uniform

Unintentional impersonation can be accomplished even without a badge. ...... ....a man who appeared literally in my face, pleading that I not give him a parking ticket! ... Two other times I was threatened with violence as a result of this habit of public journaling.....

So what did you do to tell them different? Nothing? That's on you. I'm not saying you have to take a job as a school teacher but when someone is wrong, correct them.

If you aren't even in uniform on the job you have no reason to let Joe Public walk around thinking you are a meter maid. You tell the jerk worried about a ticket to get his face out of your space, that he's an idiot and to step off.

Threatened with violence? Call the cops. You don't have to be intimidated by some clueless punks. Maybe you need to take some lessons from Samuel L Jackson and let them know in no uncertain terms that you "aint the m*****f*****g Popo so get your m*****f*****g face away from me before I pop a cap in you like Tupac, B***h."

People sometimes mistake me for police too but I don't let them get away with calling me "officer". When getting my car inspected at a service station a cashier was trying to decide which keys to give me after my car was checked out. I was not in unifrom and not on duty. "Oh, that's right. You're the cop." she said. I looked at her all crazy and asked, "Who the h*** said I was a cop? It stupid s*** like that which gets people killed lady. Now give me my f****** keys."

Let them kow in no uncertain terms that you aren't the police and they are morons.

we have had shootings because they think we are cops.our unifirm consist of blue button up dress shirts and black bdu's with our black boots.very similar to our po;ice units.they wont open doors for us to come in.if they are high or drunk it gets bad because their train of thought is elsewhere.
If you have had shootings then insist on police clearing scenes in those areas in the future. There are neighborhoods around here the ambulance won't drive into until the deputies radio the all clear. For idiots like this it probably won't make any difference WHAT you wear, you will still be part of the system which means they see you as a target. The fact that you aren't armed and can't return fire makes you an even more attractive target.

They won't open doors for you? Easy. Go back to the rig, radio dispatch and notify them that you were unable to contact the caller and are back in service. Treat it as any other case where the patient is gone on arrival or refuses treatment. Remember, they called you. If they change their minds when you show up, screw them.

I wear the same type of uniform, blue button up shirt with silver badge, black slacks and black boots. As I said before, don't let some idiot misidentify you in public.

Example, I'm on my way to work and stop at the Subway sandwich shop for something to put in my lunchbox. The girls behind the counter making sandwiches are goofing and joking and one motions toward me and says "Girl, you better settle down before I have that policeman arrest you."

Now do I let that slide? Heck no. I set them straight.

"Who are you talking about? Me? Do you see anything saying POLICE on me? Do you see a gun or handcuffs on me? I'm not a cop and all I got on my belt are these shears. Now if you fall out back there I'll be happy to come around back there, use these to cut your clothes off and check for injuries. How's that sound?"

She gets the point and answers, "I'll pass."

"Good." I say, " Then put my potato chips in the bag and let me go before I'm late getting to work. Next time don't go assuming every uniform is police."

As I walk out I hear her friend kidding her, "Daaammmnn, girl. Fat boy said he was gonna get you neked if you pass out. You thought he was five oh. That will show you."

What's gonna happen? She gonna complain that you cussed her out or insulted her for being a retard? She thought you were a cop a minute ago.

Seriously people. I enjoy helping people that need help. But I will not abide by the average person making bone headed assumptions. It's your fault if you allow them to get away with it.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow !..Display that type of behavior in one of our service EMS uniforms, I would fire your Arse on the spot! Don't know which is worse; being a jerk to people or having someone making a mistake of what uniform you wear. Professionalism... ever hear of it ?.. Your right, people will definitely remember that your not a cop.. just an ambulance driver with an attitude !

Get over your self.. people make mistakes, yes it gets tiresome, but yelling or cursing out John Q. Public will definitely not increase their respect for our profession!

R/r 911

So what did you do to tell them different? Nothing? That's on you. I'm not saying you have to take a job as a school teacher but when someone is wrong, correct them.

