Young people in EMS and evidence against it

Asysin2leads

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh please, don't get me started with Jimmy Carter.. what an a*shole, and fake. Sorry, I had dinner with him as a young Democrat representative. After meeting him personally, and reviewing his polices and his FAKENESS it is then I changed parties and seen the light !

Such as the charade of carrying his own clothes on Air Force 1, when his garment bag was empty!... What a joke.. sorry, I remember the hostages and his poor dealings of it as well as gas rationing !... give me a break.. I don't have to read about it I was alive and dealt with it !

He is still a disgrace by turning a funeral into political platform, sorry Jimmy the people spoke LOUD & CLEAR when you were voted out !!! Get a hint ! .. go back to Plains and get a hammer .. you serve the nation better that way!

R/R 911

Okay, I this holds the record for thread detours, but gotta throw my $.02 in here.

Working in one of perhaps the most diverse work forces in the United States gives me an interesting perspective on race.

I think it is far to oversimplified to state that the South is more racist than the North. Quite frankly, my feeling is the South is simply more blatant and open about it. Sure, the South is home to Bob Jones University (shudder), and segregated proms in the 21st century, and some good ol' boys like the charming men in Jasper County, Texas, who dragged a man to death because he was black.

But the North, for all its intellectual posturing, is not without its faults. Just look at the dispatch grid for NYC. Division 1, The area encompassing everything below around 110th street, is almost saturated with EMS units, and is an area that is predominately white and aflfuent. Division 2 encompasses Harlem and the Bronx, and trust me the differences in the EMS response between the two is night and day. I use to get a chuckle when I was at my old college in Vermont, hearing the liberal students denouncing racism right and left, yet they were all from Massachusettes and Connecticut, and my college itself was something like 92% white.

Its easy to pick on the beer swilling redneck who goes on and on with his opinions about minorites, they're and easy target. Less easy to spot are the people who may champion civil rights, yet hire illegal immigrants for less than minimum wage, or denounce racist acts, yet belong to a country club that has some interesting unspoken rules about who they do and don't admit. To risk using a really bad pun, the issue of race is never black and white.

Oh please, don't get me started with Jimmy Carter.. what an a*shole, and fake. Sorry, I had dinner with him as a young Democrat representative. After meeting him personally, and reviewing his polices and his FAKENESS it is then I changed parties and seen the light !

Such as the charade of carrying his own clothes on Air Force 1, when his garment bag was empty!... What a joke.. sorry, I remember the hostages and his poor dealings of it as well as gas rationing !... give me a break.. I don't have to read about it I was alive and dealt with it !

He is still a disgrace by turning a funeral into political platform, sorry Jimmy the people spoke LOUD & CLEAR when you were voted out !!! Get a hint ! .. go back to Plains and get a hammer .. you serve the nation better that way!

R/R 911

Interesting perspective. Unfortunately, I wasn't alive yet to experience it. All I have to go by is what I read in history books and remember my parents saying. What school did you attend when you met him?

The point of the "original" conversation revolved around the exploits of a young, inexperienced girl trying to make it in EMS. My initial comments were to deter the community here from finding it necessary to debate over something so trivial as the actions of an 18 year old girl, that for many of them, is hundreds of miles away. Why concern ourselves here, a place where progress is trying to be made, with something so stupid?

Hey again, UMTSTUDENT --

To respond to your question here, I for one have found the discussion about heroics informative and useful. To hear veteran ems providers chime in on the various aspects of a) evidence for potential misrepresentation by a contributor to boards like this one teaches me from their articulated detailed BS-detector readings; :D whether the episode related was fiction or fact, having the hazards of acting on impulse, even compassionate impulse, vividly portrayed has made a lasting impression; it might actually save my own life next time I'm out and am tempted to rush into danger. So please don't underestimate how useful it can be for someone else to read a post that, to your credit, you find elementary or obvious.

Hey again, UMTSTUDENT --

To respond to your question here, I for one have found the discussion about heroics informative and useful. To hear veteran ems providers chime in on the various aspects of a) evidence for potential misrepresentation by a contributor to boards like this one teaches me from their articulated detailed BS-detector readings; :D whether the episode related was fiction or fact, having the hazards of acting on impulse, even compassionate impulse, vividly portrayed has made a lasting impression; it might actually save my own life next time I'm out and am tempted to rush into danger. So please don't underestimate how useful it can be for someone else to read a post that, to your credit, you find elementary or obvious.

I stand corrected, and absolutely feel that it is "elementary or obvious." Someone running into a burning building without proper PPE or SCBA is just stupid. Those principals are taught to every public service provider from day one.

