Leaving a High-Paying Job for EMS

Would You Leave a High-Paying Job for EMS?  

26 members have voted

1. 1.

• Ummm...no!
    • I don't know. How HIGH are we talking about?
    • Maybe. I have to REALLY love EMS (and I do mean LOOOOVE).
    • Yes I would, but it won't be easy. Man, it won't be easy!
    • Oh, yeah! EMS so rocks!!!

I was once a public school teacher making from $39,000 to over $43,000 a year. I left that to return to EMS and to make less than HALF that much. Was I crazy to do it? If I were to make EMS my living, I would definitely go for my medic to make a better and more secure salary. Paramedics in NYC get paid nicely (relatively speaking).

Money is not everything for me. I would much rather have a job that I'll be happy and make a poor salary than to be in a job I hate and make an awesome salary. No one should let money be a factor when determining what career he or she wants to do. Happiness is what's more important. But you still think about, "Man, I had some nice-looking checks before. Now my checks look like a stipend for groceries."

What do you think?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What do you think?

I think if you believe $40k is "high paying," you need to set your sights higher! :lol:

Anyhow, as to your question, why not do both? Why not be in EMS and make $40k? There are certainly services that pay that. And even better yet, there are services in much nicer areas where the cost of living is low enough that $40k actually IS good money!

$40k is slave wages in NYC.

I like the rest could not do my job if I did not enjoy it no matter what the pay!!

I have a friend of mine that is a teacher and she works the ambulance on the weekends, Some times when she needs some extra money she will pull a shift during the week after school hours until the next morning.

See you can have your cake and eat it to...

I think one needs to really look and explore before making a choice. I went back into the field full time about a year ago, making about 1/2 what I was making an hour. The reason was I becoming very disgruntled nurse, and hated getting up every day. Whenever you become apathetic towards people it is either time to take some time off or change careers... I love the working in the field, but realistically the pay sucks.

I am fortunate, my EMS is one of the highest paid in the state and since I had so much experience and with guaranteed overtime, I make more than I did as a RN due to the number of hours I work. I am also fortunate, I do not have the financial responsibilities as well as some do. But, one needs to look and explore all options as Dust describes. Yes, you need to be happy at work .... very true as I described, but you also need to remember ...will you be happy after a period time, if you have to work several jobs, not being able to pay bills, or neglect your family ?

So many get in EMS or return because the love of the job, only to really learn to hate the job because of poor finances. We can all describe how this job is like a drug.. once it gets into your system it is hard to get out. But, we also need to realize the need of financial responsibilities as well. One cannot "always follow your heart".. one sometimes needs to follow your head and pocket book as well.

I never fault anyone leaving the field for better paying job. I do understand it. Please don't give me the " money isn't everything " and "one knows when you enter the field it doesn't pay much.. and we don't do it for the pay" speeches. It is because EMT's will work for minimum wage or volunteer the reason we get paid as we do.

Yes, other factors are accounted as well. Education level, and again supply and demand. Hmm there we go again.. there are a line of EMT's wanting the fix of working in the field.

It is a shame that this is even an issue..

So hopefully, EMS will start paying accordingly and bring the pay to be able to provide its workers a decent salary so decisions doesn't have to be made. But I doubt I see this in my career. Definitely not the way we are proceeding.

Be safe,

R/R 911

The money that I make is largely why I continue to work where I do and do what I do. I do enjoy the profession and everything with it, but money does matter. I couldn't fathom doing this job (and really that's what it is, a job) for only $30-40k a year.

I left the field to pursue a higher paying job. I was already having back problems and they have gotten worse not better since I left the field.

My higher paying job was actually just a little more than 5k a year higher. I have since changed jobs and work in the consulting field going around to hospitals and helping them implement a ER tracking system that tracks patients from when they walk in the door to when they leave. It's challenging and puts me out of the house in a different city 4 days a week plus I increased my pay by 100%

I am looking now to get off the road and have found that I've priced myself out of the local market for Hospital IT due to being paid consultant's wages. I'm gonna have to take a paycut. Not sure how much but It will be a big chunk, upwards of 10K or more. But the trade off is that I am home every night and not flying on a plane monday mornings and Thursday nights. That's a good trade off

So yes I'd take a lower paying job but it's a case by case basis for me.

I will be leaving a higher paying job. I am currently a Mechanical Designer/Drafter doing mostly contract work.

Why contract work, Because companies are to Cheap, they don't want to have to pay for benefits and so on.

My only problem is that as a new EMT-B W/soon to be IV Certified. It's hard to get a Job.

What to Do???? :lol:

Any Suggestions??? :roll:

Well....I've done it both ways, folks....and no matter how you slice it....I end up with the same result.

I had a higher paying supervisory office job, and worked EMS on the side for a while. I found myself HATING to get up for my other job, and at the end of the day, even though I was dog tired, I couldn't wait to get to my other job and start my EMS shift...working until the a.m., and then going back to my higher paying job again. I was miserable all the hours I wasn't doing EMS work, and was literally killing myself trying to be "happy" making more money, just to find out that I hated life, and had no time to spend the money anyway. There was no logical choice but for me to go back to doing what I love.

The pay sucks....there's no doubt, and it needs to change...and eventually I think it probably will, however, I have my heart, soul, mind, body, and every inch of my being into EMS. You couldn't lure me away for all the money in the world. It's what I love to do. I am not happy anywhere else....I've tried. It may not be for everyone, but money means nothing to me. I, like Rid, don't have a lot of financial debts. As long as I have the basic necessities of life, I'm a happy girl. I won't be making a change, EVER. It's where I'm happy. It's where I belong. :blob7:

I also left a comfortable living to start a second career in EMS. Albeit, my circumstances where a little different. My wife and I moved to the US when she took a position as an OR nurse at the Trauma centre here. I couldn't work initially, ( immigration issues ) so I was looking for something to do. I signed up for classes as an EMT-B and have enjoyed most of my short time in it. So much so, that I now am enrolled at the CC in the Paramedic program. Our first class was last night and it sounds like it will be a tough road but rewarding in the end.

Going back to school is a bit overwhelming, but I well persevere! LMAO

I'll keep you posted as classes progress.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.