Yuk. Eew. Gross.

P1

I came close, but as they say....no cigar! Got called as a Firefighter to a private residence, for a woman who had been dead for about 10 days in 90°F + heat. She had no face, due to the hungry little maggots running all around. She was stuck to the sofa, and obviously had started to bloat. We were instructed to place a body bag over her, then roll her forward into it. When I picked up her feet, it was like moving a water balloon....and when I set them back down on the floor (before pulling up the body bag) I noticed a small air bubble moving up from her ankle to he dorsal aspect of her foot. Actually had to peel her off the cushions of the couch. when we rolled her forward into the body bag, I happened to look at the couch where she'd been sitting, and noticed that the skin from the back of her legs, arms, neck and the back of her scalp were still firmly attached to the couch cushions....and was moving. (I'm sure you can figure out what was doing the moving) Even in a SCBA, you could actually taste the decomposition. Gawd, just thinking about it makes my stomach turn!

Another call involved having to use a shovel to pry a body loose from the carpet (thick shag carpet that melted in the heat of a full blown structure fire.) Guess you could say that one was just a little over done!

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never puked have come very very close though, the district we work in is mainly elderly residents and a lot of them have tons of animals. I can remember one very well, female pt pushing 300lbs diabetic in this house that smelled like a combination of every horrible smelly thing you could think of, and to add to the wonderful smell we got to deal with...(her included) she heaves all over the place. There is puke everywhere (thankfully i was running the clipboard that day) one of our guys is at her head practically kneeling in it my face is buried in my shirt sleeve as i am trying not to gag. I usually do not puke but between the house and the 300lb woman who hadn't showered in a week it was a struggle for me to keep breakfast down. It was not one of my finer moments and I now consider using Vicks before going into any house that has the possibility of being less than aromatic. :lol:

when we rolled her forward into the body bag, I happened to look at the couch where she'd been sitting, and noticed that the skin from the back of her legs, arms, neck and the back of her scalp were still firmly attached to the couch cushions....and was moving.

Uck... :pukeleft: I have had a situation like that before, where the decomposition was so bad that the skin just kind of slithered off the bones...almost like a degloving, but a lot slimier. BLECH. It reminded me of a well-done piece of meat, where you grab the bone and the rest just falls off. NAST!

Last Friday night--worked a code--Hit the stomach with a tube (the pt airway was very small and took another try to hit it) caused a geyser--my wife was present and kept saying 'easy! Easy!' still got it all over my pants--it was a nasty pink color and the pt. had consumed some type of fish with red wine.

Never puked on a delivery--But I have on a rough ride with a non emergent patient.

I also get motion sick very easily- why am I a medic????? Driving is better for me...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.