EMS related careers in the military

06weasel

I was just wondering what EMS related careers are in the military. I have a few years to decide (I'm getting a bachelor's) but I just wanted to start figuring out where I might be going. I know a lot of people in this forum were in the military or are in the military so I figured it'd be a good place to ask.

So here are the options I had thought of:

USAF:

Pararescue (I'd have to have my vision corrected, and spend the next 4 years training probably. Even then my chances at that are iffy)

USN:

Corpsman

US Army:

SF 18D (I think I got it right...and same as Pararescue I'd probably have to train a lot and maybe get my vision corrected)

Field medic? (I haven't found any specific literature on this sort of thing, so any info would be appreciated)

And of course, is it a good idea to go into those sort of things?

Any input would be appreciated, thanks!

Chances of 18D in Army are slim. Few even get selected for Special Forces, even fewer can complete 18D. You are almost PA level. The army medic is 91W, soon to be 68W. First part of course gets you ready to pass NREMT-B. The rest goes into more advanced tings, IVs and hospital work.

I don't know enough to comment on the others.

Sarge

Thanks for the info on 18D, that's kinda what I figured. I'm not sure what level of training I'll come out of college with (it depends on how much medical training CU will give me credit for) so the being a P.A. thing isn't a concern, but yeah I probably wouldn't make it into SF.

And if you know offhand, do you think it would help me to get NREMT-B beforehand (already have EMT-B for my state)?

Thanks again for the input.

I hope you mean a career in EMS, like on a military base. I don't think I could have been an army medic for life.

I served a 24 month tour in Vietnam as a Combat Medic...

I wouldn't want to do that anymore than necessary. It was great, to gain so much knowledge, but it was war. I don't remember much of it, either because of how horrible it was or that I simply chose not to carry it on. I've gone to air plane crashes as a civilian paramedic, people dismembered, burned, ripped to hundred of pieces, blown up. That's what I compare war to, when people ask, it was like an airplane crashing ever day, for two years straight.

I hope you mean a career in EMS, like on a military base. I don't think I could have been an army medic for life.

I served a 24 month tour in Vietnam as a Combat Medic...

Much respect on being a vet, God bless.

I wouldn't want to do that anymore than necessary. It was great, to gain so much knowledge, but it was war. I don't remember much of it, either because of how horrible it was or that I simply chose not to carry it on. I've gone to air plane crashes as a civilian paramedic, people dismembered, burned, ripped to hundred of pieces, blown up. That's what I compare war to, when people ask, it was like an airplane crashing ever day, for two years straight.

It's probably not a career I'd do for life, I'm thinking somewhere around 1-3 years. That's why I'm getting a bachelor's first, so I have something I can do when I get out.

I probably won't fully comprehend the fact that war is truly awful until I'm in it. I just have a thought that war is awful but it's really awful if you're a soldier out there hurt and you don't have a medic to get good help to you.

Anyway thanks for an experienced opinion

The Navy seems to have a pretty good medic/corpman program. I have a buddy who did 6 years as a corpsman. Never spent a day on ships. He was always assigned to navy bases stateside. He got lots of good training and certifications while in the Navy.

After getting his discharge, he moved to Mississippi and challanged the RN license exam. Passed it with no problem. He's now working full time as an RN in a hospital outside of New Orleans. He works part time at a hospital in Baton Rouge also.

Six years in the Navy paid off well for him.

I think you need to talk to a recruiter if you are seriously planning on entering the military. If you wait till you have completed the bachelors program, why would you want to be a medic? You will be commissioned as an officer in any branch you choose. Why would you want to have an enlisted man's position as an officer? If you are serious about the military and medicine, take advantage of whatever they will give you. Think about delayed entry, let them pay for PA training or even medical school if that interests you. I am sorry but I just can't see you getting a 4 yr degree and then convincing them to let you be a medic as an officer. As far as SF and the 18Ds, they are a great group of guys and it is very competitive. I train with these guys on a regular basis. I also work very closely with the Navy IDC's. If you want to know which one will probably give you the best all around experience and education, then I would recommend being a Navy IDC. I also recommend that you go to www.military.com It is a great site that will list all the different options with the different branches, might give you some i valuable insight.

As for your intentions and wanting to help out the guys, you seem to be very noble. But know this, although war is hell and a lot of guys are dying over here..there are plenty of good medics already here. From the way you made that one statement, you made it sound as if there are no readily available medics or good quality care. There are plenty of both. I am one of them and I provide as such. We have so many groups working together, it is truly amazing experience. The military has excellent equipment and is very up to date on skills and treatments.

Stay in school, don't lose focus and see how much changes in the next 4 years while you are obtaining your degree. Then make some informed decisions at that time.

You'll have your bachelors so you'll go in as a commissioned officer. If you're interested in medicine then look into the pararescueman from the USAF. Talk to a recruiter for all the details. It's a hard course though. I looked into it but I can't do it because I'm a girl :roll:

Good Luck

I may be partial to this because I have so experience with USAF but if you want to be the best of the best go Pararescue. Those guys are... insane.... brave.... smart.... insane.... tough as nails.... insane lol

The training is, I believe, 2 years long. And physically (at least the first part where they try to weed out most) it is insanely intense. Medically you will be brought up to paramedic.... and at the end where will you learn how to be a war time tactical rescue medic? You get sent to train with the NYC FDNY working as an observer on ambulances treating GSWs and such. Oh man.... if I really wanted to perform field surgury hanging upside down thousands of feet up a sheer clif I totally would have done Pararescue.

GOOD LUCK!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.