Pet Peeve sayings

Ridryder 911

I know that people have already ranted about O2 STAT...... but I would like to share a little story.

3 days ago I'm in a local ER taking a patient to a SNF. All the RN's were busy so the ER Doc decided to give me a quick report. Toward the end of the report I asked about the patients recent vitals. He listed them off to me and then said, "and the O2 stats have been fluctuating, monitor them and keep 'em above 90%."

I looked him in the eye, and said, "Did you just say O2 STAT?"

He smiled and said to me without missing a beat, "I was just trying to sound like an ambulance driver." :lol:

We had a good laugh and I took away their patient.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NO the town that we volunteer for is a good distance away from a hospital and the paid paramedics and EMTs that transport take longer than most, and they are very thankful for our help!! But I guess if you want your relatives to wait thirty to forty minutes with no help go right ahead, we can't take away from something that will never exist in a small town sorry to disappoint you.

Firegurl

this is where i see the FLAWS in the US system.....

I likve in a small rural town (well twin towns, about 3 miles apart) it has a combined population of around 2000.

Yes we have a small hospital, but the docotors are not employed by the hospital, they have visiting rights and will attend if they are available.

We are approximately 40 minutes on L&S from the next centre that has ambulance response (asl and basic)

we cover about 1400 square miles with the staff at our station

we do doube crews during the day shift and the same crews are 'oncall' at night

that means that we have rostered on duty each day for 8 hours, and the rest of the 24 hr period is covered by the oncall officers.

All this and WE are a FULLY PAID service.

everyone has the right to have the most for their service, not knocking volunteers but all ems service should be paid.. it is only a short fall negligence from the govt, muncipality, service that will not do this........

stay safe

Pet peeves:

1. Use of "umm" more than twice during the radio report.

2. A dispatch to "an unconscious patient, alert and orientated".

3. Comparing systems and declaring which is best. Face it, we all s&ck.

4. When my partner launches out of the bay, sirens screaming, lights flashing, tires squealing in protest, the swerve onto the blacktop, knuckles white on the steering wheel, and yells "YOU KNOW WHERE WE"RE GOING?!?"

5. Long, over dramatic, extended, and pointless descriptions to the point that you are making.

6. Volunteer departments

7. Career departments

8. Departments that consist solely of retired foreigners :wink:

9. Jessica Simpson

10. Humor in general.

Another radio redundancy, which rates up in my top pet peeves.

One time I actually heard somebody acknowledge a radio transmission by saying this

• :shock:

Seriously! You can't make this crap up! :?

I am enjoying all the comments on this string...so here goes mine:

As a former dispatch manager turned field paramedic, the inadequacies in radio etiquette drive me absolutely insane, but I usually keep calm and quiet on the outside while exploding in my head - until one particular dispatcher tones us out, then has the nerve to say the following

"Medic 42, are you available to come up on the radio for a call?" and proceeds to wait for us to respond - HMMMM, does she realilze that she just toned us out for the call and we are already expecting a complete dispatch....one day, though, she is going to send me over the edge and I know I'm going to respond to her with "NO, not this one, maybe the next one." :roll:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.