Yuk. Eew. Gross.

P1

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive never used Vicks under the nose for those nasty smelling calls, but if you ever needed to use Vicks for its intended purpose would you not associate it with all those raunchy smells from the calls? Ive been told by one medic who said that she actually needed to use Vicks because she was sick, and the smell of it was what made her vomit- b/c she associated it with using it at work . I guess it depends on the person. I know Id make the gross association and be unable to use it for its intended purpose lol.

since this thread is still going strong here is what I do to get rid of the smell.

I was talking to a coroner in Jackson county and a CSI guy also and they gave me this piece of advice.

Carry vicks but make sure you use it prior to gettin in the nastyness. Once you have smelled the decomp the odor molecules will stick to your nose hairs. sounds far fetched but it's true. once they are there it is near impossible to get them off except to wait. The advice I got is once you get done with the call and change clothes and stuff, you need to sniff a little bit of water so it washes off the molecules.

i tried it and it worked. Very minimal smell left but I could continue to work. This works on almost any nasty odor.

LMAO...I'm reading all this crap as I'm munching on a yummy cheeseburger and fries for lunch. MMMmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....:dontknow:

It's amazing how some things bother you, and others don't. Guess ya get hardened after a while. Depends on the situation. Like I said earlier in this thread.....those were my bad ones. BLECH. :pukeleft:

The vicks thingie....I use it ALL the time. Every time I have stinky situation...I use it. It works great!!! And, if you can smell the stinkiness through the vicks...you KNOW you have yourself a real winner! :wink:

normally its the smell of feces for me. :pottytrain5:

THe only time i came close to actually vomiting on a call was an intox call at the police station. The call was for a male with a hand injury 2ndary to ETOH. When i got there the kid was in a chair with his hand cuffed to the wall. Everything was going fine until he started vomiting with incredible volume, force, and odor. In about 45 seconds he filled 1 and a half desk sized trashbins with vomit. It was so strong and sudden, i walked out of the room and dryheaved for about 30 sec. :-&

I can't handle maggots...we had them in a live pt one day, and he warned us before he took off the dressing. I left the house and let my partner deal. Something about them makes me hurl every time.

I realize more and more everyday how lucky I've been. 8 years in EMS and I've never had the pleasure of smelling a decomposed body or a crispy critter. I've also never seen maggots (whew!). Damn, that makes me shudder! :shock:

Yes sir, keep that white cloud directly over my head! :)

I cant handle having someone chuck up on the bus...Whats up with these small little bags they gave us to hand to a pt that is vomiting...They miss the bag and its all over the floor of the bus..I cant even hear the sound...I almost let go one day and i will never forget how fast i ran off that bus...Between the heat and the smell of puke....OH PLEASE.....

• 3 weeks later...

I have but once. We were called to a male pt with a history of bowel cancer. Turned up at the address & was hit by the stench of Melina as we walked through the door. Got to the patient & he was unable to control himself & was farting constantly, however each fart also contained fresh blood that was bubbling. So far so good. We knew he was a transport for palliative care & loaded him onto the stretcher, got him outside & into the truck & the bacon & eggs I had had for brekkie an hour earlier decided it was better out than in. Ended up driving to the hospital with the widow open & my head out the window. No a proud moment, but hey it happens.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.