any medical director really feel comfortable with administration of medication without cardiac monitoring ?.. hmm Call that ego or just good patient care ? ...

R/r 911

A chimp with the right training could hook up leads to a patient (as long as he wasn't colorblind) and hit the print button. gasp...I know how to attach leads. White, red, green...oh crap, too many colors. I give up. I can trend my patient by reassessment and vitals. If necessary, I can do CPR and I know how to work an AED.

A chimp with the right training could hook up leads to a patient (as long as he wasn't colorblind) and hit the print button. gasp...I know how to attach leads. White, red, green...oh crap, too many colors. I give up. I can trend my patient by reassessment and vitals. If necessary, I can do CPR and I know how to work an AED.

Yes because we as paramedics only watch the screen...because we lack the ability to fix any problems that might occur. :roll: CPR and AED's don't fix SVT.

Inflate our egos? I don't see any medics here asking for more skills than what they have. Especially out of this thread. In fact, I've seen medics explain repeatedly and clearly why we don't feel that EMT-I's should be giving medications. What I have not seen yet, and doubt I will see, is a logical explanation of why an EMT-I would need to give narcan (or other meds)? The only rationale so far is that it might save a medic a few seconds. That reasoning is hardly worth while in my opinion. I also tend to be of the opinion that if someone's giving a medication on my scene, I want them to have the same level of care (and responsibility) that I carry. I'm not going to explain why some EMT or EMT-I screwed up a medication dose based on my order. I'd rather draw up and give the medication. If there's a problem, it falls on me and noone else. There's very few calls (if any) that I can recall being on that I would have found it greatly beneficial to have someone else handing me medications already drawn up.

So the question remains, explain why an EMT-I should be giving Narcan or other medications? And my additional question is where did this topic turn into a discussion of paramedic ego? If being able to explain logically why you feel the way you do about something is having an ego, then I'm happy to have mine. My opinion on the matter still stands.

Shane

NREMT-P

I feel sorry for you guys that you work in an area that is REGRESSIVE to furtherment of ems

here the 'basic' qualified ambo can give narcan, can give iv fluids, can give adrenaline im, can give midazolam in, phernergan in, phyntenal in.....i know that our guys are trained more than the ones in the states but if you give the emt of any level the body of knowledge then why not the skills.

all this bickering about this only goes to show to the uneducated (joe q public) that visit this site that we do not have a united stand on how patients are treated and that paramedics are somewhat medical 'gods' and that what they say goes......

stay safe