Bragging

Ok I'm a little bit nervous about my course. They all seem to be good and knowledgable, but of course I don't know anything. My question is I have heard of alot of places braging about their scores and all that but were a bit shady on how they reported them.

The guys I'm learning under brag they have an 89% pass rate on the Written and 100% on practicals. It's something that is brought up fairly often and I know when your good it's nice to brag about it, but I'm afraid it's more of a who can be best contest than turning out good emts contest. The guys I'm currently learning with are life-savers.org if anyone has heard of em.

Like I said though, they seem knowledgable =/

Old saying........."those that can, do. Those that can't teach.."

To be constantly reminding everyone ..."our tests scores are...." is a little frightening

are they trying to justify there shortcomings?

It is good to know that the school that you have chosen is a good one with good results, but to keep 'bragging' about it seems a little concerning.

Here in NSW we have only one place that you can get trained in being a paramedic (well two actually, but only one will get you recognised for the position) and thay have 100% pass in both theory and practical, otherwise you are not employed by the service.

If you then fail a recertification process, you then get one more chance before being put on a CAPS program. If you fail the CAPS program, then you need to look for another job.

If you fail your first school and then the post exams (theory and practical) then there is NO job for you.

But you don't here the service bragging how their results are standing up.

Food for thought........

stay safe

If you take an honest look at the curriculum, you will quickly find that it doesn't take much to turn out basic level providers. Most places the requirement is in the neighborhood of 100 hours. Usually, less than a full college semester. Heck, some even advertise, "In two weeks, we can make you an EMT!"

The next time these doorknobs bring up their pass rate, ask them how many of their students are still working EMS, and not for a fire department that will cover their mistakes with the fertilizer.

A physics teacher once talked to our class about tests scores and actually made me aware of something I never new. Teaching theory is that if you chart the test score percentages, the greatest number of scores should be around 75%. Less than that and you either made the test too hard or did not teach the material well enough, greater than that and you made the test too easy. When someone pointed out a teacher probably should try to be working to ensure everyone gets an A, he pointed out we live in reality. Something you might want to bring up to your teachers.

Old saying........."those that can, do. Those that can't teach.."

OMG... my Dad used to say that ALL THE TIME... right before I became an Instructor... turns out that he was wrong too!... I know... shocker :shock: The problem with generalized statements like that is they likely work for 10-20% of the "population" of that career... just remember... as in all fields you have the good and the bad.

Ok, back to the question at hand... the easiest way to find out if the numbers "jive" is to contact the NREMT (if you're in a National Registry State)... they can give you that info. You're state EMS office can give it to you as well. What I have found in the past with Instructors who like to boast, is that either 1.) They have had problems with their classes and feel the need to "quantify" their abilities or 2.) someone has challenged their ability. Either way, learn the most that you can while in class... and try to become part of the 89% !

OMG... my Dad used to say that ALL THE TIME... right before I became an Instructor... turns out that he was wrong too!... I know... shocker :shock: The problem with generalized statements like that is they likely work for 10-20% of the "population" of that career... just remember... as in all fields you have the good and the bad.

I am pretty sure that it was written by oscar wilde.

it was said 'tongue in cheek'

if you see what my bio is in my posts you will see that i am also an instructor and assesor for the service here ( with a staffing level of 2500 officers) in the times that i am not working the road.

My wife is an educator in the nsw education department and has been for over 20 years, so i do know a little about the 'teaching profession'

have you ever thought that your daddy might have been right?..........lol

stay safe

It's definitely credited to Wilde.... sorry.. didn't look at your profile before I took offense.

My Dad is right about a LOT of things.... (please don't tell him that I admitted that), but my Aunts and Uncles now tell me how proud he is of my accomplishments (My old man isn't big into sentimentality, so I don't hear the Kudo's first hand)... anyway, thanks for the clarification from one educator to another.

:)

The funny thing about education & instructors (notice I did not call them educators.. there really is a difference) is anyone knows one make the test whatever difficulty they like it to be. I can write one .. most could never pass or write one where no one would fail... all over the same subject(s). It has to do with test writing capabilities, presentation of material(s), need to know of in-depth's, etc...

What is the difference between Harvard Medical School and all others?.. they use the same literature, probably the same texts, etc.. it is the requirements & demands they place the students.. more in-depth, extra material, and research.

When evaluating schools, look at their track record of passing first time on boards and licenses. Look at the students ability to be employed immediately afterwards, and the history of the instructors. An instructor should have the minimum of at least 5-10 clinical years at the level they are teaching at. Evaluate clinical settings, mannequin situations are fine for classroom, but poor clinical sites and areas, should not be tolerated. Any institution not requiring O.R. intubations on live patients, ICU areas where exposure of chest tubes, arterial lines, arrhythmia therapy, as well as neonate and pediatrics ER settings has failed to demonstrate the needed clinical objectives. Short & simple... if your program does not have these you are getting short changed...

It is your money & time more important it is your career choice..! Make a wise decision...

R/r 911

So based on what you said, my instructer who has been in it since the late 70's and writes his tests (confirmed with students who are renewing) that are designed to be harder than the NR would be a good thing then. Your right, it is my money (450 I think, not sure if thats a good choice or what) and I want to make sure I'll have placement, which apparently is pretty good with this institution.

good to hear :)