Pet Peeve sayings

Ridryder 911

Mine is the basic bashers. I mean I have worked with some emt's of different levels and they bash basics. I do not understand why. Well wait yes I do, but everyone was a basic at one time or another. The way I was taught was to be a good paramedic you have to be a good basic.

It is funny I am in my 2nd semister of paramedic school. I have learned more the past 3 weeks than I think I ever have. LOL I mean there is so much more to this stuff than what meets the eyes.

Today I had a LPN ask me what I was going to school for. I very proudly said PARAMEDIC. His reply was go jump out of a plane to get ur rush and do Nursing to make the money. Why do people not get that we are not in this for the money but for challenges and other emotions that come with this job. I know that the pay and hours are not well but being able to help people in the situations we do is what makes it the best job.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These aren't sayings, but are a few things that bother me:

The "tattleteller" at the substation that has to run to the "big boss" about every little thing instead of either 1. handling it through correct channels, or 2. keeping their nose in their own job and out of everyone elses.

Or the person or crew that is on the opposite shift who leaves the truck/unit dirty and un-restocked or those that raid your truck of supplies......between shift changes.....

Those that gripe and complain about every little thing, instead of getting off their duff and doing something about it.

Or those that want to do all kinds of practical jokes and other silly things to others, but can't take a joke himself/herself.

Those who won't work as a team member......there isn't a lot of room in ems for one person shows.....

"Gomer," "Lizard," or any other term derogatory of the elderly or infirm. :x

"Crispy critter" :roll:

Ten codes. :roll:

"We don't diagnose! Only a doctor can diagnose!" :roll:

"My EMT school was six months long!" (yeah, but it was still only 120 hours. :roll: )

"My paramedic school was a year and a half long!" (yeah, but it was still only 1000 hours. :roll: )

"My school is the best school in the state!" (and the only one you've ever been to, so you have no idea wtf you're talking about. :roll: )

"My state has the best EMS in the country!" (not that you've ever spent five minutes looking at the EMS elsewhere. :roll: )

"Our basics get to do ________ !" (of course, you don't understand WHY you're doing it, but you can still do it! :roll: )

"I can do more than an RN can do!" (yeah, but you don't know a pheochromocytoma from an aminoglycoside. :roll: )

"Paramedics should be able to become RNs without all that extra school." (you're a retard :roll: )

"They shouldn't let RN's become medics." (because they are a threat to you and your little night-school certificate :roll: )

"My community can't afford paramedics." (But you can afford road crews, water engineers, janitors, secretaries, dispatchers, and bus drivers? :roll: )

"If the patient needs ALS, I just call for them." (of course, with 120 hours of training, you have no idea what the patient's problem is, much less whether or not he needs ALS :roll: )

"I'm just doing this til I get into medical school." LMAO!!! :lol:

• 1 month later...

"EMS is part of public safety." (Because we have lights and sirens? :roll: )

"EMS isn't just a job. It's a lifestyle." (So is pædophilia. :roll: )

"Type II's are too small to work in." (And the fact you weigh 300 pounds has nothing to do with it. :roll: )

"Bus." :roll:

"EMS is part of public safety." (Because we have lights and sirens? :roll: )

"EMS isn't just a job. It's a lifestyle." (So is pædophilia. :roll: )

"Type II's are too small to work in." (And the fact you weigh 300 pounds has nothing to do with it. :roll: )

"Bus." :roll:

"Paramedics and 911 are only EMS. Transfer services are not a part of EMS"

"EMT's are useless in the EMS system"

"If you drop the baby, pick it up" (Lets not drop it in the 1st place)

"I was too close to the hospital to do ALS" (*Loads shotgun full of 'stop your bitching you whining crybaby' buckshot*)

Any statement about advancing knowledge by people who have prove themselves stupid.

• 2 weeks later...

Here goes..............Orientated..Why put the extra syllable in there? It irks me to no end. (And yes I know it can be found in the dictionary) Just make it simple : "Pt was alert and oriented".

#2 Larnyx is not a word people! The Word you are trying to say is LARYNX! The Y precedes the N.

#3 This isn't a saying but it drives me mad. NO I do not need your (bystander/family) help to do this lift. And even if I did need help I would not be asking you. So screw off. Do you really think that I rely on the kindness of strangers to perform my job?

"Don't delay transport".

Back in the day, it used to take 20+ minutes to get to the scene. ALS was responding from....somewhere in the state, and had another 10+ minute ride. Then there was a 30-50 minute trip to the hospital. Paramedics used to scream that on the radio for almost every call. Sad part was there were many EMTs who didn't get it.

Don't have that problem now, as most ambulances are ALS.

Volunteer fire department "medical assists".

One area where I work is very suburban, bordering on rural. If you need a little help (more than just our supervisor), you call the VFD. At least 3 stations are dispatched, 6 guys with 8 fire trucks show up. One FF helps, and the rest stand there and watch, and talk. They all have radios, and use them, a lot. Then they call fire police for traffic control, because another 20 guys showed up in their POV with blue lights.

We leave the scene rapidly, there is apparatus and fire police on the scene for another half hour.

I hate all that absolutely pointless and useless crap that people say on the radio. All those words they insert into their conversations that they wouldn't use if they weren't on the radio. It's as if pressing the microphone button transforms people from a normally speaking person back into a truck driver on a CB in 1975. Some of the many examples, in context:

"Show us on the scene." (uhhh... it's YOUR job to show yourself on scene, not mine.)

"We're gonna be enroute" (Gonna be enroute? Call me back when you ARE enroute!)

"At this time patient's blood pressure is..." (Yeah, right. Your EMT took that BP 20 minutes ago.)

"Be advised we're back in district." (How exciting. I'll alert the media.)

"We're transporting times one." (How disappointing. I figured you could cram at least 4 grannies in there for your dialysis trip.)

"Conscious alert and oriented times three." (Sooo... then which parameter is he NOT oriented to? Or was your training so poor that you really think there are only three parameters?)

"Negative response to painful stimuli." (That would be "NO response," not a negative response. A "negative" response would be if she punched you in the face for twisting her nipples.)

"We're clear scene, Negatory injuries." (10-4 good buddy!)

Your really eat-up wackers will cram as many pointless words and phrases as humanly possible into every radio transmission, as if they are a broadcaster being paid by the word. A lot of them actually clear their throat and put on a special radio voice for the event. For example, instead of simply saying "28 priority 3 JPS," which the dispatcher understands perfectly clearly, the wacker will say something like...

• I just want to shove the microphone down the throat of those idiots.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.