Yuk. Eew. Gross.

P1

I went into a patients house last night and almost puked. There was a STRONG, vile, gross smell of pet (dog, cat, bird... I'm not an expert) urine. Which leads me to the question:

Has anyone puked or fainted on an emergency? What really grosses you out?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Beegers

Not yet. Came REALLY close many times. As well as in the hospital. The patient had a FULL colostomy bag that needed changing...Smell was so bad that my partner and I just couldn't go into the room. My partner said it really was that bad as he has is usually the one who can handle ANYTHING.

We were transporting a critcal care from the hospital to a long term acute care facility. We had our company nurse and a respiratory therapist from the hospital. They had me sit up front during the transport because it was just too tight in the back (2 big guys and equipment). The patient took a nasty shit during the trip. I was sooooo happy to be up front. It was so bad that the nurse and therapist took turns sticking their head up front for fresh air.

:oops: Ummm....yeah....I have. I ended up with someone's spaghetti-laced vomit in my HAIR, as well as other lost bodily functions surrounding me in the middle of a NASTY code. :roll:

Literally....turned to the side...threw up in the trash can about 3 times, :pukeleft: wiped the mouth on the sleeve, and continued with compressions. :dontknow:

Whadd'ya gonna do? It's part of the job.

I also had someone in ER with a HORRIBLE anal abscess that had to be drained. I've never seen anything quite so gross...or smell quite so bad. (It was worse than an GI bleed, as far as I'm concerned.) :shock: I puked on that one too....but made it to the bathroom in private. lol.

On that note......YIPPEE!!!!!!!...........I can't wait to go to work! lmao

I went into a patients house last night and almost puked. There was a STRONG, vile, gross smell of pet (dog, cat, bird... I'm not an expert) urine. Which leads me to the question:

Has anyone puked or fainted on an emergency? What really grosses you out?

I've puked after every field delivery I've done. All three of them.

I've puked after every field delivery I've done. All three of them.

I almost puked while working maternity shifts. After delivery we have to scoop the blood from the bed into a bowl to measure blood loss. I scooped and saw blood and a turd in my (double gloved) hands. I just heald my breath and finished.

Never horked on scene, but i am terribly allergic to cats,,made a run where a lady had 68 cats,,,walked in and immediately began to wheeze up,,,told my partner to get the pt outside and i'd deal with her there,,,i can handle a few cats but 68 was an excessive exposure.

Closest i came to tossing cookies,,,several years ago i worked for a private service that had the county coroners contract,,,baggin and taggin. The bodies never bothered me. I had learned little breathing tricks that kept u from smelling the stench of a real rotter.

On one occasion tho, we went into a low rent apartment,,guy had been dead about 2 weeks and was lying on the couch,,,,we lie the bag on the floor next to him, unzip it and went to pick the guy up. He had molded to the cushions of the couch,,,we had to rock him back and forth several times to "break" him free. When he finally gave way, there was a bottle of Mad Dog 20/20 underneath him. I began laughing soo hard that i was breathing in that foul air and tasting that nastiness. I ran over to the window,,,still laughing and gagging at the same time with my head out the window. My partner walked over to me and asked what I was laughing at,,,,I pointed at the bottle of MD 20/20 and said "i knew that crap would kill somebody one day"

Never horked on scene, but i am terribly allergic to cats,,made a run where a lady had 68 cats,,,walked in and immediately began to wheeze up,,,told my partner to get the pt outside and i'd deal with her there,,,i can handle a few cats but 68 was an excessive exposure.

My partner is also allergic to cats. If I even see a cat hair on a pt. or a litter box when we're inside their home, I tell him to go on outside. I've even ridden his pts. in before so he doesn't have a reaction.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.