Okay, I will: Each episode was over so quickly that there was no opportunity, nor need, to react. The fellow mistaking me for a traffic cop disappeared before I'd realized what had happened (as I wrote in my post). The threats were shouted as the shouters were in transit, therefore not my problem. Some hostility doesn't merit much of a response, except to say:

Thanks for your interest.

CSR, you have some serious issues. I don't even know where to start. I will say one thing though you are not representing yourself, your employer or the entire profession as a whole in a very good way if you are indeed acting like that.

Rid is right, they won't remember you as a cop just as the loud mouther ambulance driver with a serious attitude problem.

Talking about public perception here, not what I personally believe.

My personal beleif is that if you are really acting this way than you should not be representing this profession at all, be it driving, attending or in any other manner.

People, please stop calling me an ambulance driver. I have never driven an ambulance in my life. Fire trucks yes but never ambulances.

Thanks.

Aww..that explains it. Cops/ firefighters all the same .

Usually even Firefighters have more couth..

If you aren't even in uniform on the job you have no reason to let Joe Public walk around thinking you are a meter maid. You tell the jerk worried about a ticket to get his face out of your space, that he's an idiot and to step off.

Threatened with violence? Call the cops. You don't have to be intimidated by some clueless punks. Maybe you need to take some lessons from Samuel L Jackson and let them know in no uncertain terms that you "aint the m*****f*****g Popo so get your m*****f*****g face away from me before I pop a cap in you like Tupac, B***h."

People sometimes mistake me for police too but I don't let them get away with calling me "officer". When getting my car inspected at a service station a cashier was trying to decide which keys to give me after my car was checked out. I was not in unifrom and not on duty. "Oh, that's right. You're the cop." she said. I looked at her all crazy and asked, "Who the h*** said I was a cop? It stupid s*** like that which gets people killed lady. Now give me my f****** keys."

Let them kow in no uncertain terms that you aren't the police and they are morons.

If you have had shootings then insist on police clearing scenes in those areas in the future. There are neighborhoods around here the ambulance won't drive into until the deputies radio the all clear. For idiots like this it probably won't make any difference WHAT you wear, you will still be part of the system which means they see you as a target. The fact that you aren't armed and can't return fire makes you an even more attractive target.

They won't open doors for you? Easy. Go back to the rig, radio dispatch and notify them that you were unable to contact the caller and are back in service. Treat it as any other case where the patient is gone on arrival or refuses treatment. Remember, they called you. If they change their minds when you show up, screw them.

I wear the same type of uniform, blue button up shirt with silver badge, black slacks and black boots. As I said before, don't let some idiot misidentify you in public.

Example, I'm on my way to work and stop at the Subway sandwich shop for something to put in my lunchbox. The girls behind the counter making sandwiches are goofing and joking and one motions toward me and says "Girl, you better settle down before I have that policeman arrest you."

Now do I let that slide? Heck no. I set them straight.

"Who are you talking about? Me? Do you see anything saying POLICE on me? Do you see a gun or handcuffs on me? I'm not a cop and all I got on my belt are these shears. Now if you fall out back there I'll be happy to come around back there, use these to cut your clothes off and check for injuries. How's that sound?"

She gets the point and answers, "I'll pass."

"Good." I say, " Then put my potato chips in the bag and let me go before I'm late getting to work. Next time don't go assuming every uniform is police."

As I walk out I hear her friend kidding her, "Daaammmnn, girl. Fat boy said he was gonna get you neked if you pass out. You thought he was five oh. That will show you."

What's gonna happen? She gonna complain that you cussed her out or insulted her for being a retard? She thought you were a cop a minute ago.

Seriously people. I enjoy helping people that need help. But I will not abide by the average person making bone headed assumptions. It's your fault if you allow them to get away with it.

Missed this one. Probibly better, im too tired to yell at you like you deserve.

I dont care what uniform you wear. Your an embarassment to it. Period.

PRPG

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.