Can certified EMT_basics land a job with no degree?

Hello, my name is Scott and I'm new to the board. I'm very interested in a carrer as a EMT and I start my training this May in Ann Arbor, MI. I've been bouncing in and out of community college for a few years now, and I've yet to obtain a degree. Once I become certified by the state for basic EMT, will not having a degree from school hurt my chances in landing a basic EMT postion?

I would really love some feedback on this.

Scotty 8)

The EMTB's I hung out with at the ambulance bay while the medics wrote their reports said they didn't have theirs and didn't make it sound like it was necessary. This was in Santa Clara, Calif for AMR.

Once I become certified by the state for basic EMT, will not having a degree from school hurt my chances in landing a basic EMT postion?

No. I do know of some agencies that require a certain number of college credits to be eligible for employment (usually 30), but they are either fire departments or municipal EMS agencies, not ambulance companies. Sounds like you probably have that covered though.

EMT basic is not rocket surgery. It's just first aid. Any idiot can do it. Your college background will definitely be an asset to you, as it enhances your abilities to learn in a structured environment. Many students don't have that experience, and they have to work harder at it than you will. But the knowledge you both take away will be about the same. But don't even think of going to a paramedic school that doesn't complete with a degree.

Good luck, and welcome aboard!

They have a degree for Basic EMT training? No offense, but if you're going to college for EMS training, why not take the next step to become a Paramedic? I've never heard of a degree for basic. Intermediate, critical care, and medic I've seen, but this is news to me. Maybe I'm just old? I remember the first EMT classes were only 64 hours long, I can't believe a 120-160 hour class would equate to a college course.

You'd think that would lead to a drop in interest, that is, if it became a requirement... I didn't even go to college for my Paramedic certification, it was a four month program at a hospital.

They have a degree for Basic EMT training? No offense, but if you're going to college for EMS training, why not take the next step to become a Paramedic? I've never heard of a degree for basic. Intermediate, critical care, and medic I've seen, but this is news to me. Maybe I'm just old? I remember the first EMT classes were only 64 hours long, I can't believe a 120-160 hour class would equate to a college course.

You'd think that would lead to a drop in interest, that is, if it became a requirement... I didn't even go to college for my Paramedic certification, it was a four month program at a hospital.

I read it as he wondered if a college degree, as a seperate program from his basic curriculum would assist him in his travels as an EMT. College degrees certainly help...dont think he meant a basic college level program...

,......even though Basic program should be a college level program...but thats for another thread, and a dozen past ones,.....

Basic EMT might be "monky work" but it beats being 24 years old and working in the restaurant business

Not really. Tonnes more job prospects for in the restaurant business. Better pay in the restaurant business. Better working conditions in the restaurant business. Better hours in the restaurant business. And significantly more chance for advancement in the restaurant business. I don't see a single advantage to being an EMT over a restaurant worker except for the uniform.

I STRONGLY encourage you to do some serious and extensive job market research before you waste any time or money on this thing. I think you are likely to find that the prospects are not nearly what you think they are.