blood glucose question

LONGSSTUGA

can anyone tell me if Bs can take blood sugars in Illinois the ambulance co i am riding with says that i can and my mother and law who is also a B says that we cant i am sorely confused thanks all, o by the way is there a good website that i can go to to get a straight answer on questions about Illinois EMS system thanks

Sincerly yours,

Joe

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you looked at your local protocols? What does it say?

Have you talked to your supervisor? What does s/he say?

Have you called your regional/State EMS office? What does your contact there have to say?

There are many places where you can find the answer to your question. Many of them are more authoritative than an anonymous response on an internet forum.

While there is a lot of info here from some very smart people, there are things that you should do before asking a question.

Do your research (have you met my friend www.google.com yet?). Then ask about things you don't understand. It'll help you more in the long run.

-be safe.

I agree, I think I will mention that to my Instructor. I can not believe that in this day and age people have not found Google to be the most useful tool in the galaxy oh wait I am not sure the Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy has that listed but iot far out weighs what I will tell someone who does not use google... Go have a Pan Galatic Gargle Blaster!!!!

Now I will tell you that Google will have the answer to the Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster if you don't happen to have a copy of the Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy!!!

Yikes. I think at the top of ALL FORUMS it should say did you google first?!?!?!?

Myrna-

Just FYI--In the Illinois EMS system, EMT-B's ARE allowed to check the blood sugar levels of individuals. However, it would be smart to check with someone in your EMS system as to what you are allowed to do in your protocols. Just because it is allowed in the state, it may not be allowed in your system. For example, I have heard of local systems here in Illinois not allowing EMT-B's to do procedures such as albuterol treatments or give oral glucose. They are only allowed to pretty much just load and go. While others such as the one I'm in have a much freer time of things. I hope this helped.

If someone needs to come to an internet discussion board to find out about what they can do according to their own protocols then I worry that maybe, just maybe, that person should seriously not be an EMT.

Good God... even if you got an answer to a question like that here are you seriously going to trust what a complete stranger says on the internet about your protocols???

Let's just suppose, hypothetically speaking, that you couldn't do finger sticks and someone here told you that you could. When questioned in court and you say "well the guy on the internet said I could do it" what do you think is going to happen?? I still can't believe that someone could be so lazy and/or dumb to look at their own damn protocols!

Let's just suppose, hypothetically speaking, that you couldn't do finger sticks and someone here told you that you could. When questioned in court and you say "well the guy on the internet said I could do it" what do you think is going to happen?? I still can't believe that someone could be so lazy and/or dumb to look at their own damn protocols!

xselerate,

Wow, is there really any need to slam someone like that!!! Good to know that your prefect. Comments like this only turn new people away from asking good questions on the forum. Lighten up!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.