Can certified EMT_basics land a job with no degree?

The restaurtant business is conjested with alocholics and drug addicts and I'm trying to stir away from that crowd and do something meaningful. The money doesn't mean anything for now...I'm young, single and can could support myself as a basis EMT for now.

The restaurtant business is conjested with alocholics and drug addicts and I'm trying to stir away from that crowd and do something meaningful. The money doesn't mean anything for now...I'm young, single and can could support myself as a basis EMT for now.

LMAO .."congested with alcoholics and drug addicts" and EMS is not ?... that is too funny!!! Either your working with some or taking care of them.. or both..glad money doesn't mean anything.. that's good . it will later....

Good luck !

R/R 911

The money doesn't mean anything for now...I'm young, single and can could support myself as a basis EMT for now.

That's cool, but you won't be that way forever. Again, I STRONGLY URGE YOU to do an extensive job analysis specifically for the area you think you're going to work in. A GREAT many guys finish EMT school only to find out that there are NO jobs available to them whatsoever. You may be able to support yourself on EMT wages, but you have to get an EMT job first! That isn't as easy as it sounds. And remember, the great majority of those EMT basic jobs aren't even in EMS. They're just ambulance driver jobs that pay barely anything.

Don't kid yourself and think you know anything from watching tv or looking at want ads. Get on the phone and do a serious market analysis before you blow a grand on a stupid piece of paper that won't get you a job.

And good luck!

It cannot hurt to have a degree.

If the job selection is between you and another person and all things equal except that one of you has a degree and the other doesn't then the one with the degree is going to get the job.

As for supporting yourself on EMT basic salary or wages, I'd bet not. With many of the EMT jobs out there paying 6-10 bucks per hour that doesn't pay much. Let's look at the math

8 bucks and hour(just picked this number) at 48 hours per week gives you 18K per year. Now take 30 percent for taxes (not sure if this number is right but lets assume so) you get 13000 per year take home pay

Rent 400 per month = 4800

Utilities 200 = 2400

Gas/food and such 300 per month = 3600

Other items not mentioned or thought of = 500-1000

Total 11800

You now have 1200 left to spend.

Not much and that's per year or 100 per month

NOW if you live with your parents or what not then all the above is a moot point.

Eight to ten dollars an hour for a basic is being very generous too. The market is flooded with basics in most areas. They don't have to pay $8 an hour to keep the roster full. In fact, they don't have to pay anything. Look at all the wankers who work for free!

And so is $400 dollars a month in rent. I wouldn't want to live in that apartment! :shock:

Seriously, dude, we're not pulling your leg here. You better do some serious math, as well as some serious soul searching for your motivations, before you take this plunge. Chances are you not only won't find a suitable job with that patch, but you will also outgrow the whole obsession within five years.

But again, good luck!