EMS related careers in the military

06weasel

Just wanted to clarify one thing that has been said. Just because you have a degree does not mean you have to go in as an officer. It is one thing that qualifies you for to try to become an officer. I had a BS in History and a BS in Political Science when I enlisted and I to this date am not an officer. I have known enlisted Soldiers with Law degrees, Masters, doctoral level degrees from places like Oxford and Harvard. It is all about what you want to do.

I am recommending that route, no. I just want you to know you could be a doctor and enter as a enlisted Soldier.

Just wanted to clarify one thing that has been said. Just because you have a degree does not mean you have to go in as an officer.

Sarge beat me to it. A degree is simply one of the qualifications for officer training, just like. It is not a determining factor. In fact, I was selected for OTS five years before I completed my degree. So, you don't have to be an officer simply because you have a degree. And you don't absolutely have to have a degree to be an officer.

Air Force Pararescue is the only military medical job for officers who are not doctors or nurses. So, if you want to be an officer, then that is pretty much your only choice. However, the odds of any one person getting into Pararescue as an officer are phenomenally low. And just being a tough guy isn't enough. Anyhow, medically speaking, PJ's go to the same school that 18D's go to now.

Deciding whether or not you want to be an officer or enlisted is like deciding if you want to be a field paramedic or the manager of an ambulance company. There is no comparison. Either you want to actually work on patients, or you want to do paperwork and yell at people. Sounds to me like you are looking to actually work for a living, so enlisted would be the way to go. But if you think you're just going to do it for one to three years, you're delusional. Four years is the commitment. If you get out in less, people will look at you like there is something wrong with you for the rest of your life. And if you are going to do something, put everything you have in it. I wouldn't want you doing EMS for a year or two just for the fun of it anymore than I would want you wasting my tax dollars by playing soldier for only a year or two. Get serious. Make a career choice and go with it. Neither EMS nor the military need tourists.

If you go enlisted, then it is generally accepted that the Navy turns out the best entry level medics (corpsmen). Even the Army and AF guys know that. If you look at making it a career, the Army probably has the best long term options for medics. Unlike the Air Force, the Army's flight medics actually fly. And the Army will take non-Special Forces senior NCO medics and send them to 18D school, if they're lucky.

But yeah, Robert is right. These are unstable times. No longer can you just join up for a couple years of free training and expect to not have to earn your money the hard way. There is a reason they are training you to care for trauma. Think about it.

Wow thank you all so much for your responses, I'll address all that I can:

CSR: thanks for the info on Corpsman

akflightmedic: I probably wouldn't be entering as an officer despite the bachelor's program. Thanks for the Navy suggestion that I didn't know about. I am in no way insinuating that there is a lack of skilled people in the field, rather contrary. Armed forces medical personnel have always struck me as some of the most skilled, calm, cool, respectable people around. I'd really love to learn from and with those people. It's definitely a lot of consideration to do for the next 4 years, but I want to check out my options now so I know what I might be getting into.

Xiaomei and xselerate: Yeah I saw the Pararescue option and it looked really good. I'd have to get my vision corrected but I'd definitely train for the next 4 years to get ready for it. It sounds amazing.

akflightmedic: Thanks for the links, seems like some good workout plans

SSG G-man: Thanks, yeah probably wouldn't be an officer. I'm not looking to make a lifetime career in the military.

Dustdevil: In terms of medical I think Pararescue's maintain NREMT-I or NREMT-P. However yeah that's something I'd probably do until I couldn't anymore. Not actually looking for the free training or anything, by 2-3 years I meant 2-3 actually in active duty. Although I would assume you're right, I should probably reconsider to think in terms of longer. I guess I just never thought of myself as a lifer. EMS I plan to be in as long as I'm around, just maybe not in the military. Given me something I need to think about, thanks.

Thanks for the input everyone, it's really appreciated.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.