On a much better note, I'm glad you like it here :lol:

Dust,your ignorance speaks for itself. The burning churches in Alabama, while they have affected both races almost equally, show that the problem still exist.

Speaking of ignorance! First of all, almost ALL of the churches have been predominantly white attended churches. And second of all, even if they were affected equally (which they were not) how would that show a racist problem? Dude? Don't they teach statistics at UM? :roll:

If you don't believe that America still has a problem with race then you're not living in reality, let alone the proper century.

Irrelevant. I was not talking about racism. I was talking about King. You're obviously the one who keeps trying to "divert" the conversation.

You've failed to back-up your claims.

You've failed to make me care.

You've just slung around a bunch of wild claims. The only person supporting you is yourself. You call me a bigot, but you've failed to show me why racism doesn't exist. The burden of proof doesn't lie with me, but on the person whom diverts an entire conversation to answer a rhetorical statement with an obviously gaudy, controversial remark.

And we can see from your reply to Michael that to do so would be pointless since you will obviously dismiss it as irrelevant to his greatness.

All so you can find out if some "chick is hott?"

This chick is relevant to the discussion. Some dead dude from 40 years ago is not. You hijacked the topic for some bizarre personal agenda.

We all know you're a smartass, but I'm wondering why every conversation has to be subjected to it. I agree with a lot of what you say, but not necessarily everything. Your sarcasm and witty remarks have a place, but not in regards to a subject so sensitive as race.

You brought up race. Not me.

Regardless of whatever indiscretions Martin Luther King made in his life, he is revered by a generation of Americans as a hero of civil rights. His life and death profoundly affected our nation and the future of millions upon millions of black Americans. While you were at it, you took a stab at Jimmy Carter, another great American.

I don't give a rat's ass. And if you think Carter is a great American, you obviously weren't alive from from 1976 to 1980. He was my Commander in Chief during that period, so I know what a useless waste of human DNA he was.

The point of the "original" conversation revolved around the exploits of a young, inexperienced girl trying to make it in EMS. My initial comments were to deter the community here from finding it necessary to debate over something so trivial as the actions of an 18 year old girl, that for many of them, is hundreds of miles away. Why concern ourselves here, a place where progress is trying to be made, with something so stupid?

Who are you to decide what people can concern themselves with here? At least they were concerned with something that had a basis in EMS. There is no good reason for you to turn it into a pointless debate on the greatness of a couple of losers.

I just read parts of this topic (mainly the first parts)...

AHHHHH! What is wrong with people my age! AHHHH! I need my chaos shield. This is a bunch of shit. I can't belive young people (well hell, my age) have to f*&% everything up for the rest of us.

If only the world would have a "stupid people filter", we'd be all set. :roll:

This is so unbelieveable... Let's beat the dead horse with the stick again! Just keep on beating! We all have figured out that the best place for us "youngins" isn't in EMS. I KNOW that! I went against it, and you know what? I shouldn't have. Look at me, I'm a freaking nut case. Use me as an example... NO person... let me say one more time... NO person my age should be a paramedic! Maybe an EMT, yeah, but heck, a PARAMEDIC? Dear God... even an EMT sometimes... I have a senior EMT on calls at my volly station, but geeez, still, I wonder if I was a little early for starting this stuff.

People my age come from the generation of "no respect". I know people my age are the most disrespectful people to the older EMS crowd... but anyway... Some of us do respect your opinions on "kids" being in EMS, even though we are here.

That was a pointless rant, but heck, its late for me, and this topic bothers the h-e-double hockey sticks out of me because we all know that the older people are right when they say we shouldn't be here. *claps hands for "seniors". Did any of that even make sense?

Grace

Good points Micheal. Apparently there are many newbies that read and take some these forums very seriously. I know of students that does clinicals with me (never knowing whom I am) talk about the posts.

Veteran EMS workers really do want younger participants to survive and do it successfully (Hey, who is going to take care of us ?) It is not we think we are better, just we have seen so many before you ... make the same mistake(s) , have the same though process, etc.. Why re-invent the wheel and learn life lessons again with the sacrifice to the patient and the medics as well.

Although, we did SERIOUSLY get side tracked, it is also nice, that there are diversified thoughts and opinions. If we thought all alike this forum would be VERY boring like some other EMS forums...

*UMStudent I had just graduated from high school & entered my freshman year @ OSU (OK. State Univ) as a President of the local "Young Democrats Org."...luncheon for him ( about 25 of us total). I was trying to be a delegate.

Be safe,

R/ R 911