Female patients and all male crew

We had a psych transfer the other night of a 19 year old who was drunk and said that she wanted to kill herself. Well, her parents took her seriously and called the PD. We picked her up at one hospital's ER and took her to another. When we get there, the nurse asks if we had a female crew available. Well, we didn't and we had to transport her. Personally, I do not feel comfortable transporting a female psych patient of any age. All they have to do is make one comment about inappropriate behavior and you're screwed. Whether or not it is true. Fortunately, on this run, I was able to find a female ER tech I know and the nursing manager agreed to let her ride with us in the back as a witness. As a rule, when I transport female patients (psych or not), ALL of the lights in the medic are on as bright as they go.

Actually, there was a question in all of this. What do your departments/services do to prevent such incidents? I know of one service who has 2 cameras in all of their medics. One above the jump seat looking rearward and the other above the back doors looking forward. They are digitally recorded and the box is locked up in a compartment and the only ones with the keys are the chief officers. All of the DVD's are locked up in the chief's office. In case you're wondering, they have cleared all of this with their attorneys and there hasn't been any HIPAA violations.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lucky for me, my partner is a female. Therefore, this isn't a issue. I do see the need for camera's to protect ourselves should a accusation be filed though. As Buckeyedoc stated, if someone drops a dime on you, then it's their word against yours and it can be a costly and humiliating experience to prove your innocence. Innocent until proven guilty? Yeah, right.

Lucky for me, my partner is a female. Therefore, this isn't a issue. I do see the need for camera's to protect ourselves should a accusation be filed though. As Buckeyedoc stated, if someone drops a dime on you, then it's their word against yours and it can be a costly and humiliating experience to prove your innocence. Innocent until proven guilty? Yeah, right.

You said it, brother. What a wonderful (notice the sarcasm) justice system we have.

Unless we're told that the patient reacts to males (hypersexuality, for example), then they get what they get. If at any time the staff member thinks that a male attendent is bad (since I'm not on the insurance to drive), then I would have dispatch send another unit. Act professional and 999/1000 times there shouldn't be a problem. Just hope that someone else keeps getting that 1.

What about all female crews and its a male patient?

Tell me a female has never committed a sexual crime.

This kind of stuff aggravates me to no end. Its a double standard that needs to go away. You get what you get, geez you aren't shopping at Wal Mart for crying out loud. Act professional at all times and document, document, document. The only thing we used to do was radio in our starting and ending mileage (which is recorded and time stamped) and then tx accordingly.

Keep the lights on and stay in constant verbal and/or visual contact with your partner...

Jake proved my point.

Its ok, funny, or not deemed as serious when the role is reversed.

26 year old female teacher and 14 year old male student...many guys said I wish that would have happened to me....

Reverse the gender and it suddenly becomes OMG, thats disgusting and I would kill the bastard.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.