blood glucose question

LONGSSTUGA

It is my understanding that you are not working EMS yet, since your occupation is listed as unemployed. So calm down Xselerate

It doesn't matter if he is or isn't yet, he will be if that's what he wants to do. And it may be easy for you to calm down... I'm not sure of what your views are on the image of EMS as professionals but it is an issue important to me and if I can help it I will. I don't think I'm advocating anything that many others would disagree with.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It doesn't matter if he is or isn't yet, he will be if that's what he wants to do. And it may be easy for you to calm down... I'm not sure of what your views are on the image of EMS as professionals but it is an issue important to me and if I can help it I will. I don't think I'm advocating anything that many others would disagree with.

If it doesn't matter if he is, or isn't working then your previous points would not apply,would they? Non working emts dont have a medical director or protocols.

If you can help what you will? EMS? How does jumping on some guy online help ems? It doesn't, that's right. And get off my back too while you're at it. sheesh.

Just remember... you don't see police officers that don't know when to arrest people... you don't see fire fighters that don't know how to fight fire... we're professionals and, unfortunately, we sometimes have to prove it to the communities we serve.

I couldn't disagree with this statement more. I agree with your ideals, but if you think that PD an FD are completely educated/professional/competant, then I have some real-estate in New Orleans to sell to ya'. Maybe everyone in NY is top-notch, don't know, never worked there, but I have seen some major bafoonery on the Fire and Police departments where I live and work. PD and FD have better marketing machines, that's all. They have all the same problems we do, just a bigger budget to hide them.

Our new friend is just that.... new. Allow him to grow, learn and understand. We all have come into our situations under a variety of circumstances. I hazard a guess that your view of EMS, and your subsequent knowledge of EMS, has changed dramatically since you were new.... you just didn't have an open forum to announce your FNG status. :)

I couldn't disagree with this statement more. I agree with your ideals, but if you think that PD an FD are completely educated/professional/competant, then I have some real-estate in New Orleans to sell to ya'.

okay, perhaps i was not completely clear...

we're professionals and, unfortunately, we sometimes have to prove it to the communities we serve.

i have seen cops and firefighters get more respect then ems.... just look at the benefits they get that ems doesn't, at least in NY. i'm sorry but cops and firefighters, regardless of their abilities, do get looked upon as more professional then us. and if you don't believe that... well perhaps you would be interested in a bridge in brooklyn that i have for sale.

If it doesn't matter if he is, or isn't working then your previous points would not apply,would they? Non working emts dont have a medical director or protocols.

my previous points were general and meant for anyone interested. if you have a legitimate problem with any i would be happy to discuss them, that's the whole point of this. and he will start working. furthermore i went on to explain why i reacted so harshly and that i wasn't specifically attacking him but rather the image he portrayed for ems. i even went on to offer friendly advice and wish him luck so how am i attacking him?

i try not to get into heated debates but this happens to be an issue very close to my heart. i just want us all to look professional so that we will be treated as such. please understand that i don't want to jump on anyone.

i have seen cops and firefighters get more respect then ems.... just look at the benefits they get that ems doesn't, at least in NY. i'm sorry but cops and firefighters, regardless of their abilities, do get looked upon as more professional then us. and if you don't believe that... well perhaps you would be interested in a bridge in brooklyn that i have for sale.

I will capitulate with our perceptive difference and accept your explanation, but with one caveat... I agree that police and fire get the respect of the public and so appear to be more professional in the lay-persons eyes, but looks can be deceiving. They absolutely get more respect than us, but I don't believe that that is necessarily a function of rampant unprofessionalism on our part. I believe there to be many contributory factors... in fact I believe that there has been some extensive threads on this very subject in by-gone era's (ie. 2 months ago).

On a lighter note.... despite our partial agreement.... how much for the bridge? :)

Just remember... you don't see police officers that don't know when to arrest people... you don't see fire fighters that don't know how to fight fire... we're professionals and, unfortunately, we sometimes have to prove it to the communities we serve.

I saw one, he thought arresting a paramedic while on duty who didn't do anything was okay. :shock:

If the company you work for has protocols that allow you to do glucose tests, then you can. Your mother-in-law may work for a company that doesn't allow it or may not work as an EMT at all. I am guessing that she corrects you alot. Better find a job and get out of there ASAP. Some people have a tendency to put other peole down and keep them there. Congrats on the baby.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.