Female patients and all male crew

You're absolutely right, AK. It is a double standard. However, statistically, the odds are a woman will be the one making the claim. You want to talk about a double standard. I applied for a full-time fire dept job. I passed the written, agility, polygraph and interview. I was told, in a "matter-of-fact" way, by the black assistant chief that if I were black, I would have the job. The city was on a hire a minority kick. I think this is total BS. THIS IS NOT TO TURN INTO A RACIAL POST!!! I don't agree with anyone, except military, getting additional points or preference simply because of their skin or gender. We hear about Equal Opportunity Employers and that is total horse crap. I was told by a judge friend of mine that a court case would never stick and "reverse discrimination" doesn't exist. Granted, in theory it does, but not practically.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jake proved my point.

Its ok, funny, or not deemed as serious when the role is reversed.

26 year old female teacher and 14 year old male student...many guys said I wish that would have happened to me....

Reverse the gender and it suddenly becomes OMG, thats disgusting and I would kill the bastard.

I'm glad you noticed that AK. That was exactly the point I was making. 8)

Hi.... :roll: ahem....well....since I'm a female...I don't have to worry about the "female patient" angle. However, I've had a lot of male patients try to get me all freaky in the back of an ambulance. I've never gone along with it, of course, and besides, my partner is HUGE and always lets me handle things myself until I have to repeat myself about the 3rd time...then he makes himself very clear to the patient...LMFAO...

Of course, I would never try to seduce a patient... :roll: ewwww....

But, AK is right...there's a terrible double standard....One of my biggest pet peeves is the fact that females can bitch and complain about everything, but the guy is expected to fend for himself. Situations of sexual abuse, situations of physical abuse as well.... I won't tolerate a guy hitting me....but you'd also better believe that in a heated situation...I'll keep my hands off, as well. It's only fair...

xoxoxoxo :wink: Luv, 8

We have in our protocols that if we have a pshyc pt. at least one person of the same sex as the patient must be in the back of the ambulance, be it an EMT, Nurse, or Law Enforcement. Just covering our behinds. Our medical director is the one who put that in our protocols.

Idiocy and hypersensitivity.

This is worse than a double-standard. This is like a quadruple standard. What is the difference between a psych patient and any other female patient? Are you going to get a female witness for every female patient? What about all those unconscious and altered mental status females who aren't psych patients? And then where do you draw the line? Do you get a witness for all females, or just those under age 65 and under 100kg? And what makes the female "witness'" word any better than yours? It's worthless. And a huge percentage of the female medics I know are lesbians anyhow. And yes, there have been instances of complaints of inappropriate contact made against female medics. Plenty of docs I know don't even bother with the "female chaperone" policy in their practices anymore simply because it hasn't proven particularly valuable. A witness is a witness, regardless of gender. And a nervous patient is reassured by professional demeanour, regardless of gender.

The camera is certainly a good solution to this dilemma. Much better than any other suggestions I have seen. Other than the excellent suggestion of maintaining contact with your partner, the camera is about the only thing I would even bother with. Even with cameras and "witnesses," any public accusation is going to farq your reputation, so your effort is for nothing.

I visit a nurses' listserv, just to eavesdrop on what their issues are. The topic of males in nursing comes up very frequently. Most are fine with it, others say they'd refuse the male nurse if they were the patient. Males are not supposed to have a preference on the gender of their caregiver. If we do, we are then sexist. Females have options. It's been my experience in EMS that the female patient rarely has an issue with my gender (actually, I can't remember a single incident). Treat everyone with respect, and there should be few problems. I read a post on the nurses list the other day. In it a nurse was very troubled by something she witnessed in an ICU. A teenage male was unconscious, on a vent. This nurse's co-worker was caring for him. He was very well endowed, and the nurse called all her buds from other departments in the hospital to come take a good look. There was actual debate about what should be done, if anything. Many commented that if the genders were reversed, there'd have been a major response. They too, see the double standard. Some counseled the young nurse not to report it.

Granted, for our volunteer squad, we can't always be sure which emt's are going to show up. For the most part, everyone on the department knows, that if it is a female patient, at least one female emt in the back, if it is a male, one male emt in the back. Now, that isn't always able to happen, and we usually know everyone we transport, but we decided a few years ago, that this would be a safer way to alleviate problems.

You never know when someone will accuse you of something. People anymore are looking for a way to make a quick buck, and if they can sue you for it they will. I even had a firefighter accuse his wife of coming on to a patient in the back of the unit. She was doing her secondary assessment. I was in the back, at the same time, so I am sure nothing happened. Cover your own!!!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.